Tour/ no Tour rehash for Estonia- what was your favorite thing?

I keep changing my mind between taking a tour and not taking a tour in Estonia. We are only there from noon until 5, so I keep waffling. Leaning toward DIY with Rick Steve's but wondering what others loved or hated as far as sites or shops? What was the neatest thing for you? Mary mentioned a chocolate shop, what did everyone else find as a hidden gem?

If this is your first visit I would spend your time doing Tallin on your own. I am not sure about the chocolate shop -- we found a couple of girls trading from a cart in the market place and selling spiced nuts which were delicious.

The City is a photographers paradise and a very safe place to walk around.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Was there any place you found to be special in particular? A neat shop, or cafe, or special view?

From the pictures I thought that all of the views from the upper town were good. We followed other people to find the good viewing places. There were a number of cafes in the main square. We are not adventurous eaters but found a place that had a medieval feel (and had good pizza). In my pictures it is in 4563.

There is a free 2 hour walking tour that gets great reviews but it looks like it could be a huge group as they take whomever shows up. They also offer it as a private tour for 120€ for up to 15 people. We are a group of 6 and I was thinking if I find 3 other couples it would only be 24€ per couple & you get the benefit of having a local person narrate for you. Although the travel books are great, I think having a knowledgeable guide adds something. Or will it not matter in Tallinn?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I plan to do Tallinn on our own. We are a large family group and I was wondering if we would be able to find food walking around, or should I just make a reservation for lunch, at the many restaurants? Thanks for any input, in advance.

I plan to do Tallinn on our own. We are a large family group and I was wondering if we would be able to find food walking around, or should I just make a reservation for lunch, at the many restaurants? Thanks for any input, in advance.
We had lunch at one of the cafes in the main square. It was very easy, and I loved their Baltic herring plate.

• 2 weeks later...

We took a taxi to the top of the city and walked down through Tallin. Going down is easier for us than going up. It is a fun port. There are many places to eat. We had some local beer and cider.

We did the same as dakacz. We were the 4th off the ship and got the first taxi to take us to the overlook in upper old town. The cost was 15 Euros (~$25).We had the upper town to ourselves for the first couple of hours. The tour groups start at the bottom of the hill. What a wonderful place to wander around in. Highlights: Russian Church, Town Square, towers, KaterinaPassage, Sweater Wall, and the Olde Hansa restaurant.The Olde Hansa is just off the square near the town hall. It is a great spot to stop for a beer. I had a tankard of Mead (honey beer) and it was pretty good. Lots of atmosphere. Be sure to go to the restroom there.The toilets look like outhouses and the water comes from a jug. A fun place.

I agree that Tallinn is very easy to do on your own. That's what my husband and I did the first time we were there.

The second time, however, we did the two hour walking tours. There is more than one company doing them, so you have options re: times and topics. We did two: a general old town tour, and another about Tallinn during the Soviet era. I must say that, while we really enjoyed Tallinn on our own the first time, we got so much more out of it with the tours. Estonia's history is fascinating and the tour will show/teach you things that my husband and I certainly did not come across on our own.

• 4 weeks later...
We did the same as dakacz. We were the 4th off the ship and got the first taxi to take us to the overlook in upper old town. The cost was 15 Euros (~$25).We had the upper town to ourselves for the first couple of hours. The tour groups start at the bottom of the hill. What a wonderful place to wander around in. Highlights: Russian Church, Town Square, towers, KaterinaPassage, Sweater Wall, and the Olde Hansa restaurant.The Olde Hansa is just off the square near the town hall. It is a great spot to stop for a beer. I had a tankard of Mead (honey beer) and it was pretty good. Lots of atmosphere. Be sure to go to the restroom there.The toilets look like outhouses and the water comes from a jug. A fun place.

That sounds like a good idea, much easier than going up

We took a taxi to the top of the city and walked down through Tallin. Going down is easier for us than going up. It is a fun port. There are many places to eat. We had some local beer and cider.

How large were the taxis? Where were they lined up? I may need the minivan type of taxi. Thank you for the info. :)

Gloria's is a nice, historic restaurant that serves excellent food.

The absolute highlight of Tallinn is walking around the old town (and try to climb up to the top of the city walls for a great view) but after that there is a nice sea plane museum which has a lot of hands-on exhibits.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get "down the hill"? We like the idea of taking a taxi to the Upper Town and walking down, but we have a bike ride scheduled at 11:00. How far/long is the walk down? Thank you!

TravelingAPor, We were four adults in a taxi with plenty of room. The taxi's were lined up right as we got off the ship.

trbasso, Depends on how much you want to wander and shop. We spent about 4 hours, but we stopped off for a beer at the town square, wandered the back alleys, went into shops, and bought a few sweaters at the sweater wall. You could do it in much less time. It really isn't a long walk.