Japan embarkation port recommendation

LaraTiara

Hi fellow cruisers -

Any recommendations for the embarkation port in Japan (or Taiwan)? Please explain how you reached your decision, if you could.

Researching a spring 2019 8-day on Diamond.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think you have much choice in choosing an embarkation port on the Diamond. She generally cruises for a couple of months out of Yokohama and then for a couple of months out of Kobe. So you pick the month and Princess picks the port. Unfortunately, while she may stop in Taiwan, that is not an embarkation port. Of the two Japanese ports, we prefer Kobe, mainly because we have had such pleasant experiences interacting with the friendly people there. Yokohama might be easier to get to as it is close to Tokyo and its international airport.

We did a round trip out of Yokohama and spent extra days in Tokyo - which is amazing in so many ways - and Kyoto, which really should be visited for longer than the day Princess provides. And went to the world's best theme park, Tokyo DisneySea.

Apparently Diamond is boarding people in several different ports. EM

https://www.princess.com/find/searchResults.do

Thanks for that. I hadn't realized that you could board in Keelung and get off in the next port of Yokohama. A couple of years ago my dw got off at Keelung and rejoined the ship in Hong Kong 4-days later so maybe there are more possibilities available.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I thought that we would want to tour Tokyo on surrounding days.

So I booked it.

I know, it's crazy (to some) to do so far in advance, but it is what works best for us.

Thanks again everyone.

I have not cruised from Japan, but did spend 10 days in Tokyo and Kyoto and it was amazing! Beautiful country! It is worth spending extra time pre or post cruise. Enjoy!:D

Thanks, this is very good to hear. [emoji2]

Grateful we can do it - or at least book it for March 2019 and hope for the best, right!