NCL Gem Review April 8, 2017 10 day sailing

nycfa

Yesterday we returned home after a wonderful 10 day Spring Break sailing on the NCL Gem.

To start off the review I will tell you a little bit about us:

My Husband and myself are both 47 and we traveled with our two daughters who are 15 and 12. This was Spring Break for the kids schools and in an unusual event the kids actually had a 10 day spring break! Normally it's only 7 days.

So we decided to take a cruise for the break instead of our normal summer vacation. We did decide to book the cruise 2.5 months before the sailing so we had to book and make final payment the same day! :)

While this was cruise number 11 for my husband and myself and cruise number 5 for the kids...it was our First Time trying Norwegian. We booked a Balcony Guarantee so of course, I was constantly checking to see if our room had been assigned. LOL

Thankfully we didn't have to wait too long at the 60 day mark we were assigned cabin 10010 on Deck 10 Forward. We were pleased with our assignment as we were close to the Spa (Husband got the Thermal Suite Pass) as well as just a short walk to the Buffet.

So the Itinerary for the trip was as follows:

Sat April 8 Departs NYC

Sun At Sea

Mon At Sea

Tues At Sea

Wed San Juan 8 to 5

Thu St. Thomas 8 to 5

Fri St Maarten 8 to 6

Sat Tortola BVI 7 to 1

Sun At Sea

Mon At Sea

Tues Arrive NYC

Seemed like it took forever for the big day to arrive but FINALLY it was here.....

IMG_2690.jpg

We live about an hour north of the city and my FIL was able to drive us down as well as pick us up on our return.

We pulled into the port about 9:40 and unloaded our luggage over to the porters and headed inside the building.

We lined up for security which opened at 10 and begun to quickly process everyone thru the line.

Next we lined up for our room keys and got a number for boarding. We were number 21. About 11:30 they started boarding. After calling for the upper level cruisers they called a few numbers then did a call of all numbers 7 to 23.....so we were swiped on board and walking toward the ship by 11:45!

BB628084-0865-4631-BFCF-39A5623C7FC2.jpg

My kids walking to the gangway....

IMG_2695.jpg

Walking outside on Deck 7 being greeted by the staff...

A9D5AD15-0FD7-45B8-AA01-222CED0E3F66.jpg

9647663F-E411-4A1E-BF21-15C92AD91364.jpg

Of course we headed straight to the Garden Cafe for a buffet lunch before it started getting busy then set off to explore the ship until the cabins were ready!

I went for a stroll and saw these folks checking out their cool cabin with a private hot tub. Lucky them!

F40CD6A3-768A-4C34-8ED5-24358D647E6C.jpg

Walking along the jogging path towards the back of the ship

IMG_0988.jpg

Soon they made the announcement our cabins were ready so off we went to look....

We had a Balcony on Deck 10 Forward. 10010 I will admit when we first got in there I was like wow this is tight but honestly it ended up being just fine! I loved the side cubicles by the door for our clothes. I was able to use one for myself and each kids stuff. I gave my husband the closet and the drawers. I used the suitcases under the bed for dirty clothes as the cruise went on. It helps we do NOT bring dress up clothes. We had shorts/t shirts/capris/jeans/swimsuits. Easy. After 11 cruises I do not have ANY desire to dress up. BTDT.

I will also say while yes I have teenage daughters neither one are high maintenance when it comes to clothes or hair etc. So four of us to one room works out just fine. We have a system and it works. The balcony helps to give us some quiet space if needed.

IMG_0997.jpg

The bathroom is small.....I always did my make up in the main room (so many mirrors to choose from!). Basically everyone was in and out as far as the bathroom went. You could close the door to the toilet area if you wished but it made it very small. Never really a need to do that anyway when you travel with close family. ;)

IMG_0999.jpg

Check out our view from our balcony.......we could see into the bridge and it was very interesting as we often saw the Captain or other staff members in there.

42716CD1-FECE-4D22-8F11-F504FF037FEB.jpg

Soon it was time to depart NYC and one of the highights is passing the Statue of Liberty. Normally we go up on a top deck but today our balcony was on the prefect side for getting photos of Lady Liberty!

3B2A6AE2-DD6D-4C73-82F9-E97E1621B2B4.jpg

Then of course the Verrazano Narrows Bridge...

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

Here we go...

A56B6FC5-5B87-40BE-A708-E462414F7E26.jpg

After passing under the Bridge my husband and I went to dinner at Magenta's while the kids did the Garden Cafe Buffet.

So let's talk a minute about the food:

We did NOT do any paid dining on this cruise. We are not "foodies" and pretty much as long as I didn't have to cook it I'm good! LOL There is so much free food on a cruise I do not find the need to pay anything additional as far as food is concerned. Honestly that is wasted on us. If you enjoy food and the whole experience go for it. Paying extra for that is worth it for you! I have heard all very nice things about those dining experiences but it doesn't have any appeal for us. JMO.

My husband and I ate dinner 3 times at Magenta's.

We ate lunch once at Grand Pacific and once at O'Sheehan's.

All our other meals where at the Garden Cafe Buffet. My kids ONLY ate at the Garden Cafe.

We also always hit the Great Outdoors for an afternoon snack of cookies on a daily basis.

We found all the food was good and we never went anywhere we couldn't find something to eat.

If you are wondering why we pretty much just stuck with the buffet......it was just easier and faster and had something for everyone. I have one kid who is a vegetarian. I found the meals at the restaurants almost too much food and liked to get a bit of this and that off the buffet. Often the kids would finish first and take off to hang out in the card room to play games or explore the ship. I just found it a more relaxed way to dine.

