Big decision to make!!

bmetz34

We're currently booked on the Elation in August for 5 days with half moon cay and Nassau. It's a 6 hr drive from NC. I paid it off sooner than expecting and now I'm wondering if we should switch to the 6 day (Nassau, hmc, freeport) out of Charleston that I initially avoided bc of cost. It'll be $600 more, but will save us 1 to 2 nights in a hotel and is only a3 hr drive. From a quick look, it's got the upgrades that elation does not yet have. Do I make the switch?? It's a surprise for hubby so I have to make this decision on my own, with your help!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

We're currently booked on the Elation in August for 5 days with half moon cay and Nassau. It's a 6 hr drive from NC. I paid it off sooner than expecting and now I'm wondering if we should switch to the 6 day (Nassau, hmc, freeport) out of Charleston that I initially avoided bc of cost. It'll be $600 more, but will save us 1 to 2 nights in a hotel and is only a3 hr drive. From a quick look, it's got the upgrades that elation does not yet have. Do I make the switch?? It's a surprise for hubby so I have to make this decision on my own, with your help!!

An extra day on the ship, no hotel, and less driving. Take the 6 day, I would. :D

Yes, make the switch.

The money you save by not booking a hotel for 2 nights + the gas money you save on driving 3 fewer hours each way will substantially offset the extra cost of the cruise. So, by spending what will probably only be a couple hundred of dollars more, you are getting an extra cruise day on a nicer ship.

What's not to like about this deal?

If it were me, I would switch to the 6 days cruise. The only negative is the extra cost but not the whole $600.

There are a lot of pluses to changing to the 6 days cruise.

You get an extra day of cruising.

Less driving, therefore save on gas

No hotel expenses, maybe less food/restaurant expenses

6 days ship has upgrades Elation does not have

Even though you have paid in full, it is still before final payment so think you can change without any penalties. You will just pay the difference for the cruises.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!

If it were me, I would switch to the 6 days cruise. The only negative is the extra cost but not the whole $600.

There are a lot of pluses to changing to the 6 days cruise.

You get an extra day of cruising.

Less driving, therefore save on gas

No hotel expenses, maybe less food/restaurant expenses

6 days ship has upgrades Elation does not have

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!

This is what my notes look like at the moment. Just want to make sure in not making a rash decision in the heart of the moment! And that the ecstasy isn't awful lol. Ill read some reviews and feel better and then probably do it!

This is what my notes look like at the moment. Just want to make sure in not making a rash decision in the heart of the moment! And that the ecstasy isn't awful lol. Ill read some reviews and feel better and then probably do it!

In your initial post, you did not say the 6 days cruise was on the Ecstasy, just that it has been upgraded vs the Elation not.

We went on the Ecstasy ( beautiful ship ) in 1992 when she was new. The Elation in 2001 and I believe it was her Inaugural year. So even though the Ecstasy has the upgrades, she is still 9 years older. Does that make a difference? Maybe someone else can chime in and give you an opinion. We have not been on either since 2005 on the Elation.

In your initial post, you did not say the 6 days cruise was on the Ecstasy, just that it has been upgraded vs the Elation not.

We went on the Ecstasy ( beautiful ship ) in 1992 when she was new. The Elation in 2001 and I believe it was her Inaugural year. So even though the Ecstasy has the upgrades, she is still 9 years older. Does that make a difference? Maybe someone else can chime in and give you an opinion. We have not been on either since 2005 on the Elation.

Love both ports and ships , Ecstasy by far is the better choice . Current staff on Elation seems to be a training crew . Tables left uncleaned in volumes ,staff just didn't seem to care :( .

Depends on what rate you booked original cruise with. Will you be hit with penalties and fees on top of the higher cruise price?

I booked early saver but lucked out with a supervisor who waived the fees bc it was considered an upgrade. I went ahead and did it! Probably saving money on the deal now bc our cabana at hmc isn't available anymore and neither is fttf. Kind of bummed we won't be rolling like VIPs anymore but well make it work!

I booked early saver but lucked out with a supervisor who waived the fees bc it was considered an upgrade. I went ahead and did it! Probably saving money on the deal now bc our cabana at hmc isn't available anymore and neither is fttf. Kind of bummed we won't be rolling like VIPs anymore but well make it work!

Awesome! Enjoy your cruise.

Keep looking for FTTF. It sometimes pops up randomly.

