Carnival Miracle/ Buying Jewellery

can_cruisers

We are cruising on the Miracle and stopping in Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman and Belize, just wondering if anyone could suggest some jewellery stores i should shop in. I know the cruise director will suggest a few. Last time i was in Cozumel i shopped at Diamonds International and was pleased with my purchase. But i have been hearing i would find better buys at some of the smaller stores. Is that true?

Judy:)

I can't offer much help but I will say that Belize and Costa Maya don't offer much for jewelry except at the Diamonds Int'l type stores at dock area. Costa Maya (Majahual) did have the vendors down by the beach that sold some silver jewelry and some other inexpensive stuff (my kids bought some necklaces for like $5). I didn't have time to shop in Grand Caymen so I can't comment about that.

I did buy princess cut diamond earrings at Diamonds International in Costa Maya and am happy with them. I had the appraised last week when we got home and they appraised at 2x what my purchase price was. It was an even better deal for me - I had won a diamond pendant on the ship at a bingo game, picked it up at Diamonds Intl in Belize and was told of they "trade-in" program so I traded it in for $100 off my earrings (of course I didn't tell them I had the trade until I got them to their best price on the earrings).

Good Luck!

Grand Cayman is the most expensive of your ports. The best port will be Cozumel. and there are tons of stores up and down the strip. A word of advice-- stay with someone that is reputable--unless you know what you are buying.

I can't offer much help but I will say that Belize and Costa Maya don't offer much for jewelry except at the Diamonds Int'l type stores at dock area. Costa Maya (Majahual) did have the vendors down by the beach that sold some silver jewelry and some other inexpensive stuff (my kids bought some necklaces for like $5) Good Luck!

We ended up in Playa del Carmen instead of Cozumel and to me the jewelry offerings are all the same in each port.

Shop at home before you go to become familiar with the prices. We have had mixed experiences with buying jewelry on cruises. If you are looking for something as a memento of the trip, you will have lots of choices. But if you are looking for expensive pieces, you can often do as well at home. We priced a diamond ring at Diamonds International in Cozumel this June, and the salesmen were very high pressure. We decided to wait and found a beautiful ring at home for less money. However, we once found a diamond tennis bracelet in St. Thomas, after searching everywhere for the right bracelet. Good luck, it is fun to shop for jewelry!

Archived