Also I will state we did NOT get the UBP either. We are not drinkers. My husband has a few drinks per cruise. I rarely drink at all. I stick with water and coffee (both the ship water and coffee are just fine for me!). My kids do no drink soda so they get the water and lemonade. A juice at breakfast.

Yeah, we are pretty simple and easy to please as far as that stuff goes!

We tend to go to bed early and were asleep most night by 10 - 10:30 pm. So we have no insight to the ships night life. LOL

In case you were wondering what the bed set up at night looked like this is it:

IMG_1020.jpg

Here you are see you CAN get out to the balcony but watch your head! It was doable you just had to sit on the bed and slide over under the pullman. During the day he put the bed back up in the ceiling (he asked what we preferred).

IMG_1015.jpg

This is the fold out sofa I actually slept here and let my husband and oldest (she is 5'10") have the bed. I was shocked how comfortable it was!! My husband said he would switch with me one night and I was like NO!! LOL

IMG_1294.jpg

Kids hanging out in the evening.

IMG_1291.jpg

View of room from the other side looking at the door

IMG_1292.jpg

I'm an early riser and I enjoy a quiet morning walk on the ships when we cruise. So I was up by 6:30 and sitting in the Great Outdoors enjoying my first cup of coffee of the day. I'm really missing that right now! The coffee at my kitchen table is NOT the same as this view...

IMG_2739.jpg

After my coffee I wanted to get my walk in but quickly realized the jogging track is no good for walking while others are jogging. It's very narrow in spots and makes if difficult for them to pass. Then I found Deck 7 prefect for walking even better while it's outdoors its covered so you can walk even when it's raining.

I liked to go out there with my tunes and head phones in the morning as well as after dinner. I was enjoying myself at the buffet but wanted to try and keep those extra pounds at bay! We also ONLY took the stairs. We didn't step in an elevator for 10 days. Talk about feeling the burn. LOL

987E9DB6-A26D-4DBA-B1D1-3B648ADD4341.jpg

In case you wondered how far you were walking...

EF26F345-20F1-43C5-9E2D-32A11B0139B0.jpg

So this is me running back up to Deck 12 to get water after my walk......LOL

D6A308C0-9FBC-457C-BA8E-0634A9141DC5.jpg

Our first sea day was still on the cool side so not much activity on the pool decks.

My youngest did the coin crusher on board the ship. It was $1 for each coin. You didn't have to provide the coin.

FD5264C9-5F0D-4DA4-A22A-327CCCF388BA.jpg

We also had a Meet and Greet that morning which was set up by one of our Roll Call Members here on Cruise Critic. Several of the ships officers as well as the Cruise Director and the Captain came introduced themselves. It was held at Le Bistro at 11 am.

IMG_2743.jpg

They provided some nice refreshments for us.

ED533BD7-8EBA-4773-B6A6-EE323C3FE3BF.jpg

It was fun and we enjoyed meeting the folks we had been chatting with here the last few weeks.

Following the M&G we had Slot Pull. Everyone put in $15 and got 5 pulls and we split the winnings.....we managed to all get $16 back. So everyone won a $1. LOL It was also a lot of fun.

Sea Day (Mon)

Today it started to warm up a bit. Pool deck was busy and if you had an doubt it was Spring Break week here in NY the family hot tub left no doubt....full of kids! LOL

IMG_2763.jpg

They also did the Sea Day BBQ on Deck today.

C4AD70C8-7750-42C6-AEA5-6F0ACA6A7F78.jpg

F915E4D2-B7BB-4C37-A212-1F0A67DF3EE8.jpg

The sun deck on deck 14

DFC89497-0169-4D01-8555-5E77CFCB9105.jpg

Later in the afternoon the seas did pick up a bit and it was getting on the rough side.

This video was taken on Deck 7 around 4:30 pm

[YOUTUBE]IYyV_SyHjGE[/YOUTUBE]

These were out and about in the stairways

CE4A7C26-C74F-4233-8536-E54174908845.jpg

Thankfully none of us got sea sick. I know for myself I can NOT sit in my cabin when it's rocking and need to get out in the fresh air on a deck. Balcony isn't enough. Also FYI make sure to keep eating normally. Ask any crew member and they will tell you an empty stomach is a no no . Only makes it worse! Also go for a green apple. They are always on the buffet and help as well. :)

following closely..how was your husbands experience at the thermal spa? was it busy? can we bring in any snacks?

thanks in advance

He greatly enjoyed the Thermal Spa and felt it was worth the money. He went every evening from 8 to 10 pm. The ladies at the desk were always friendly and helpful. Never felt it was busy. I just asked and he said he never saw anyone bring snacks but didn't necessarily see why you couldn't? He said they often had fruit available in there most times and of course, water, infused water, ice tea available.

For the 10 days I purchased it for him before we left for $199 I saw if you purchased on board it was $246. Good savings to purchase before hand!

If you go on You Tube and search for Thermal Spa NCL Gem there is a really great video of the spa someone filmed.

In the evenings my kids enjoyed going to the card room. They had cards, chess, checkers, clue to name a few for everyone to use and enjoy.....

7EFC6D00-8BA9-4469-80C3-ABD79BE5AEE9.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

Thanks for following so far.....more to come in the morning.....

By the 3rd Sea Day the air temps were definitely much warmer!

A helpful hint for seating during Breakfast......my family would always enter and hit the main buffet in the Garden Cafe then make our way to the back where they always had La Cucina open for breakfast seating. NEVER did we have any issue finding a seat there plus it was super easy to find your family vs. searching the cafe.

IMG_1021.jpg

The back door from La Cucina opened up onto the Great Outdoors which also had a morning buffet where we got more food if needed as well as our drinks/coffee

IMG_1024.jpg