Trying to upgrade from assigned cabin to guarantee and being told NO!

AryMay

We are currently booked in a category BD cabin for an upcoming cruise. It is well past final payment and now I see that guarantee mini-suites (MX) are available at a lower cost. I called and asked about upgrading to the mini-suite and was told "no" we could not upgrade to a guarantee cabin.

Just wondering if anyone has ever been able to do this type of upgrade after final payment.

After being told "no" I couldn't upgrade from our BD balcony cabin to the MX (mini-suite guarantee) I called back and talked to a different person and got a different answer.

Sounds like we could get upgraded, but yes...we would lose our perks. And although the price has dropped, we would not get any price adjustment, just the better cabin. Since we are traveling with friends and have side by side balcony cabins we have decided to just stay put.

When we booked this 14-day Alaskan cruise last June, the price of a mini-suite was $4199...when I checked last night it was $1899. And...the guy I talked to at NCL said it looked like there were no mini-suites available so there might even be a decent chance of getting upgraded to a regular suite!

The passengers currently in the mini suites will probably bid for an upgrade to a suite and that would open up some mini suite cabins. The only way that you would get a suite is if you did an upsell or bid for the suite yourself. Does that make sense?

Just because they are not showing any available cabins in a particular category doesn't mean they are not going to be moving people with the upgrade advantage.