3 people in a spa cabin - only 2 get perks??

gardn198

Let me tell you what happened to me. I called to book a cruise, and the rep did not tell me that the boat would be in the water for the entire cruise! I cannot figure out why that was not disclosed.

Let me tell you what happened to me. I called to book a cruise, and the rep did not tell me that the boat would be in the water for the entire cruise! I cannot figure out why that was not disclosed.

You joke but there's a legitimate point there. There are so many aspects of every part of every service that we purchase that it is incumbent upon us to do our own due diligence ... to research what it is that we are purchasing and to make sure we are an informed consumer. To the extent that we don't it is our decision to defer to whatever it is the service provider actually offers at the time.

I'm sure that the phone agents don't tell folks that the specialty restaurants have an added charge. I doubt they mention if the itinerary has some tendering ports. I just read an article from a consumer advocate explaining a situation for which they chose not to take the consumer side in a dispute with the cruise line. It had to do with the limits of what the ship infirmary would be willing to do for passengers. I'm sure that no phone agent has never relayed those limits to folks purchasing cruises over the phone. They probably don't tell callers that soda cost extra; and while the limits on carrying a board wine might come up, I doubt the limits on carrying aboard bottled water which apply on some Cruise Lines comes up. Etc. and so on.

On several of the forums that I follow here on Cruise Critic, there are regular threads within which posters share those things that surprised them when they got aboard ship. Things they wish they knew before they got a board. I highly recommend seeking out those specific threads and reading them and reading them over and reading them over a third time.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

There are so many aspects of every part of every service that we purchase that it is incumbent upon us to do our own due diligence ... to research what it is that we are purchasing and to make sure we are an informed consumer. To the extent that we don't it is our decision to defer to whatever it is the service provider actually offers at the time.

This...

If OP wanted to be the planner then the responsibility falls to her to do the planning and get the facts (bet she probably got all the facts for cheers). If she wanted to remove herself from that accountability she should have used a travel agent and then she would have an issue with the omission of facts. With everyone having a phone in their hands 24/7 and the availability of information, there is no reason not to know.

Bottom line is they split the cabin 3 ways evenly, should not have been evenly and #3 should have paid less in this case (in a non spa cabin it would not have been a big deal). They owe the money back to #3 so she can pay for a pass, change the cabin type or get a 3rd cabin so everyone has a pass included.

If she wanted to remove herself from that accountability she should have used a travel agent and then she would have an issue with the omission of facts.
I'm generally pretty disparaging of travel agents in general. However, I think it is even a bit too much to ask them to bridge the entire Gap with regard to the passenger's knowledge of what it is they're purchasing. I suppose we would have to know how much of the discussion of the booking of the cruise was about the spa services themselves - how much the passenger was receptive to an extended discussion about that aspect of the cruise. I can see expecting the travel agent to have gone into detail and warned about limitations if the passenger asked a number of questions about the spa services that were associated with the booking. However, in the absence of that expressed interest by the passenger, over the phone, even a travel agent cannot be expected to foresee which of the hundred different aspects of the cruising experience an individual passenger may need more education. I suppose you could say I'm as negatively inclined toward telephones as I am toward travel agents. Doing business by telephone is the absolute worst way to do business.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I side with the original poster. Unless you're a seasoned spa cabin cruiser I would also have assumed that when calling in you'd be told this. I have a spa cabin on the Vista on the 22nd but did it online and saw the disclaimer there. You're all being too critical. Easiest way now is to just split the cost. I'd ask for some OBC though.

I don't really think you did anything for the OP except rub her nose in it.
Not at all. I provided the exact quote of the advisory. If I hadn't done the research for something and someone presented me what I omitted, I would appreciate it, internalize it as information I failed to acquire myself before I made my decision, and then go forward from there. Like I said, expecting someone over the phone to advise you of every aspect of the room, the amenities, the dining, the ports, the tendering, the embarkation, the disembarkation, the entertainment, etc., is unreasonable. No one would sit there on the phone with the agent for what would be effectively a half hour of them reading the T&Cs to you, much less the rest of the information that may be beyond the T&Cs.

If your logic prevailed, you'd be rationalizing a claim against an airline about rerouting a nonstop to a connection - something which they're allowed to do by the T&Cs but they never tell you on the phone. You'd be rationalizing a claim against a hotel because they didn't tell you that the hotel health club has limited hours. You'd be rationalizing a claim against a car rental company because they didn't tell you that there's a charge for a second driver. I could list a dozen more instances where an expectation such as what you're supporting would be self-evidently nonsensical, typing as fast as I could type.

While I thoroughly relate to the issue OP is experiencing, I have to side against her. Had I gone the same route of booking over the phone, I would have then gone online to ascertain the details. Once I found the salient points were against me, I would have simply called back and somewhat vehemently lamented the fact that this was not disclosed to me.....and we would have explored other options. (I would have also seen that the two ladies in question could also obtain the week long couples pass for 199, but I digress). To come HERE and be ANGRY about the info provided is ludicrous and self indulgent IMO.

I thoroughly research EVERY vacation before and after the booking. I dont like bad surprises, so I try my best to uncover every stone before committing to spending thousands of dollars. Far too many ppl these days want other people to do the work FOR them, and when things go left, want to complain to anyone that will listen about the horrible time they had.