Disembarkation

sk8rmomof3

When we cruised last year, without children, we hated the way Royal Caribbean would smash us in like sardines and make us sit in a room for an hour waiting to leave. We said we would always choose self-assist from that moment on. I've had that thought in my head this whole planning process. HOWEVER, I just realized that self-assist means waking up at 6am and not really leaving time for breakfast. On RC last year, we didn't show up to port til 9am so we sat in the buffet area and ate breakfast while watching the ship dock. It was a little more leisurely (Except for having to then go stand in a room for an hour and be frustrated).....

I'm just curious.......with Carnival, would it better better for us to not self-assist so we can actually eat breakfast? I'm not worried about myself eating, but I'm just thinking that the kids would NOT be happy with lines and going back through customs and stuff on an empty stomach. We have no hurry to get off the boat because our flight isn't until 3pm, so we have no where to go between disembarkation and the flight......

When we cruised last year, without children, we hated the way Royal Caribbean would smash us in like sardines and make us sit in a room for an hour waiting to leave. We said we would always choose self-assist from that moment on. I've had that thought in my head this whole planning process. HOWEVER, I just realized that self-assist means waking up at 6am and not really leaving time for breakfast. On RC last year, we didn't show up to port til 9am so we sat in the buffet area and ate breakfast while watching the ship dock. It was a little more leisurely (Except for having to then go stand in a room for an hour and be frustrated).....

I'm just curious.......with Carnival, would it better better for us to not self-assist so we can actually eat breakfast? I'm not worried about myself eating, but I'm just thinking that the kids would NOT be happy with lines and going back through customs and stuff on an empty stomach. We have no hurry to get off the boat because our flight isn't until 3pm, so we have no where to go between disembarkation and the flight......

Why do you have to get up at 6am to "self assist"? If you get up later are they going to not let you off the boat?

If your flight is that late, and you have no where to be... I would go have a nice breakfast, take your time, and wait to get off the ship until the main "rush" is over! The first hour or so is the worst! Diamond/Platinum, Self assist, regular zone, etc... it is all a little chaotic. You are just going to go sit in the airport anyhow, might as well avoid all the major chaos getting off!

Carnival has an option to have your flight boarding passes printed and delivered to your cabin. They take your luggage the night before and the next time you see it is at your destination airport. We paid $20 a person for this option and it was the best $20 I spent on the cruise. We got to skip getting our luggage at the port and lugging it around. We skipped printing boarding passes/check in at the airport. With TSA we breezed through security. Ft. Lauderdale airport is a nightmare of lines so any you can skip is worth $20

Why do you have to get up at 6am to "self assist"? If you get up later are they going to not let you off the boat?

Ha ha...I guess that was kind of my question. I wasn't sure if we did self-assist, would they let us just stay in at our leisure and get off the ship towards the end? I knew there was a certain order in which they have people get off, and I wasn't sure if when they call self-assist you HAD to get off, or if that's really just for the people that are in a hurry to get to the airport.

Carnival has an option to have your flight boarding passes printed and delivered to your cabin. They take your luggage the night before and the next time you see it is at your destination airport. We paid $20 a person for this option and it was the best $20 I spent on the cruise. We got to skip getting our luggage at the port and lugging it around. We skipped printing boarding passes/check in at the airport. With TSA we breezed through security. Ft. Lauderdale airport is a nightmare of lines so any you can skip is worth $20

That's interesting! We will only have 3 bags to check. But that sounds really nice to not have to worry about lines at the airport! I was thinking about trying to find a place for lunch before going to the airport. It would be nice not to have to lug our suitcases with us! I wasn't even figuring out how to get to the airport yet, I figured there will be plenty of taxi cabs ready for us!

They no longer offer Luggage Express.

Ha ha...I guess that was kind of my question. I wasn't sure if we did self-assist, would they let us just stay in at our leisure and get off the ship towards the end? I knew there was a certain order in which they have people get off, and I wasn't sure if when they call self-assist you HAD to get off, or if that's really just for the people that are in a hurry to get to the airport.

If you self assist, you can join the debarkation line at your leisure.

Also, you can debarkation the ship anytime after your debarkation zone (debarkation luggage tag number) has been called. On Carnival, you can wait in any of the designated waiting areas.

We've mostly done the 'self-assist' in past cruises (14) but this last cruise CCL Magic/Port Orlando 3-18/25-2017 we decided to do the 'bags in the hall' thingee. for a change. Acutually it went smoothly, till the escalators in the Port Authority Blg went down an hour after disbark started and the feds stopped all disenbarkment. Sooo we got to sit on either decks 5 or 9 for about another hour and a half till they fixed 'em. But, like life AND cruises, unfortunate things happen ya just accept things that you can't change deal with it and look forwards to your next cruise. I was AMAZED that there wasn't a lot more griping and whining from 'cry baby' spoiled passengers. Most, seemed to take the whole thing in stride w/a grain of salt. Still, the $20 per person fee and never having to touch your bag/fly (if you're flying, that is) sounds awfully interesting. The only thing I'd wish they'd work out is the 2 lines in the PA Blg, you have the people picking up their bags from the overnight zones trying to merge with the self assist folks. :( Of course, you have folks who don't wanna let anybody in front soo it's a game of 'chicken' and sometimes tempers do get a bit testy. But, I'm not smart enough or have the power to make the changes for the better, that is, IF there is a better way? Any suggestions out there :)

Mac

Every company is different of course, but on our RCCL cruise we just went down and got in line when we were ready. The policy they had sounded very similar to Carnival but it seemed to me that everyone just went when they were ready. I would suppose it depends on how much luggage you have also, we only have one large suitcase in addition to the carry-on styels that we'll travel with and it is a spinner style so it really doesn't take up any space in line.

Every company is different of course, but on our RCCL cruise we just went down and got in line when we were ready. The policy they had sounded very similar to Carnival but it seemed to me that everyone just went when they were ready. I would suppose it depends on how much luggage you have also, we only have one large suitcase in addition to the carry-on styels that we'll travel with and it is a spinner style so it really doesn't take up any space in line.

We have 5 people and 3 suitcases, all on spinner wheels. Plus we each have a carry on, but not heavy and backpack style. It's really not much to move around. We're light packers. I really don't mind taking care of our own baggage. I just didn't want to be the first ones off the ship and then have to worry about hungry kids AND have to pay for a breakfast off the ship when it's free on the ship!

We have 5 people and 3 suitcases, all on spinner wheels. Plus we each have a carry on, but not heavy and backpack style. It's really not much to move around. We're light packers. I really don't mind taking care of our own baggage. I just didn't want to be the first ones off the ship and then have to worry about hungry kids AND have to pay for a breakfast off the ship when it's free on the ship!

I can't imagine them caring when you get off in that case. And once you get off you won't be clogging up the baggage claim area either so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks all! Puts my mind at ease! I am glad I don't have to worry then! And you are right, I'm sure that as long as we get off eventually, they won't care. Ha ha. They aren't going to make us stay on. Although, darn if they do ;)