First time cruiser on Carnival Pride with daughter

snowcraig

Hello,

My 10 year old daughter and I are taking a mother/daughter trip on the Carnival Pride in July out of Baltimore - Eastern Caribbean. This is our first cruise. Since it is just the two of us, I don't intend to put her in the children's program, unless she will be missing out on tons of fun by not participating. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Do you have recommendations for shows/activities on board that would be good for a mother/daughter pair?

Also, looking at excursions at Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport for us. I would like to spend one day at the beach just hanging out and swimming. We definitely want to snorkel. Otherwise, I'm open to good suggestions for excursions or things to do on the islands.

I know this is a lot, but I'm new to all of this and since it is going to be just me and my daughter I want to make sure I make good choices for us.

Thanks!

My daughter loves to meet people at the kids club. I get that it is a mother/daughter trip but I'd play the kids club by ear and not just rule it out. It might be nice for each of you to have a little quiet time.

We really enjoy the family friendly comedy shows & the family scavenger hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello,

My 10 year old daughter and I are taking a mother/daughter trip on the Carnival Pride in July out of Baltimore - Eastern Caribbean. This is our first cruise. Since it is just the two of us, I don't intend to put her in the children's program, unless she will be missing out on tons of fun by not participating. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Do you have recommendations for shows/activities on board that would be good for a mother/daughter pair?

Also, looking at excursions at Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport for us. I would like to spend one day at the beach just hanging out and swimming. We definitely want to snorkel. Otherwise, I'm open to good suggestions for excursions or things to do on the islands.

I know this is a lot, but I'm new to all of this and since it is going to be just me and my daughter I want to make sure I make good choices for us.

Thanks!

I've never put the kids in the clubs on ANY cruise. And they make friends right out on deck with other kids whose parents think the same as us. But you do what's best for your child. we just figured from daycare to school, they were locked up all year long, and didn't need that on vacation, just like I didn't want to be sitting at a desk for that week.

We only cruised with our children once when they were young enough for the kids' clubs and they LOVED them. You'll be with your daughter in the ports and then you and she can decide how often she wants to be in the kids club on Sea days.

We cruised on the Pride a few months ago. Definitely choose HMC as your beach day--the Beach is fabulous. Walk over to the stingray place and watch the people who have paid for that excursion feed the rays. That was fun! I would book a snorkel tour for the day you are at Grand Turk. You'll have enough time for the snorkel tour and some time to spend at the beach too. Then consider staying on board the ship in Freeport. I've been to that port twice and never gotten off the ship because it's such a "pitty" port stop. I have always enjoyed having a day on the ship when in Port. There are no lines anywhere and you can actually have the pools and Waterworks to yourself. (When we were on the Pride, we stayed onboard in Freeport and had a blast at the Waterworks and mini golf--all to ourselves!)

My daughter is 7 and has been on 5 cruises. (NCL, RCL, and most recently the Pride out of Baltimore)

We have always given her the option to do the kids club on Sea days and in the evening. It has been her preference to do some club time and some family time. She has enjoyed the club time and always describes it as a highlight of the trip.

She loved playing in the water at Half Moon Cay. It was a perfect day with gentle surf. She probably spent 90% of the time in the water. We did the Family Beach Escape in Freeport which she like. We did the stingray encounter in grand Turk which she also enjoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with saraandnick, play the kids club as you go. I would suggest going to the orientation the first night. That will give you an idea about the rules and the events planned. Between kids and grandkids, I have had all age groups. We have really left it up to the kids what they wanted to do. We look at the days events and if something, like the ship scavenger hunt, is occurring they go. IF not we hang as a family.

I understand this is a mommy/daughter cruise but that doesn't mean your daughter wouldn't enjoy some time with kids her age having fun. And her fun time at camp can be your chance to read that book you have been trying to complete for months. Or maybe treat yourself to the spa.

Whatever you do--- have fun and make memories'.

My kids loved the camp- they went mainly in the evening. It was so nice for hubby and I to have a nice quiet dinner in the MDR and then go see a show or grab a drink or two. But day time was time we spent together either at the pool, in port, playing some bingo, etc....;)

HMC was our favorite beach day- since it's just the 2 of you I'd just go with renting a nice clamshell on the beach. ;)

We did the snorkel with Stingrays while in Grand Turk- my son, husband and I loved it. (my daughter preferred to just stay on the beach and watch instead of snorkel).

