Escape - WIFI and Dining Reservations

abisha

Cruising on Escape end of May and I have the free wifi as one of my perks. It only allows 250 minutes, so I'll just log on and off as needed. So a few questions regarding the wifi:

Where would I obtain the logon info once I embark? I only need it for texting and maybe using social media.

How is the service? Will I lose a connection often?

If I do want to upgrade to use beyond the 250 minutes, can I buy another package or something unlimited, and how do I do that?

Also, if I want to make a couple of dining reservations at the specialty restaurants when I embark on day 1, would I just go to the restaurant itself or do I go somewhere else, or are there "screens" somewhere that I can use to do online?

Thanks

I had this perk on the BA as well as the pearl. On the Pearl I used it as minutes on the BA I used t as MBs. (1000mbytes). Service was great on both ships. Not sure if Escape allows you to chose whichever option though. I also used an call WhatsApp to make calls. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have very good to excellent results with ship's satellite-based WiFi on the Breakaway to do VoIP calling, Skype & Hangouts are best options as their bandwidth requirement is rather narrow - 300k/sec or better is great but will work as low as 100k/sec (that's Edge or 2G speed, doubled the analog's 56k speed in the old Hayes modem days)

There is a usage meter to help keep track of usage & remaining balance, do remember to log off when no longer using it and then log in again. Should you run out or need more MB or minutes, yes, you can buy more (select from the packages offered) online - DIY with the browser or you can visit the internet cafe & see the manager on duty for help to sign up or troubleshoot issues.

Once onboard, specialty dining reservations can be booked using stateroom's interactive TV, via the reservation hotline or kiosk in the atrium lobby, or with the free iConcierge App (must download & pre-install before sailing, activate upon boarding ... most features are free to use at no extra charges)

Thanks for the info everyone. I just downloaded the iconcierge app. I'll follow instructions to connect to wifi once onboard. I always use WhatsApp for texting to those back home (I've used it before on other cruise lines and other travel, etc.). My question is... once I am connected to WIFI and begin using it, will the charges be automatically credited for the 250 minutes? Or do I have to go to guest services to make sure it is being applied correctly to my "free perk"?

Thanks for the info everyone. I just downloaded the iconcierge app. I'll follow instructions to connect to wifi once onboard ... once I am connected to WIFI and begin using it, will the charges be automatically credited for the 250 minutes? Or do I have to go to guest services to make sure it is being applied correctly to my "free perk"?

Your free minutes would be associated with your Onboard Account when you activate your internet access via your mobile or desktop browser (i.e. at the internet cafe) and listed as 250 minutes.

The basic iConcierge does NOT need WiFi inTERnet access, it connects to the ship's inTRAnet for the basic, free features. Once you register your device(s) and create userID and password, you need to use the browser to log in and log out to start/stop the usage meter from running, or your minutes will run out in a little over 4 hours (250 minutes) for those inTERnet airtime minutes.

For example, you wanted to check on specialty dining slots & make reservations, you use the free iConcierge App functions to do that - do not log in, your device's unique MAC address is linked to your stateroom already. Your will also get an unique 8 digits "phone" number for the ship assigned, for the purpose of getting/making calls, text and free email from the server/NCL onboard. Once you start using it, it's fairly simple to understand.

If you need to make VoIP calls of your own choice/App, whether it's Facetime, Skype or WhatsApp - you need and MUST log-in ... the usage meter start running at that point - and you open your APP and text or call via the WiFi inTERnet. Check your email, weather, browse news, etc. and when you are done, you log-off and stop the clock/meter. iConcierge will switch out but continue to run along.

You should know that this tend to drain the battery faster than usual, those with 6"+ jumbo screen smartphone or phablet ... the battery will run low faster, be prepared to recharge it or use an external USB battery pack.

Internet cafe manager's office hours are posted in the Freestyle Daily, stop by there on Day 1 or Day 2 before you use those free minutes - s/he can explain that & show you the shortcuts ... and, if necessary, give your devices a quick glance/check on its basic settings (i.e cellular data/roaming data OFF, WiFi on, etc.)

Your NCL App should be downloaded & install on your devices(s) already - you can open it to get an idea of what & how, there are help screen to explain ... before you get onboard & activate it.

I bought the unlimited wifi for a 2 week Panama Canal cruise on the Jewel.

Others have already mentioned how you log on and off whenever you want to use it.

Obviously, it was a different ship, but I would suspect similar service.

I will just say it worked great. Excellent speeds - I was able to watch Netflix for goodness sake!

I saw 25 meg down and 10 up.

Latency is the only issue - 700+ milliseconds - but that won't matter too much unless you're trying to play games with the PS4 you brought along! I wondered how well it would work with VOIP, but never tried.