Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer Excursion?

dutchiegirl

Hi! In June, my husband, son, and I are going on a HAL cruise to Alaska. A first on both counts. My question is on excursions in Ketchikan. My son and husband are going a halibut fishing excursion in Ketchikan, so I am looking for options just for me. The few things I would love to see are the Misty Fjords and the Totem Bight/Potlatch Park and downtown Ketchikan.

We are going flight seeing in Juneau, so I was considering the Misty Fjord boat excursion. However, it is 4.5 hours and I am not sure I would have enough time to see the other things? Does anybody have any experience with this excursion? And while I realize that most people would suggest flightseeing Misty Fjords, is the boat trip still worth it?

I went on this excursion a few years ago and would suggest bringing a book to read during the travel portions of the excursion. The high speed craft passes the "wilderness" area but must stay quite a distance from the shore because laws prevent the boat coming too close. You will be too far away to see any wildlife in the "wilderness." Actual time in the misty fjords is around 45 minutes with some of that time waiting at a dock for those coming/departing by plane to meet the boat.

The scenery in the misty fjords is amazing but the to/from travel time is a waste of time unless you bring a good book.

HAL has an excursion with flight over the mountains that includes all-you-can-eat crab feast that I have in the past, and will again enjoy on the Noordam this June.

I did notice that you will be the same cruise subsequent to mine (June 4) and will be glad to answer any questions while I am on board that may help you in your planning.

I went on this excursion a few years ago and would suggest bringing a book to read during the travel portions of the excursion. The high speed craft passes the "wilderness" area but must stay quite a distance from the shore because laws prevent the boat coming too close. You will be too far away to see any wildlife in the "wilderness." Actual time in the misty fjords is around 45 minutes with some of that time waiting at a dock for those coming/departing by plane to meet the boat.

The scenery in the misty fjords is amazing but the to/from travel time is a waste of time unless you bring a good book.

HAL has an excursion with flight over the mountains that includes all-you-can-eat crab feast that I have in the past, and will again enjoy on the Noordam this June.

I did notice that you will be the same cruise subsequent to mine (June 4) and will be glad to answer any questions while I am on board that may help you in your planning.

This year for the first time, RCL's Radiance of the Seas is cruising into the Misty Fjords for 4 hours before docking in Ketchikan. I am wondering how far we can go in with such a large ship.

Thanks! That is very helpful. I think I will do flight. Do you by any chance know if the Totem Bight excursion also allows time in Potlatch park?

Thanks! That is very helpful. I think I will do flight. Do you by any chance know if the Totem Bight excursion also allows time in Potlatch park?

Sorry, I cannot help you with your question. My only visit to see totem poles was in a van returning us from the Crab Feast whose driver was kind enough to detour from the normal itinerary.