Sun Princess New Year Cruise - any comments/recommendations please?

Gail5863

With it being cold and down to 5 below zero here in the UK, I am dreaming of Caribbean beaches and warm seas!! - and the Caribbean cruise on Sun Princess we booked months ago is at last on the horizon (departs 28 December). Has anyone got any hints or tips to make this a trip to remember.... Haven't cruised on Princess before, but many other lines, and have been to the Caribbean several times. Have booked a balcony cabin on 'Caribe' deck, tho I am thinking poss to try and upgrade - is it worth it? what would be the next best option (if available?). Have gone for 'anytime dining' which is what we prefer, but is there anything we should note? Are the beds comfy? Do I need to take my own Pillow!? We love snorkelling - are there any particular places to visit, How is the ship? (I know it is a slightly older ship and was 'rather disappointed' when I went on Celebrity Century a month ago, at how worn out and tired it appeared). I'd rather go prepared and be ready for whatever awaits! Thank you for any input.

We have cruised on the Sun earlier this year and in March of 04, and we love the ship and the ports. A private whale-watching/snorkelling day-long excursion in St Lucia was fantastic. We have had some good snorkelling at Princess Cays, as well.

I understand that the Sun is presently having some technical problems...the thrusters have not been working for some time, and it appears that now, according to a very recent post here, (perhaps on the "live from the sun", that the ship is having to miss a port or 2 because she can not reach cruising speed.

Some other poster is actually concerned that an uncoming cruise willl be cancelled in order to lay her up and fix some of the problems.

Other than that, as I have said, we really do like the ship and her crew....we are booked next on her sister ship, the Sea and have 14 days of crusing to look forward to.

I hope you enjoy her as much as we do.

Even though you have anytime dining I would get a standing table for the week. Meet the maitre d' and he will set you up with the same table at the same time. That way you can call and change the time if you want but still have a standing reservation.

Request an egg crate mattress it makes all the difference in the world.

Request robes and sneak over to the hot tub in the spa area late at night for a truely relaxing experience.

Have a Verdi's pizza (room service will deliver).

The Sun is a great ship and never felt "old" to us.

Archived