How do the dining perks work?

Retired 07

We are sailing on the Koningsdam in June, and one of the perks is a free dinner in the Pinnacle Grill. I want to book it for the first night of the cruise(I always hear that the dining room is a mess on the first night). I know I can book it on line in advance, but how do they know it is a freebie? There is a place to put a promotion code, but I don't have one. Will I be charged and there will be a credit on my bill at the end of the cruise? Is there some kind of card in the stateroom? We've never gotten a perk like this before, and I have no idea how it works. Any info will be appreciated.

Any reservations that you make on HAL's website prior to sailing are considered purchases and must be paid for at the time that you make them. This includes gifts, excursions, beverages, and dining options.

If your complimentary dinner is part of Explore 4, it is my understanding that HAL has already made the reservation for you. You will find a card in your cabin noting the time of the reservation as soon as you board. If the reservation is not to your liking, you can change it once you are on the ship.

Any reservations that you make on HAL's website prior to sailing are considered purchases and must be paid for at the time that you make them. This includes gifts, excursions, beverages, and dining options.

If your complimentary dinner is part of Explore 4, it is my understanding that HAL has already made the reservation for you. You will find a card in your cabin noting the time of the reservation as soon as you board. If the reservation is not to your liking, you can change it once you are on the ship.

Thank you for your answer. I don't think it was Explore 4. Our statement calls it "dine around", and includes dinner at the Canaletto also. Would the same rules apply? How can they make a dinner reservation for you without knowing the time and day you wish to go?

Yes, the Dine Around package works the same way as the PG dinner in the Explore4. They will either make the reservation for you (and notify you with a card) or you will have to make the reservation yourself. I've experienced it both ways. If the dining time you are given is not what you want, you can try to make a change to your reservation. Do this as soon as you board so that you can try to get the dining time you want. Please note that these free dinners are booked around pre-paid reservations so you could be out of luck.

What you can do, to get the day/time you want, is to pre-book, and pay, for your reservation. Then, upon boarding, go to the PG and ask them to replace your "free" reservation with the pre-paid one and credit your account with your payment. I think this will be granted but be aware that it might not. If there are a lot of "free" dinners offered for that particular cruise, then I would think your chances are better.

Yes, the Dine Around package works the same way as the PG dinner in the Explore4. They will either make the reservation for you (and notify you with a card) or you will have to make the reservation yourself. I've experienced it both ways. If the dining time you are given is not what you want, you can try to make a change to your reservation. Do this as soon as you board so that you can try to get the dining time you want. Please note that these free dinners are booked around pre-paid reservations so you could be out of luck.

What you can do, to get the day/time you want, is to pre-book, and pay, for your reservation. Then, upon boarding, go to the PG and ask them to replace your "free" reservation with the pre-paid one and credit your account with your payment. I think this will be granted but be aware that it might not. If there are a lot of "free" dinners offered for that particular cruise, then I would think your chances are better.

Thank you. This is a 14 night cruise, so we will probably eat in the PG twice. So, I'll go ahead and reserve it for the first night of the cruise. Do you know if the "promo code" space on the reservation form is for the free dinners?

Keep in mind if yours is "free" you might get bumped in priority for those who paid outright for their Pinnacle reservation. But if there is an opening I am sure they will try to accommodate you. But as you stated, first night might be a prime time, your "free" reservation just might not make it on top of the regulars who also like to use the Pinnacle that night too.

We did that once ourselves - went to Pinnacle the first night, to avoid the back-up of so many new people and the strains it puts on the dining staff that first night.

However, with this caveat: they filled our assigned late-seating fixed dining table in the main dining room with someone else that first night when we had Pinnacle reservations (#1). (The ship's computer knows these things.)

Then we switched table locations after our first night after we finally got back to the MDR (#2).. So by the time we finally showed up on the third night at our final destination table (#3), our dining stewards didn't know who we were or whether we would be disappearing again.

That was the one cruise where we felt we never clicked with the stewards, compared to those where we start out with the same team on the first night forward. If you have chosen any-time dining, obviously this is not a consideration.