Drink package,more than just alcohol.

I am new at the whole drink package thing,but it seems almost all of the posts that I have read (very many), seem to only focus on the alcohol in regard to the Deluxe Drink Package. I myself am not a heavy drinker mostly social drinker... not one to drink alot by myself, but when I do drink it is usually beer. Once in a while I will have some mixed drinks. Based on the package as a whole I guess I am trying to talk myself in to getting the Deluxe package. I will be having juice in the morning with breakfast probably every morning, and some ice tea and prob water every now and then for 7 days.

So with that said, what I guess I am wondering is if getting the Refreshment Package and buying my alcohol as I go would be a better option for me. The wife is not a drinker but will have the drink of the day usually and one or two at night. I am more inclined to purchase it for the no hassle with receipts and tips everytime I get a drink and not too worried about "breaking even". Sorry I got long winded, just kind of stuck on which way to go.

David

It all depends on how much you will drink.

First, the drink package is not as good a buy for beer drinkers, with beers being around $6 to $8. Second, the drink package does not include iced tea, that is free at restaurants.

My thought is, if you are buying the middle package, for about $20 more you can go unlimited on any drink. At least that was the justification I used to get the deluxe package for my wife.

Either way, enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My thought is, if you are buying the middle package, for about $20 more you can go unlimited on any drink. At least that was the justification I used to get the deluxe package for my wife.

Either way, enjoy your cruise!

If you are referring to the old Select package, that is no longer available. The only package that includes alcoholic drinks is now the Deluxe package. This is tough on the beer only drinkers, as it is significantly more expensive than the old Select package.

One thing to factor in...if you are an orange juice drinker the OJ on the ship is not that...its honestly horrible...(I was shocked there are not a million complaints on this board already about the OJ...it tops pepper grinders and hard selling to me lol) its got to be a powder base like "tang" and I found it undrinkable....so the fresh squeezed OJ made a world of a difference when it came to breakfast for us....

I can say that I was on the fence myself but was so glad we got it...I estimated I would have about 5 alcoholic drinks a day and I probably had 5 just pool side on days at sea'...so it ended up being well worth it for us personally....

One thing to factor in...if you are an orange juice drinker the OJ on the ship is not that...its honestly horrible...(I was shocked there are not a million complaints on this board already about the OJ...it tops pepper grinders and hard selling to me lol) its got to be a powder base like "tang" and I found it undrinkable....so the fresh squeezed OJ made a world of a difference when it came to breakfast for us....

Don't find the OJ that bad! Not fresh squeezed, but basic from concentrate juice, no different than the grocery store. Usually eat breakfast in MDR and have never heard any complaints!

To OP - you mentioned iced tea and water, both are included in your cruise fare (basic tap water; not bottled). Perhaps you need to consider the drinks included at no extra cost - includes coffee, tea, iced tea,hot chocolate, milk and chocolate milk, breakfast juice (not fresh squeezed OJ), lemonade, punch/flavored waters.

I know that the drink packages aren't for everyone- that's why they are optional.

Myself, I like to have a few drinks and relax. I don't want to drink so much that I don't remember my vacation, but I also like not having to guess what my bill is up to.

My wife likes her soda and "fancy" coffees, so stepping up to the deluxe package was an easy decision.

I'm glad it's up to the cruiser, I wouldn't want it added in automatically!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am new at the whole drink package thing,but it seems almost all of the posts that I have read (very many), seem to only focus on the alcohol in regard to the Deluxe Drink Package. I myself am not a heavy drinker mostly social drinker... not one to drink alot by myself, but when I do drink it is usually beer. Once in a while I will have some mixed drinks. Based on the package as a whole I guess I am trying to talk myself in to getting the Deluxe package. I will be having juice in the morning with breakfast probably every morning, and some ice tea and prob water every now and then for 7 days.

So with that said, what I guess I am wondering is if getting the Refreshment Package and buying my alcohol as I go would be a better option for me. The wife is not a drinker but will have the drink of the day usually and one or two at night. I am more inclined to purchase it for the no hassle with receipts and tips everytime I get a drink and not too worried about "breaking even". Sorry I got long winded, just kind of stuck on which way to go.

David

The package is well worth the ability to order wwhatever you like and not worry about the price and to be honest the price of drinks your going to spend the 20-30+bucks extra a day especially if you are a social drinker who likes to be social while he drinks.

Honestly, I think I just break even. It's nice being able to order anything when you want, and grabbing water, or soda, also. On a sea day, have a few frozen drinks to refresh you, and you can easily go over, without ever getting a buzz. They aren't exactly the most potent.

Don't forget, the drink package also allows you to get smoothies at the juice bar (near the spa). Of course you can get that with the Refreshment package as well.

Personally, if you are mainly a beer drinking and maybe have 1 or two cocktails during your cruise, I would just go with the refreshment package and pay for the beer and mixed drinks individually.

For us we do go with the deluxe because I don't want to worry about ordering a drink and then having to drink it if I don't like it. It also keeps me from having to check my account on a regular basis to see where we are at. I don't think it has ever been a waste of money for us on our cruises.

We got the defunct "select" package thrown in as part of our cruise (June 2017), I will be upgrading to this deluxe one if I can.

What is funny is that the frozen drinks aka some of the most expensive hardly have any kick to them. I can drink the likes of mudslides and pina coladas until I turn into Olaf!

Just once I made the mistake of being sociable with spirits with mixers.... Yeah, it seems I can't hold my drink! Wont be doing that again in a hurry......