American Express available?

Adc430

im leaving to Cozumel, Jamaica, and grand cayman in a few weeks. I know cash is king but for security reasons and kinda peace of mind, I don't plan on having much cash on me. My question is if Amex is available in the islands for most cases (I understand some won't). Or should I go ahead and get a Visa (cause I know it's used worldwide)?

Amex is not well received in the Caribbean. their rates are outrageous and it takes forever to get paid. If a merchant accepts amex, which is not often, you might see a sign, Add 5% for Amex purchases. where visa/MC charge in the 2% area Amex charges can be in the 5% area to merchants

I have used my Amex card in all three of those ports. But I suppose, like any place, there will be places that do not accept it but if you're sticking the normal spots that tourists frequent, then I doubt there will be acceptance issues. I do also carry an alternate (MC or Visa) just in case I do find a lack of Amex acceptance but I've only had that happen twice in 20 years (both in St. Maarten but those businesses since have starting taking Amex).

I have used my Amex card in all three of those ports. But I suppose, like any place, there will be places that do not accept it but if you're sticking the normal spots that tourists frequent, then I doubt there will be acceptance issues. I do also carry an alternate (MC or Visa) just in case I do find a lack of Amex acceptance but I've only had that happen twice in 20 years (both in St. Maarten but those businesses since have starting taking Amex).
do you see one over the other is better with the MC and Visa? Honestly I've never thought MasterCard being available everywhere like Visa.

For processing purposes, M/C and VISA are the same. Even in the states where I pay about (fees vary greatly) 1.5-2% processing fee. Discover 2-2.5% and Amex can be up to 3%. The Caribbean's do not like Amex, if they accept it, it's strictly out of convenience. Give the merchants a break and use your Visa/MC.

do you see one over the other is better with the MC and Visa? Honestly I've never thought MasterCard being available everywhere like Visa.

Actually, the MC is my first choice after Amex just because of the rewards my particular MC card offers so I guess I can't say if MC or Visa would have wider acceptance. I've notice though that any business that accepts Visa usually also accepts MC... at least if you believe the signage in their windows. ;)

We've used our amex on most islands at reputable shops for souvenirs (like Hard Rock, Ron Jons, Paranah Joes, and/or Harley.) We've also used it in name brand bars and/or resturants like Margaritaville. If there's a problem we have some recourse thru amex. I would not use a credit card in any of the small locally owned shops - I try to plan ahead and take cash for use in them ... easier for them and less risky for me.;)