Question for first time cruising with NCL

Laserjock

Hello there,

I am going to apologize now for asking a couple of questions that I know may have been answered and I have spent quite some time searching the board for answers but not finding the search as useful as it once was. Not a big fan of the new format but to each his own.

My wife and I are looking to plan a quick cruise as a "sanity" cruise later this year and we have heard that NCL is an underappreciated line. We have been on Holland and most recently MSC 7 day cruises but never taken a shorter 4 day cruise.

I have questions about the owner suites on ships like the Sky. They look nice but I do have questions over the utility of the balconies given they appear to be solid and not glass so when you sit you lose your view. Is that the case and has it been a problem for anyone?

I have had difficulty finding decent reviews that include pictures of the owners suites vs say the penthouse suites on ships like the Sky. I have found it amusingly frustrating at how few actual pictures can be found out on the web for things like this given I can find it for other cruise lines without issue.

Sorry for what is probably a rehash topic but just trying to decide on NCL and appreciate opinions and recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

I have better than photos of the Owner's suite on Sky - here'a video tour but keep in mind it is prior to the dry dock where the cabins will be given a major facelift:

Although the balcony wall is solid, I did not find this a problem when lounging out there as it slants in and was low enough for even me to see out and I'm 5'3". I would book the Sky owner's suite to get the hot tub!

But...here's a penthouse on the Sky - also prior to the dry dock:

Incidentally the Owner's suite comes with the extra perks of 3 bottles of booze (your choice) and a huge welcome aboard flower arrangement. As you can see, it is considerably bigger than the penthouse. Breakfast and lunch for suite guests is served in a restaurant and they really have a great spread for breakfast plus a hot menu and then lunch has a menu that's really great (I highly recommend the veal.)

NCL Sky has gone all-inclusive. It was supposed to be dry-docked between Jan 23 and Feb 10 of this year, but it's not included as updated on the Norwegian Edge website yet, but Jade is and Jade was not supposed to be dry-docked until this spring or even 2019 so maybe NCL swapped Jade for Sky in the dry dock schedule, so I'm not sure if Sky was dry-docked yet or not. What was planned was:

• extensive updates to public areas and staterooms

I know on other NCL ships, the suites, in particular got major upgrades with the newer furniture, carpets, headboards, tvs, usb outlets and they tamed the colors down to brown, cream, taupe.

Edited by SuiteTraveler