"passport valid for 6 months beyond completion date" ????

mpk

On my pre-cruise packet, the embarkation checklist says:

"passport - valid for 6 months beyond the completion date of your travel"

What's with that? I called princess, and the fellow on the phone didn't know anything about that requirement.

I rather not have my passport renewed, because I would have to mail it away to get that done. Talk about white knuckles, that is stress I don't need right before a cruise... :O

Is the 6 months really needed? If so, why?

It depends where you are going. If to europe than your passport must be valid for six months after your return. The reason for this is in case of accident/hospitalization. Most people if injuried quite badly could be in hospital for a few months. This is to cover this period.

Having said that it you are going to Canada and you are a US citizen then just have your birth cert and drivers licence handy too.

Check with your TA if you think you might have a problem or your citizenship control people.

MS Maasdam 6 - 17 Feb 05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;02;5;07;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until I sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

Many countries have that as a requirement to enter the country, whether you are entering by cruise ship or airplane. When this is a requirement, the cruise line or airline can be fined bringing in a passenger who does not meet the countries requirement in terms of passports and visas.

This past winter we were on a small expedition ship where this was a major issue for a passenger and the ship itself.

Yes, it is needed. You can be denied boarding if the expiration date of your passport is less than 6 months away.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

That is excellent information to keep in mind!!

It actually means that passports need to be renewed 6 months before the expiration date, just to be on the safe side of being ready for an impromptu cruise. icon_smile.gif

Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern, April 2001

Grand Princess, Western,April 2002

Regal to Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004

After reading our pre-cruise info for a cruise to Panama last year, we found ourselves in the same dilemma. Our passports were to expire four mos. after the cruise. We were told, emphatically, by Princess that we had to renew. I don't question requirements for passports or visas since they are often those of other countries. We downloaded the application from US immigration, sent passports in separate packages and posted a note that we needed the passports by such and such a date. Here's the web site:

www.state.gov/documents/organization/9799.pdf

It took about 2 weeks for us to receive them. I wouldn't take a chance on being denied boarding. It may not happen....but it may! Good luck!

KATY

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

CORAL PRINCESS - OCT. 2004

Ok, I got someone at Princess that said it depends on where you are going. For an Alaskan cruise, the six months is not necessary. For international destinations, it really is needed.

I asked about the departure in Vancouver- she said no problem. She double checked with a supv to make sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KAJOKG:

sent passports in separate packages<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was this to mimimize the chances of losing both passports? Also, did you use expedited service?

mpk -- Immigration specifies only one passport per package, therefore the separate mailings. Glad you got your problem resolved. It is obviously much different in Canada. I seem to remember when we used to drive to Canada all we needed was a driver's license, but so much has changed in these times. Have a great cruise!

KATY

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

We had no problems on a Mexican Riviera cruise with only 2 months left on ours. Maybe we were lucky. It definitely caused more stress for me. I was afraid that we wouldn't get them back in time for the trip. After the cruise, I renewed and it only took 2 weeks.

Americans are very fortunate. Their passports are valid for 10 years (less the 6 months I guess) while ours in Canada are only valid for 5 years but you have to deduct the 2 weeks or more it takes to receive them in the mail and the 6 months prior to expiration when they have to be renewed.

Only valid for about 4 years and 5 months. In Great Britain it is also 10 years.

For Canada American Citizens really only need photo ID like a Drivers License and I understand for most of the Caribbean as well.

It takes nearly a full day to get a passport as they closed so many offices here and you must get there before noon or before they run out of numbers. Most can only see 500 people per day.

Then wait the 2 weeks or more for the passport.

I posed this same question on fodors.com as I am going to Australia in August and will return home within the 6 month window. I've got very little time to renew my passport so I'm very concerned about this possible problem. I'll have about 2 weeks to get the renewal sent in and returned before I fly away to OZ. Hopefully my TA can get an answer to this question, as I've had no luck through the Embassy or US Passport office!

For Australia, you do need to get renewed, based on what the 800-Princess rep told me. Some cities have expedited passport procedures to get things done in one day, but the cost is higher.

Thanks mpk and wander. I will certainly have to work on that renewal. I'll have about a 2 week window to get it done, but could drive into Chicago and spend a day. I see that there are very specific rules to follow if you visit the Chicago passport office. I'll make sure I dot all the i's and cross all the t's just right! I don't want to be denied entrance to OZ in late August!

