Celebrity with kids and teens

Canadianmama3

I'm exploring potential cruises for march 2019 with my kids. I have to teens and one that will be 8. How would celebrity be cruising with those ages? I want the kids to have fun with activities just for them, other kids their age etc. But I'm trying to avoid a huge drunk party atmosphere.

My husband and i took a short carnival cruise on carnival. And we had a blast and there were lots of kids on board but that's not a cruise I would take my kids on.

Budget is important or else I would just book Disney lol. I saw some good deals on celebrity but I'm not sure if my kids would have a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Also wanted to add my kids are the type that can go into a fancy restaurant and behave themselves. So I know they won't bother other passengers who don't like having lots of kids around. Just not sure if my kids would enjoy celebrity since I don't much about it.

Thanks

Personally speaking - I think this would be a real snooze fest for them. Yes there are children, more if during Holidays. Non holidays it is few. Cruises over 7 days - very few.

The small one would probably really enjoy the kids club but the older ones ??? Why not look at some lines that have more activities - wave rider, rock climbing, etc. I think Celebrity is pretty much a quiet, older crowd and the line that does not cater to teens.

You may want to look into Royal Caribbean. A friend of mine always took a yearly winter break cruise on RCCL with her two sons as they were growing up.,

She and her hubby took a family cruise with their grandchildren ages 6 up to 17 this past January.

They all had a great time !

It totally depends on your children. If they're content without the water slides, rock walls, etc., then yes, they will enjoy themselves on Celebrity. If they need to be entertained, I'd rethink it.

My kids have been on Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity four or five times each. They are now 13 and 10, and have been cruising since they were 5 and 2. They both love Celebrity. They like the shows, the food, the pool, and the family friendly activities, especially scavenger hunts. They have never really been interested in the kids clubs on any line. My daughter will usually go once or twice a cruise, but my son never goes.

That said, a 7 day cruise, even on Carnival, doesn't have the same atmosphere as a weekend cruise.

We've seen occasional bad passenger behavior on all lines. I always joke that the only time I have seen a fight in the dining room and a guy wearing a wife-beater on formal night, were both on Celebrity. We have family cruises booked on Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Celebrity over the next year. My advice would be to pick based on price and itinerary, rather than cruise line.

Because we are looking at going in march it's the spring break crowd that concerns me. I trust my teens completely but I don't need them subjected to partying college students. I know this may sound horrible but my daughter will be just a few months shy of 16 and she's a very pretty young girl (I know I'm biased lol). I'm very concerned about her being subjected to what college guys can be like when drinking.

I was originally thinking of a week long on carnival but I'm still concerned. Guess I'm trying to find something they will have fun on without the college/young adult crowd. Cause let's be hones we've all been there and know what they can be like lol.

Because we are looking at going in march it's the spring break crowd that concerns me. I trust my teens completely but I don't need them subjected to partying college students. I know this may sound horrible but my daughter will be just a few months shy of 16 and she's a very pretty young girl (I know I'm biased lol). I'm very concerned about her being subjected to what college guys can be like when drinking.

I was originally thinking of a week long on carnival but I'm still concerned. Guess I'm trying to find something they will have fun on without the college/young adult crowd. Cause let's be hones we've all been there and know what they can be like lol.

Celebrity may be perfect for you, they do not have the typical spring break crowd. I have been on NCL during Spring break and there were loads of drunk kids. We were near a Carnival ship in Nassau and I think the whole ship emptied into SEnor Frogs nearby. Celebrity is a lot quieter but yet my kids always found loads of things to do.

We were on a 'so called spring break' cruise on Celebrity a couple of years ago ... it was a Pacific Coastal so I am sure the Caribbean might be a different story. Of the 5 or so kids under 15 that were onboard ... I overheard one telling her mom, 'this is intolerable'!! Poor thing was bored to tears.

I wouldn't recommend Carnival, based on what you want out of it for your kids, but think RCCL will be right down the middle and possibly be your best choice. Whatever you decide, hope you and your kids have a great cruise.

We sailed on a 14-night Baltic cruise on Celebrity Eclipse two years ago, and will be on a 14-night British Isles cruise on the Eclipse in June. My daughters were 15 and 18 at the time. The 15 year old had a blast. She met new friends at the teen club and hung out with them every possible moment. They played sports, went to the shows together, hung out talking until late. Never rowdy or misbehaving, just enjoying each other's company. On formal night the girls all dressed up and took a photo together. She still keeps in touch with some of them. The 18 year old has never been one to go to the teen club and meet new people. She was happy to go to the spa and adult pool. My youngest recently met a whole new group of friends on the Disney Wonder. She's really looking forward to our British cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks guys. I'm looking at several different options, celebrity, princess, msc etc. I have lots of time to decide. I appreciate the input.

