Celebrity Summit 5/14/17-Boarding delay?

andigene

Today, we received texts, voice mail, and Email stating the Summit will be going through its US Coast Guard inspections on Sunday 5/14/17and not to arrive to the pier before 12:00 PM. Boarding will take place between 12 PM and 3 PM. I googled this board and saw this has happened in the past. I wonder whether it has anything to do with the fact that The Summit was in dry dock a few weeks ago? We've been on numerous cruises and this is the first time I've seen this.

Interesting question.... but appears to be coincidental as it pertains to the recent dry dock. Per transportation.gov:

Vessel Safety

The U.S. Coast Guard is responsible for cruise ship safety. Although each cruise ship is subject to the vessel inspection laws of the country in which it is registered, as a condition of permitting the vessels to take on passengers at U.S. ports, the Coast Guard requires the ships to meet the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea and other international regulations. Among other things, these regulations concern structural fire protection, firefighting and lifesaving equipment, watercraft integrity and stability, vessel control, navigation safety, crewing and crew competency, safety management and environmental protection. The Coast Guard conducts routine onboard inspections of cruise ships to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sailing on this cruise and I did not receive any notification about this :o

We just did our pre-boarding, printed luggage tags, etc. a few days ago and one of the entries asked for phone numbers and how do you want to be contacted. We both got contacted, but he also got a voice mail on his cell.

At times it takes longer to clear US CBP when a ship comes in to the first US port after originating from a foreign port - typical example is after a trans-Atlantic cruise - the entire crew must be cleared. But I think the cruise before your cruise is Bayonne-Bermuda-Bayonne so it should be ok from that perspective. CPB must have their reasons.

I got on the Maritime safety exchange. My guess it is 2 issues.

1) Related to the azipod failure they had a deficiency on a safety inspection on March 10th. I am guessing they need to have that changed.

2) They are starting to sail out of a new USCG Zone (Staten Island) They had a similar inspection last year on May 13th.

https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx If you want to check it out.

At times it takes longer to clear US CBP when a ship comes in to the first US port after originating from a foreign port - typical example is after a trans-Atlantic cruise - the entire crew must be cleared. But I think the cruise before your cruise is Bayonne-Bermuda-Bayonne so it should be ok from that perspective. CPB must have their reasons.

I got on the Maritime safety exchange. My guess it is 2 issues.

1) Related to the azipod failure they had a deficiency on a safety inspection on March 10th. I am guessing they need to have that changed.

2) They are starting to sail out of a new USCG Zone (Staten Island) They had a similar inspection last year on May 13th.

https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx If you want to check it out.

We are on the May 7th sailing and that will be the second one for this year out of Bayonne to Bermuda.

It is perplexing the inspection is being delayed till the 3rd sailing out of that port, and not being done on it's first for the year on April 30th, if the rationale derives from the second reason.

Gee, maybe they will fix the alarm in cabin 6001 now that they are going to be inspected. We had an awesome experience on 4/2/17, where only our alarm went off for 75 minutes straight, with them least response from staff I have ever seen on Celebrity. We will go on Cruise Critic and post our Celebrity Summit review in the next few days. Suffice it to say, it was a miserable cruise. If we. Had not been flying to Florida immediately after and going on the Royal Princess, I would have been disgusted. We are seriously rethinking our future bookings with Celebrity

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Gee, maybe they will fix the alarm in cabin 6001 now that they are going to be inspected. We had an awesome experience on 4/2/17, where only our alarm went off for 75 minutes straight, with them least response from staff I have ever seen on Celebrity. We will go on Cruise Critic and post our Celebrity Summit review in the next few days. Suffice it to say, it was a miserable cruise. If we. Had not been flying to Florida immediately after and going on the Royal Princess, I would have been disgusted. We are seriously rethinking our future bookings with Celebrity

I will be looking for your review. How did you like the Royal Princess? We sailed on the Regal in December and loved the ship. Currently, Celebrity is our cruise line of choice, but, I would jump on a chance to cruise on this class of Princess ship again. Also, we noticed Princess crew very eager to please.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe you should re-post in a different thread as I started this thread having to do with the notice we received re: inspection affecting our boarding times. We go back and forth between Princess and Celebrity, and each cruise have had their bad points and their good points. This time, we really didn't care as it's just a quick getaway and just a short drive from our home to the pier, as opposed to a flight. We are looking forward and we expect to have an enjoyable time.

We are on the May 7th sailing and that will be the second one for this year out of Bayonne to Bermuda.

It is perplexing the inspection is being delayed till the 3rd sailing out of that port, and not being done on it's first for the year on April 30th, if the rationale derives from the second reason.

My guess would be that is when USCG can fit them in. Now that they are part of the Department of Homeland Security they are VERY understaffed and underfunded. With the thousands of ships that ply the waters in Long Island Sector it is amazing they can get it done at all.

Heck this years budget shows them being cut by $1.3B.

Will the USCG inspection impact the passengers getting OFF the Summit on 5-14-17?

I would highly doubt it. It isn't a security screening. It's more of a safety thing. A bunch of USCG inspectors will be crawling around the ship. If anything they might rush to get you off!