6/1974 Costa Flavia, Bahamas; 7/1997 Royal Majesty, Bermuda; 3/2000 Carnival Celebration, Caribbean; 6/2000 Regal Princess, Alaska; 7/2000 NCL Majesty, Bermuda; 12/2000 RCCL Nordic Empress, Caribbean; 3/2002 Star Princess, Mex Riviera; 6/2002 RCCL Splendour, Mediterranean; 12/2003 Carnival Fantasy, Bahamas; 8/2004 Caribbean Princess, Caribbean.

Hi, just saw that on the pre cruise info. we got this week and have a problem. Someone we are cruising with is leaving for Europe in less than two weeks needs to take her passport with her to go to Europe for a month then shortly after she returns we cruise to the Eastern Caribbean and her passport expires 4 months after that. AAAAAGGGGGG!!!! We don't need this stress. Anybody know if they need the 6 months for Caribbean (St. Martin, St. Thomas)Plan on calling Princess for sure butif anyone knows ??? any help appreciated.

Cori

Cori -- Call Princess to make sure, but I think that just a birth certificate will be okay in the Eastern Carib.

KATY

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

If you always renew your passports 6 mths prior to expiry date it will always be good for the 5 years in Canada and 10 years in UK or USA. Countries have enforced these rules since 9/11.

RCCL Radiance

Princess Ocean, Dawn, Star(old one)

Carnival Paradise

Hollard New Amsterdam

Thanks Katy, I am going to call Princess now and see whats up. If I get a real understandable answer, I will post it for others information.I know the birth cert. thing works in Mexico, but I didn't know about Caribbean. Wish us Luck.

Cori

You should be OK with just a certified copy of your birth certificate and your DL in the Caribbean. I've heard that Granada is requiring passports, as of about 6 months ago? Anyone else hear that?

6/1974 Costa Flavia, Bahamas; 7/1997 Royal Majesty, Bermuda; 3/2000 Carnival Celebration, Caribbean; 6/2000 Regal Princess, Alaska; 7/2000 NCL Majesty, Bermuda; 12/2000 RCCL Nordic Empress, Caribbean; 3/2002 Star Princess, Mex Riviera; 6/2002 RCCL Splendour, Mediterranean; 12/2003 Carnival Fantasy, Bahamas; 8/2004 Caribbean Princess, Caribbean.

Hi again, as usuall you guys on this board are right. I called Princess, explained our problem and she said they would prefer that she renew her passport if at all possible, but in the event that it is not possible to do that, then she should bring her birth cert. (with raised seal) and DL and that should work ok in Caribbean. Feeling better about it now. But I thank you for your help. icon_smile.gif

Cori

)

Cori

• 2 months later...

This is a link to a site that has all of the Entry Requirements for every country. Click on the Country and then the link for Entry Requirements. It will tell you what documents you need and how long your passport must be valid beyond the intended stay. For example Germany is three months.

http://www.traveldocs.com/nations.htm#p

Oops. Forgot to mention this site only pertains to US Citizens. Maybe there is one for Canadian Citizens?

The key on the "6 months" rule is that if your itinerary absolutely requires a passport (a birth certificate isn't an acceptable alternative), you need to have the passport good for 6 months beyond your scheduled return date. For US citizens, destinations in the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada and Alaska you don't have to worry. Anywhere else in the world, count on needing that early renewal. Not all countries enforce it, but chances are one country on the itinerary will, so just get it done.

The airlines that fly to Europe do not require six months. Why do the cruise lines? I think this is their requirement not immagration....
Mostly because they have a hard and fast rule to make it easier for everyone to understand and communicate, not because the rule is actually always required by the countries to be visited.

For example, if a UK citizen flies in to the US using the visa waiver, the passport need only be valid on the day of arrival - by agreement between the US and the UK. The period allowed for the visit is limited to the duration of passport validity, but there's no 6 month rule in operation any more in this particular case. But this is an example of just how specific the rules can be.

This page from the Delta Air Lines website is a good way to find out the actual legal requirements for the countries that you're going to visit. However, there's no point arguing with the cruise line if they have a stricter rule for their own convenience.

In the UK, the Passport Office has recently introduced a rule that if you apply for a new passport in the last 6 months of the validity of the old passport, you get 10 years plus the unexpired time on the old passport, to minimise the adverse effect of having to get an early renewal. A very sensible measure, IMHO.

When we cruised to the Eastern Caribbean in July, my DH's passport had 4 months until expiration. Nothing was ever said by Princess about this. I really never thought about it, until now. He did send in for a renewal, last week, as we'll be cruising in Dec.

Minette

Archived