New to RC - random thoughts on VOOM

I am on Allure now. This is my first RC cruise, and for anyone who is interested, here are some random thoughts on our VOOM package.

I wanted to use my onboard credit for this, so I was planning to wait until I was on board to book it. But since RC change their system, I was able to book it in advance with a 30% off discount. When we checked in to board the ship, they handed us a slip of paper with our access code.

Although we are a family of five, I decided to book the two device at a time package. You can use this with any number of devices, as long as you only have two logged in at one time. You have to log a device out before you can log another one in. You actually have to go to your internet browser and type "log off.com" to log a device off. It took us a long time to figure that out, and my husband calling the helpline (listed in the Cruise Compass). No information was provided on that.

Our access code was a combination of seven letters and numbers. Since we were logging in and out, we needed to repeatedly enter this code. We soon had it memorized, but for the first day or two, you may want to carry it around with you.

When you log in, you get a message that tells you that you will be automatically logged out after two hours of inactivity. I don't think that happens. I was always the first one up in the morning, and if my husband and daughter had not logged out the evening before, I could not log in.

Ours was the Surf and Stream package. The service was very good. My daughter was able to do all of her teenage device things, and I was able to watch Netflix in both the morning and evening with no trouble.

That's all I can think to tell you. I hope this information was helpful to someone!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IME the logout after two hours of inactivity works most of the time, but the key is inactivity. Most mobile devices like phones or tablets will not be inactive even if you are sleeping;). Many apps will continue to Exchange data and so RCI´s System will record a constant activity.

This is not so much an issue if you have a Flatrate which is time driven, but could be an issue if they give you a certain amount of data.

Isn't your cellular data service turned off and you're just running on wifi? There shouldn't be a data limit on wifi.

This is true. We put the phones into airplane mode so there is no chance of getting charged for cell service by inadvertantly using the ship's cell tower.

Isn't your cellular data service turned off and you're just running on wifi? There shouldn't be a data limit on wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no data Limit with the current packages on RCI. The last sentence in my post above was a comment not particulary towards Internet on RCI. Some ships / cruiselines offer Data packages for WIFI. Failing to properly log off can eat your package if your phone / tablet keeps exchanging data even though you are not using it. So either way if you are not on an unlimited package (date or time) don´t Forget to log off. ;)

When using VOOM back in 2015 you had to log out manually on the active device. When trying to sign in on another device it wouldn't allow me.

Now when I use a second device to sign in, it allows me too, but automatically disconnects me from the first device which has its benefits. If a family were sharing it, may be annoying if someone keeps logging you out without knowing.

Just off the navigator Friday. Had the single unit surf and stream package, to share with me and the wife. I felt for the speed we received it was not worth the price. But it was the only option. I tried you tube a couple times and it would not load. Face timing home worked ok. Very choppy and poor connection would pop up occasionally (I have 40 meg speed at home so the problem was on the ship). There were 1050 children on the ship, that may have contributed to the slowness?

It worked well to find friends on the ship who also had iPhones and the wifi package. You had to check that you were still connected as occasionally it would kick you off.

One thing to note. If I wanted on I would just log on and it would kick my wife's phone off. Neither of us needed to log out.

Here is a hint. Copy your code so all you have to do is hit PASTE to log back in;)

When you log in, you get a message that tells you that you will be automatically logged out after two hours of inactivity. I don't think that happens. I was always the first one up in the morning, and if my husband and daughter had not logged out the evening before, I could not log in.

I wonder if you had to log devices out manually because you were on a multi-device package? Never needed to do that on Anthem or Liberty last year. We had a one device package.

As others have noted, our devices are rarely inactive. Background activity is usually more than enough to maintain a connection.

We are just off Radiance around NZ, where we had 1 device surf + stream. I have to say, the service was quite good. (We were in an aft balcony, 7658). We were each able to login to check email and at night we used it for Netflix. Worked surprisingly well. One of the best services onboard.

YMMV

ML

Ours did not kick anyone off when someone else logged in. After you enter your code on the login screen, it would give a message saying that no more devices can log on for that code.

Same with us on Brilliance this past January.