My daughter did start hinting last night that she would really like a water slide though. So maybe celebrity won't work.

Another vote for Royal Caribbean. My dd has always had fun on their cruises. Lots of activities to keep them busy. That said, I've never been during Spring Break but I do think a week long cruise will be better than a short cruise in that time frame.

My kids are 9 and 11. They have sailed on Celebrity, Royal, Holland, Disney, and Carnival.

Their favourite by far is celebrity.

If your kids "crave" activity - rock climbing, water slides, zip line, flo rider etc - then Royal would be the way to go. There are far more activities on Royal. My kids hate the kids club on Royal and won't go. They insist on hanging with us.

If your kids like to read, play with ipads, enjoy quite time and don't like being around hundreds of screaming kids (in the kid's club atmosphere or at the pools), then like my kids, they will enjoy celebrity. The pools are often empty on celebrity (depends on the sailing) and my kids love just floating in the pool whereas on Royal, they are always fighitng for a spot in the crowded pool. My kids really like the kid's club on celebrity and always want to go. My son enjoys the xbox. My daughter (not sure what she likes about it) but always wants to be at the celebrity kid's club. My kids prefer the food and the service on Celebrity.

It really depends on the kids.

My kids are 9 and 11. They have sailed on Celebrity, Royal, Holland, Disney, and Carnival.

Their favourite by far is celebrity.

If your kids "crave" activity - rock climbing, water slides, zip line, flo rider etc - then Royal would be the way to go. There are far more activities on Royal. My kids hate the kids club on Royal and won't go. They insist on hanging with us.

If your kids like to read, play with ipads, enjoy quite time and don't like being around hundreds of screaming kids (in the kid's club atmosphere or at the pools), then like my kids, they will enjoy celebrity. The pools are often empty on celebrity (depends on the sailing) and my kids love just floating in the pool whereas on Royal, they are always fighitng for a spot in the crowded pool. My kids really like the kid's club on celebrity and always want to go. My son enjoys the xbox. My daughter (not sure what she likes about it) but always wants to be at the celebrity kid's club. My kids prefer the food and the service on Celebrity.

It really depends on the kids.

Totally agree

Our kids preferred the celebrity club

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would look toward Royal Caribbean. Our child loved the atmosphere. Just a lively ship with more energy. On Celebrity, there were very few children and the atmosphere is laid back. Even on vacation weeks. Royal Caribbean is a nice compromise.

You will find people writing here saying their kids like the food and service on Celebrity. Who is really speaking here!

We've taken 3 spring break cruises on RCCL with two of our grandkids who are now 9 and 14. They have had a blast every time. They loved the kids club and the teen club. Nearly impossible to drag them out. Strangely they had little interest in the rock walls, zip line, and wave boards. But they had tremendous fun. We did Oasis, Allure, and Harmony. There were tons of kids but things never felt crowded. I really think they would like Celebrity at spring break time I'm just nervous to switch. I've checked out their teen and kids club the last time we were on Celebrity and it looked very comparable to RCCL as far as the physical layout and the events they offered.

Linda

I would look toward Royal Caribbean. Our child loved the atmosphere. Just a lively ship with more energy. On Celebrity, there were very few children and the atmosphere is laid back. Even on vacation weeks. Royal Caribbean is a nice compromise.

You will find people writing here saying their kids like the food and service on Celebrity. Who is really speaking here!

My kids adored the food on celebrity , more than royal . Especially in the main dining room . The waiters were amazing with them , let the kids try a dish and on the rare occasion they weren't keen would happily replace it with an alternative . We are taking them to Qsine with us this year , it's a great way of introducing kids ( one of which is very adventurous and one who isn't ) to try all types of great food .

My two prefer the laid back less kids in the club approach , it depends on the child I guess but my two have stated that they never want to go back to Royal , Celebrity is their favourite .

Probably because last time we went on Royal ex uk there were 950 kids on board .... !!! [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As others have said it depends very much on the length of cruise and the time of year. On our cruise last February there were no more than three children (all babies) and that on a full solstice class ship. Our next cruise is over Easter so it will be interesting to see how many more families are on board.