Who here likes the Specialty Dining Package?

This is our first time considering a dining package. Are they only available before sailing? And if also available on the ship, are the prices for the packages higher?

Thanks,

Pat

Just off the Freedom, I pre purchased the BOGO, but I did not notice the special price being offered onboard.

This is our first time considering a dining package. Are they only available before sailing? And if also available on the ship, are the prices for the packages higher?

Thanks,

Pat

The package(s) may or may not be available onboard, and the prices are not predictable.

Thanks,

Pat

i booked in FEB for NOV and watch prices literally every day. i can say the refresh pack on anthem has been on sale at least 2 times and they favor holidays. so i expect labor day to be on sale.

On our last Anthem cruise(Jan/17) we purchased the 4 dinner pkg,we booked the 1st dinner at the time of the purchase and the other 3 on board,no problems. We love this pkg esp on a 12 nighter,gives a little variety to the dining experience.

Still hoping to buy a specialty dining package for Anthem cruise in December; however, was told by RCCL rep that packages aren't available on holiday cruises. Never heard that before. So, not only does RCCL (like other lines) charge more for holiday cruises just because they can, they also nix dining packages just because they can. I know cruise lines are in business to turn a profit and I also know that in the last ten years everything on board has become a profit center to boost the bottom line. I begrudge neither. I just think taking away dining packages is pushing the greed envelope a bit too far. And, yes, I know if I don't like it, I can take my business elsewhere. Anyone have any experience with packages on a RCCL holiday cruise?

Edited by lysolqn

Still hoping to buy a specialty dining package for Anthem cruise in December; however, was told by RCCL rep that packages aren't available for holiday cruises. Never heard that before. Anyone have any experience with packages on a holiday cruise?

Not surprising, though that could change. They typically jack up specialty restaurant prices for holiday cruises.

We're on the Indy now and booked the Dining package onboard. It was $70 for 3, $85 for 4 and $100 for 5 so prices seem to vary by ship. We're going to do Chops and Giovannis twice and us the 5th one for a galley tour. We were able to choose any times / days we wanted and have booked for 18:30 on each of our chosen nights.

What is the gallery tour you are opting for with your dining package?

Cruising on Allure in April 2018. First cruise. Would someone please tell me (or link me) which speciality restaurants are included in the 3 or 5 night dining package? Some people have mentioned restrictions. What would these be?

We purchased the three night package on our last cruise...chose Chops, Izumi and Giovanni.

We were very disappointed in Chops. My scallops were not cooked correctly and almost warm when served. The steak was nowhere close in quality to the finer steak houses where we live and neither steak was cooked properly...both overcooked.

Izumi was decent but the service was absolutely horrible. I'm not talking poor...I am talking almost non-existent to the point of having to ask multiple times for something as basic as a water refill.

Giovanni was excellent...we would go there again.

Since this isn't professional baseball, a .333 average is not acceptable and we will never purchase another package.

Not surprising, though that could change. They typically jack up specialty restaurant prices for holiday cruises.

We booked individual reservations since specialty dining packages are not available (yet?) and surprisingly, the prices are as usual despite being a holiday cruise. If packages appear, hoping we'll be able to cancel and rebook as package.

Last cruise we did the 3 night speciality dining package and loved it. This cruise we have coming up we have bought the ultimate dining package where you can eat speciality resterunts 7 nights and lunch on sea days We found that we did not really care for the MDR last cruise so this was a perfect option for us. We made most of our reservations last cruise the day that we wanted to eat. We never had to change our plans. They worked us in every time.

Last cruise we did the 3 night speciality dining package and loved it. This cruise we have coming up we have bought the ultimate dining package where you can eat speciality resterunts 7 nights and lunch on sea days We found that we did not really care for the MDR last cruise so this was a perfect option for us. We made most of our reservations last cruise the day that we wanted to eat. We never had to change our plans. They worked us in every time.

I'm wondering if there is any inventory control on how many Ultimate plans they sell. I could see them running into problems similar to NCL when too many people had the "free" dining such that it was hard to get into and they had to cut back from 4 nights to 3.

Do wish they'd allow prebooking, especially for ships that require a lot of show schedule planning.