Dairy intolerance

misprint

We have picked traditional dining for our cruise in 2018 as one of our group has a dairy intolerance. We thought it might be easier to be assured of the same waiters etc to avoid explanations each night. On a previous P&O cruise the head waiter brought the next days menus each night so they could arrange a dairy free version, if possible, of chosen dish. Has anyone had experience of cruising on Celebrity with a dairy intolerance?

We have picked traditional dining for our cruise in 2018 as one of our group has a dairy intolerance. We thought it might be easier to be assured of the same waiters etc to avoid explanations each night. On a previous P&O cruise the head waiter brought the next days menus each night so they could arrange a dairy free version, if possible, of chosen dish. Has anyone had experience of cruising on Celebrity with a dairy intolerance?

I am sure that Celebrity has a special needs department. Also, talk to the matre'd at the start of the cruise.

DON

Hi. I too have an issue with dairy and this has been handled in a perfect way by Celebrity. You will have no trouble making your arrangements.

This is what I do:

1. Make a mark in the booking with my special needs. (I don´t think you have to, but it has certainly made things easier)

2. Visit the Maitre'D when she/he is available after boarding. (I usually just go when its announced, but I think they call you in the stateroom and ask you to go see her/him if you don´t go by yourself.) Here we make our table reservations (we prefer private for the family) and talk about my needs. We look at the menu for the first night that clearly states what is available without lactose to begin with, and if I would like to order any of the other dishes they can prepare it lactose free for me.

3. Every night after dinner I order the next nights meal from the next menu.

This has always been done completely without any stress or discomfort for me.

They also have soy milk in café al bacio and on select sailings also lactose free milk. (I´ve been told it has to do with availability for lactose free milk in the departure port.)

They don't seem to have the lactose free milk in Oceanview, but they will run and fetch it if needed. I find that a bit stressful as the queue seems to line up as we wait, so I prefer to have my lattes in Café al Bacio to avoid the stress. If you prefer it in Oceanview for breakfast or in the main dining room (for breakfast, lunch or dinner) I suggest you specifically ask them to stock it there for everyones convenience. I prefer it in the Café anyway (as they put the best baristas there and make it more to perfection.)

DW has lactose issues along with some other more severe food allergies and on recent cruises the wait staff have asked on the first day "any food allergies?" They made notes and worked very hard to make sure there were no issues. We were in Aqua on one trip and all of the staff knew so where we sat was not a problem. We had select dinning on our most recent and for 14 nights they sat us in the same section with the same staff and they were great about taking care. Each night, at the end of dinner, the assistant maitre 'd would bring the next day's menu so she could be sure there was something she could eat and enjoy. The one night she could not find anything, he arranged to have a roast chicken dinner for her. The two night we were in the Tuscan Grill the staff knew ahead of time that she had food allergies and were ready, at the end of each meal, someone from the MDR was there with the menu. So, yes, they do take very good care of their passengers with food allergies.