Driving to cape liberty

peymas

We will be at the Robert Treat at the end of April. We will drive to the port. If I use my GPS in the car and put in 4 Port Terminal Blvd. will this get me there without any problems? Will I be using any toll roads? Thanks.

We will be at the Robert Treat at the end of April. We will drive to the port. If I use my GPS in the car and put in 4 Port Terminal Blvd. will this get me there without any problems? Will I be using any toll roads? Thanks.

GPS should be OK to get to exit 14A on the NJ Turnpike. Basically the route takes you on McCarter Highway (route 21) to I78 East which becomes the NJ Turnpike Extension at Newark airport. The toll between exit 14 and 14A is $1.65.

Exit 14A is currently under construction. The current advice seems to be to follow the signs to Avenue E, turn left at 45th St, follow the road around until you hit Goldsborough Drive, and make a left to follow the road into the port. GPS is not always reliable in this area. You should print out a map.

GPS should be OK to get to exit 14A on the NJ Turnpike. Basically the route takes you on McCarter Highway (route 21) to I78 East which becomes the NJ Turnpike Extension at Newark airport. The toll between exit 14 and 14A is $1.65.

Exit 14A is currently under construction. The current advice seems to be to follow the signs to Avenue E, turn left at 45th St, follow the road around until you hit Goldsborough Drive, and make a left to follow the road into the port. GPS is not always reliable in this area. You should print out a map.

Thanks. I do have google map directions printed. Hope it is ok. The only difference is google maps has you turn on 40th street instead of 45th. I will have my 1.65 ready. I think I will change my directions to 45th street.

Thanks. I do have google map directions printed. Hope it is ok. The only difference is google maps has you turn on 40th street instead of 45th. I will have my 1.65 ready. I think I will change my directions to 45th street.

From what I could see, it doesn't matter which street you turn onto. On 45th St the road goes over the light rail, bears to the right ( and changes name at some point), and it's a straight shot down to Goldsborough Drive, where you make a left. Goldsborough Drive ends at a stop sign at Port Terminal Blvd and you bear left. Once you get off of Avenue E, the area is very open. There are little port direction signs. You can see the ship, so really all you have to do is head for the ship and follow the traffic.

From what I could see, it doesn't matter which street you turn onto. On 45th St the road goes over the light rail, bears to the right ( and changes name at some point), and it's a straight shot down to Goldsborough Drive, where you make a left. Goldsborough Drive ends at a stop sign at Port Terminal Blvd and you bear left. Once you get off of Avenue E, the area is very open. There are little port direction signs. You can see the ship, so really all you have to do is head for the ship and follow the traffic.

Thanks for your help.

McCarter Hwy to I-78 East is the most commonly known route to the port. However, your location in Newark may cause the GPS to direct you to Route 1/9 into Jersey City and then Route 440 South. It all depends on what the GPS determines is the best route at that time. Both ways will get you there.

McCarter Hwy to I-78 East is the most commonly known route to the port. However, your location in Newark may cause the GPS to direct you to Route 1/9 into Jersey City and then Route 440 South. It all depends on what the GPS determines is the best route at that time. Both ways will get you there.

Good to know. I generally put in the address in the gps and compare with google maps before I take off. Gps has been known to mess up left and right for me. I have a new car and so it is a new system so we shall see. Thanks.