We also live in NC and always cruise from Florida for our Christmas cruise each year (PC about 8 - 8.5 hrs drive) and dont really want to do that for a shorter cruise. When we choose to do a "filler" cruise ( filler cruise = a shorter, relaxing, cuz I cannot wait until December cruise) in the summer we typically go for the Charleston cruise. We can leave the morning of cruise from home and still board early (we always park at port) with FTTF. It is very convenient if you live in NC (especially the eastern/coastal side) and the drive is short enough to make it really tempting to do it more often.

I would take the Charleston cruise as it would be much more relaxing with such a short drive and if no hotel it balances out the extra cost of the actual cruise, plus the extra day! Do it.....:D

Probably saving money on the deal now bc our cabana at hmc isn't available anymore and neither is fttf. Kind of bummed we won't be rolling like VIPs anymore but well make it work!

Maybe someone will cancel their cabana. I loved having it for the day, well worth the price! Keep checking FTTF as well.

We also live in NC and always cruise from Florida for our Christmas cruise each year (PC about 8 - 8.5 hrs drive) and dont really want to do that for a shorter cruise. When we choose to do a "filler" cruise ( filler cruise = a shorter, relaxing, cuz I cannot wait until December cruise) in the summer we typically go for the Charleston cruise. We can leave the morning of cruise from home and still board early (we always park at port) with FTTF. It is very convenient if you live in NC (especially the eastern/coastal side) and the drive is short enough to make it really tempting to do it more often.

I would take the Charleston cruise as it would be much more relaxing with such a short drive and if no hotel it balances out the extra cost of the actual cruise, plus the extra day! Do it.....:D

We're in western nc but still only 3 hr drive to port. It's sounding a lot better than 6hrs in the car with an active toddler! Especially after when you're sad vacation is over and don't want to deal with more travel!

If you want a cabana you may want to check as soon as you board. I did a last minute cruise on the Ecstasy and they were all gone online. They made an announcement the night before Half Moon Cay that they still had a few available.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Nice!! I hear they might open up around 60 days when ppl have to pay or cancel...

It sounds like it will be your first cruise from Charleston SC. It is a beautiful town, with several nice things to do before and after. Very near the port is the Aquarium ( assuming it is back open from Hurricane Mathew, pretty sure it is). Something fun to do before that short drive back home.

I also suggest having a sense of adventure and patients with the parking process at the port... We view it like being in a maze... they feed you from point to point for paying, check in, luggage drop off, and parking... it is probably the worst port I have been in with regards to the flow, but the people are always nice.

Have a great cruise! I wish they had the dates I wanted this June for more than a 4 day.. We will be going the 6 hr drive to Jacksonville...

If you want a cabana you may want to check as soon as you board. I did a last minute cruise on the Ecstasy and they were all gone online. They made an announcement the night before Half Moon Cay that they still had a few available.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

This is great advice for ALL Excursions. Plans change all the time. At least this way Guest Services knows that there is someone who wants that spot. For instance, someone books an excursion, but can't make it. (Happened to me because I took too many birthday shots, well 2 shots, which for someone who doesn't really drink was enough- St. Kitts was a bust and I am still kicking myself! I know that raw liquor does not agree with me!)

Plus, they always have those excursions to give away at the Port of Call seminar. You never know which excursion was reserved as a freebie for this seminar and they could give the slot to you- a paying customer!

Ya might get lucky!

Maybe someone will cancel their cabana. I loved having it for the day, well worth the price! Keep checking FTTF as well.

Just a heads-up. We were on the Elation last month with a stop at HMC. We were surprising friends of ours and wanted to get a cabana as part of the surprise. Checked and checked before the cruise and cabanas showed Not Available over and over again. When we boarded, we went to Shore Excursions to see if anyone had cancelled. They said "No, but we have 3 available." WHAT?"

So we got the cabana. Hooray! But, BOO. We didn't make it to HMC due to weather. :loudcry:

That makes us now only 2 for 5.

Edited by tandemcruzr

Just a heads-up. We were on the Elation last month with a stop at HMC. We were surprising friends of ours and wanted to get a cabana as part of the surprise. Checked and checked before the cruise and cabanas showed Not Available over and over again. When we boarded, we went to Shore Excursions to see if anyone had cancelled. They said "No, but we have 3 available." WHAT?"

So we got the cabana. Hooray! But, BOO. We didn't make it to HMC due to weather. :loudcry:

That makes us now only 2 for 5.

Urrgghhh I really hope we make it!!