So long Miami Sheraton Hotel

Bequia

Why in the world is Starwood tearing down all these still-decent properties in Miami? :) Granted, I haven't stayed at them, but it appears that one at the Sheraton Bal Harbour (to be replaced with a St. Regis) are still in perfectly usable condition...just in need of a small refurb, perhaps. I hate to see them go!

We stayed there a couple of years ago precruise. Got it for $35 on Priceline!! It was a great spot. I had heard it wasn't a hotel anymore but I thought they were turning the building into condos. I had no idea they were tearing it down.

On my first cruise, this was the first hotel I stayed at for my overnight stay. During this time, I learned about Brickell Point and Brickell Park. My mom is a Brickell (connected to this family down the gene pool), so this area is very interesting to me.

Sheraton Hotel comes to an end video.gif (click camera, watch implosion)

The Sheraton Hotel, 495 Brickell Avenue, a familiar sight on Biscayne Bay's waterfront, is imploded at 9:30 a.m. Sunday, left, and quickly comes down, bottom, as part of a developer's plan to build a mixed-used project that will include high-rise condo towers. The Miami-based Related Group of Florida bought the 5.1-acre property for $94 million. The high-rise project has raised some concerns among those involved in preserving the Miami Circle, the ancient artifact at the mouth of the Miami River...

Why in the world is Starwood tearing down all these still-decent properties in Miami? :) Granted, I haven't stayed at them, but it appears that one at the Sheraton Bal Harbour (to be replaced with a St. Regis) are still in perfectly usable condition...just in need of a small refurb, perhaps. I hate to see them go!

Because they can replace 'still decent hotel rooms' with Super Luxury Condos that will make so much more money.

Real estate is flipping so fast in South Florida it is like a spinning rolodex.

Archived