Norwegian Fjords cruise question

wbrumel

I was able to use USD for a small purchase once, and received my change in Krone. Larger purchases were always made with a credit card.

I've never used Euro in Norway, and don't remember if they are ever accepted.

We are bringing Krone for small purchases like snacks and drinks. Using our debit card and PIN if our credit card does not work. Our shore excursions and tours are mostly already paid and ticketed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suggest you get some Krone in advance. I do use foreign ATMs, but I like to have some starter cash when I travel. Check to see if your bank has connections with foreign banks that will save you some money on out-of-network fees. Bank of America does this; I don't know if other banks do.

3rd - does BOA still offer the lower cost connections?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You mean the international partners? It's on their website. There's a list of maybe 6-8 different banks, depending on the country. The last time I used an out of US ATM was Canada last fall. Their partner in Canada is Scotiabank. Or at least it was in September. For years we were able to get Euros and GBP at our BoA easily because they kept them in stock, so no shipping fee, no wait. Now we are charged the shipping fee for currency, even though I think they probably still have the more common currencies in the vault. (I now get foreign cash at Chase, no shipping fee)

Get some Krona ... Norway is neither in the euro zone or the USA last time I looked !

It never fails to amaze me how often I see currency questions where people simply can't be bothered to get foreign currency and expect the retailers of said countries to indulge them :rolleyes:

You don't absolutely, positively need local currency; but it's good to have a little, IMO, for incidental purchases. Like RuthC, I use a credit card (with no foreign transaction fees) for more significant purchases.

Everywhere you go in Norway, the citizens use their ATM card for every purchase. There's even been talk that they're going to be the first cashless society.

When traveling, I use a no charge ATM card from my credit union for cash withdrawals. But the vast majority of my transactions are on a Capital One Venture Visa card where I have some legal rights that ATM cards don't have. We use very litle local currency when traveling now.