Oceania Guarantees..do they still exist?

ljdando

I think the changes were made late last fall

If you booked a cruise before late fall there were more GTY's offered but for new bookings they may have cut back on how many GTY cabins will be allowed in each Category

I think they were overbooking the GTY's & finding they were paying out more to move people to other sailings or upgrades etc...

I could be wrong as I have no knowledge of the inner workings of the revenue dept but there seemed to be a lot of offers flying around last year than in previous years

JMO

We just booked our first Oceania cruise yesterday. When my TA looked up the available cabins, there was only one left in our category. When she went to book, the cabin is "being held" (I guess they can be held for 5 days), so we were offered a G in the same category. Not a reduction in price mind you, but we will be somewhere there or upward!

We just booked our first Oceania cruise yesterday. When my TA looked up the available cabins, there was only one left in our category. When she went to book, the cabin is "being held" (I guess they can be held for 5 days), so we were offered a G in the same category. Not a reduction in price mind you, but we will be somewhere there or upward!

The important thing is to understand what you are buying into. A Guarantee is a wonderful tool IF you are the type who is flexible about cabin location.

Guarantees are now being offered on my May Alaska cruise. I could have sworn when I booked the F&G categories were wait listed. The G is now listed as Guaranteed.

This is my first cruise ever. Hard to tell if I'm getting a good deal or not.

It's the change from wait listed to Guaranteed that confuses me.

Vic

Well, if you are wait listed you might not get the room. That level of cabin sells out very quickly.

If you are guaranteed -- you will at least have a room, and maybe one at a higher level for no additional cost. BUT sometimes when they move you up, you might end up with a very forward or aft room, which might be more susceptible to sea motion. But at least you know you will have a room.

The one time we had a guarantee, we ended up midships. You just never know.

But if you really want this cruise, then I'd say take the guarantee.

Mura

I booked a guarantee back in July of last year when I booked my 5/9/17 cruise. I still have not been assigned my cabin. My TA contacted O and was informed they will not assign the cabin until the day of sailing. While it is disappointing not to know what cabin I will be in, that is okay with me.

• 1 month later...

I am booked on the December 2nd cruise on the Riviera as a guarantee in the B level. Not recalling which one at the moment, it seems to be a "selling fast" cruise, with lots of wait listed categories and the one cruise left out of the Memorial Day sale. I do not really expect an upgrade, plans are still up in the air, but decided to grab the guarantee until we make the final decision. For now fingers crossed on the location. How soon before sailing when you know the actual cabin location?

Yay, that will be some surprise then.:o Thanks. Not sweating the details yet, plenty of time.:cool:

Here's some information about luggage tags that may reduce the amount of sweating you'll be doing as you approach your sail away date:

I've never booked a guarantee so I don't know how complete the pre-printed information will be on the luggage tags you'll be sent, but I know the four pieces of information on all official luggage tags: passenger name, cabin number, date of cruise, and name of ship. Since you already know three of those four pieces of information, you can fill in 3/4 of your Oceania-provided tag even if it arrives empty or, if you have to make your own tag.

If you come to the pier without a cabin assignment, you'll hook up with the chief porter who will have the current passenger list. At that time you or he can simply fill in the missing cabin number. If you bring a marker, the number will be as bold and easy to read as the pre-printed tags. (I've only seen the porters use pen, which is why I've added this detail.)

Your anxiety isn't unique, but I can't recall anyone in your position sharing a horror story after his/her cruise. Everything seems to work just fine, even on a last-minute basis.

I've attached a picture of an official Oceania luggage tag.

1909060361_OceaniaLuggageTags--lowerres.jpg.71ef8292de40d71d2c6876aab3434bed.jpg

Last year I misplaced my booklet and since it was so late they sent me blank tags. And then at the last minute I found my booklet, and all was saved. But I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble getting tags at the port if it comes to that.

Mura

I booked a GTY PH3 in May on Nautical. About 2 weeks later it was changed to the same PH3 stateroom I have booked on a cruise next month on the Sirena. It worked out faster than I thought!

Here's some information about luggage tags that may reduce the amount of sweating you'll be doing as you approach your sail away date:

I've never booked a guarantee so I don't know how complete the pre-printed information will be on the luggage tags you'll be sent, but I know the four pieces of information on all official luggage tags: passenger name, cabin number, date of cruise, and name of ship. Since you already know three of those four pieces of information, you can fill in 3/4 of your Oceania-provided tag even if it arrives empty or, if you have to make your own tag.

If you come to the pier without a cabin assignment, you'll hook up with the chief porter who will have the current passenger list. At that time you or he can simply fill in the missing cabin number. If you bring a marker, the number will be as bold and easy to read as the pre-printed tags. (I've only seen the porters use pen, which is why I've added this detail.)

Your anxiety isn't unique, but I can't recall anyone in your position sharing a horror story after his/her cruise. Everything seems to work just fine, even on a last-minute basis.

I've attached a picture of an official Oceania luggage tag.

Much appreciated. I am sure it will be ok, sometimes one can go a little cuckoo trying to book the perfect cabin. The cruise Gods will be in charge.;p

Ops, just thought of something. Can I end up with an obstructed view in the B categories? Balconies are important for us, I can't tell from the layout if any balconies have view issues.

I do not think there are any but maybe the ones near the front on deck 7 have the wall so you cannot see forward unless you lean over the rail

I do not think there are any but maybe the ones near the front on deck 7 have the wall so you cannot see forward unless you lean over the rail

Oh yes there are several B cabins like aft by the suites that only have 1/2 a regular vista.... deck 6 abd 7 have them.....:(