I agree with what others have mentioned about Freeport... maybe debark and grab some souvenirs but other than for that you may want to just stay on ship.

If snorkeling is something you want to do, I suggest googling Pat and Diane's for your Freeport stop. It's not my favorite port, but they are a great company! We booked with them 2 summers ago and had a wonderful time. They are more than reasonable in price, enjoyable to work with, and the boat had a slide!! Such fun!

I agree with other comments about the kids club. Go the first night for the orientation and tour. Than each day take a look at the activities. If she sees something she thinks she might like, she can join in.

There are a bunch of fun Cat in the Hat stuff on board including the breakfast, which can be fun. (Assuming she hasn't grown out of that yet)

Go and hang out in the arcade for a while. Maybe set a budget ahead of time, since everything in there costs some money!

Mini Golf is loads of fun, if you can visit during port time and you should mostly have it to yourself!

Consider searching the forums and finding the "Fun Times" for the Pride and your itinerary before you leave so you can look them over with your daughter as a "sneak peak" of the cruise. That way you can have at least an idea of what you might like to do!

Make sure you both have your own camera's to capture the memories. It's so nice to be able to look back at the pics and remember everything!

No matter what, go with the flow. You might decide on something ahead of time, but not be feeling it when the time comes. Don't force anything!

Have a great time!

Thank you all so much. This is great information.

Do I have to sign her up for the kids program ahead of time? If I do, can she just pick and chose what she wants to do? I didn't want to commit one way or another until we got there and she could see it for herself. Right now she says she has no interest and wants to just stay with me. She's not super independent, but may change her mind once she is there.

Is there a good place to look at the children's program activities, schedule, etc. ahead of time? Might be good to look it over with her.

Thanks again!

They will have an open house the first day to sign her up...there is no commitment...she can never go again or go constantly it doesn't matter...but I do recommend if she plans to go to go to the first session....that way none of the kids know anyone and they are all meeting each other...I took a very reluctant 6 year old last month...I had to bribe him with $20 for the arcade to even go...that being said, when we picked him up that evening, he literally looked at his watch and told us "he still had 10 minutes and we would need to come back" lol....he LOVED LOVED LOVED it...we spent plenty of time together as a family during the day and he went to the kids club in the evenings it worked out great for us....PS...I LOVE THE PRIDE...hope you have a great trip !!!

I say at least sign her up for the kids club, so she can check it out and see if she likes it. She does not have to stay there all day. When I took my necice on a cruise she only went at night. They had dance parties, where they would make it like a night club almost. One night I went to get her and they had the lights out, mood glow light, strobe lights, music pumping and the kids where dancing around with glow sticks. It looked like a rave lol. She didn't want to leave.

I say Half moon cay is your beach day for sure.

The first night is important for two reasons.

First, kids seem naturally to form groups for meeting up during the duration of the cruise.

Second, they will get a printed copy of all scheduled activities. We take it to dinner each night and make tentative plans for the following day based on their interests.

OK, a third thing, we use post it notes on the mirror to communicate changes in plans.

It's not hard to stay in touch and if your child doesn't want to participate after the first night, nothing lost. It's not day care, it's fun stuff.

Enjoy.

What it the cost per day or night?

Drrandall,

There is no cost during the day. They offer a few options to 0300 for younger age groups that charge by the hour; I'm not sure what the current rate is, but it used to be very low $.

Hi, we have cruised with our daughters since they were 2yrs old , now 16 and 21. Leaving out on the Pride soon and they are excited. Sign your child up for the kid's programs. Both of my kids loved the options of getting the schedule of what was planned and then having some kid time and then opting out later to do family stuff.

Also the kids programs usually have family activities built in so we did spa/ nail stuff, scavenger hunts etc as families and met their new friends. it is a growing experience , try new foods , meet new friends.Also the camp counselors are great. So let her spread her wings a bit, you will both be happy with the new experiences and there are so many fun memories now around my house, pillow cases, t shirts and other arts and crafts that they did thru the years. Great memories.