Naples Train To Sorrento

b_cruise

Has anyone taken the local train to Sorrento from Naples. I took the ferry last year but was wondering on experiences on the train as I have read mixed reviews.

We did this last summer. It felt a little sketchy (as in not as clean or new) compared to the other public transportation we took in Italy, but we didn't feel unsafe. It gets very crowded the closer you get to Sorrento- body to body. But it was inexpensive and efficient. We took our small rolly bags with us without any problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The Circumvesuviana train is functional and it's inexpensive, that's about the best you can say for it.

It's not comfortable, it's almost always crowded, the pickpocket threat is quite real, and the AC can't keep up with the crowds and the doors opening every three or four minutes at stops.

The Campania Express train is considerably better, but only runs a few times a day.

Think of the Circumvesuviana as akin to a regional commuter train. It is not fancy, but it works. It is also a privately owned railroad company...so its nice to support something that is not "government." The line runs a train every 30 minutes on the line (between Naples and Sorrento) and there are no reservations. You simply go to the station, buy your ticket..and get on the next train. Expecting fancy on this line is like expecting fancy on a subway! It ain't going to happen.

Hank

I've used the Circumvesuviana many, many times. A few years ago I stayed in Sorrento for a week and used the train virtually every day to get around the sites -- Herculaneum, Pompeii, Naples, etc.

It's pretty much as others have said. I kind of enjoy it in an odd way; it's used by locals and tourists, and I like that sort of "slice of life" experience.

We are 3 traveling from Naples train station to sorrento and would also need to get from sorrento to santa agata....

So I crunched the numbers...and....added in a healthy dose of convenience and comfort and practical thinking....

While the train from Naples centrale to sorrento is reasonable priced...the taxi to our hotel from sorrento is not

So...for approx 85euro....

There will be a guy at the train station standing there with a plaque with our name on it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

ya, I'm just a bit worried about me alone and my luggage. The other option is that other train but my wait time would be over 1 1/2 hours, so I may bite the bullet and travel.. hahah. take a risk and protect all my belongings, hahaha... The more expensive option would be to go from the station to the ferry, still pondering that one... hmm.. problems of the 1st world, haha.. So blessed!!

ya, I'm just a bit worried about me alone and my luggage. The other option is that other train but my wait time would be over 1 1/2 hours, so I may bite the bullet and travel.. hahah. take a risk and protect all my belongings, hahaha... The more expensive option would be to go from the station to the ferry, still pondering that one... hmm.. problems of the 1st world, haha.. So blessed!!

It's really not magic or luck. If you are careful and take the normal precautions with your valuables, you will be completely fine.

Or doing something like getting a private ride is fine too

When a traveler is just paying for themselves it one thing but once it's 3 or more the savings is really moot considering the enormous comfort a private ride gets you

Heck even for 2 it's worth it to me

Getting a taste of the local atmosphere is easily done elsewhere and if one chooses to not do it on a local train so be it

Since this thread is about transportation from Naples to the sorrento area.....

Can anyone who has used a private driver from the train station please give a suggestion/reference etc?

I have found several online at a price point that is more than reasonable for my travel party....

So any suggestions ?

Any companies you have used?

We're currently in Sorrento and have used the ferry and train to travel to and from Naples. Both are fine and easy but the local and more frequent train is very crowded and wouldn't be my choice if I had a lot of luggage.

Pick pocketing as mentioned by others is a real problem. Someone tried to pick my husbands pocket as we boarded the train in a crowd of people in Naples but quickly backed off and left the train when he realised he had been caught out.