Affordable cell phone for cruise

kimma11

I have a 1 year old that I am leaving at home for the first time being gone so long. Since I have ATT and wi-fi calling I was just going to an internet package on the cruise ship so I could video chat her and or call her or if they need me. Prior to having a child I only used my phone for pics and a clock when we were at the port. Otherwise I love being off the grid. Not so much with my baby at home though.

We're leaving our 10.5mo for the first time in July. We were going to do the social package for $5, but for $10 we will just use our ATT plan during the 3 port days and can skype to see her.

• 2 weeks later...
I understand when we board the ship we should put our phones on airplane mode to avoid the international charges. I had planned on adding the international plan to only my phone so we could be contacted if it is an emergency, but it is $40 for 1 month. Are there any cheaper options y'all have used?

Cell phone on a cruise? Can't say I've ever considered having one.

Just get the Social Media plan and if you need to be reached they can message you on FB Messenger or WhatsApp or one of those.

My DS and DIL did this recently. They called me a few times via FB Messenger. It was a bit spotty on the ship, but had no issues in port. Great deal for only $5 a day!

I always found it fascinating that this subject was so polarizing. I doubt that many people that are so determined to be off the grid while cruising do so on vacations that are not cruises. There is no reason why someone can't go off the grid while traveling on vacations other than a cruise. Also not sure why so many people directly link being off the grid to vacation enjoyment, in all of my vacations (cruising and others) I can't remember a single time where having a cell phone was a detriment.

It's because my boss doesn't know I could be on the grid on a cruise ship because he hasn't taken a cruise in a while. I don't care to correct him on that. It's why I prefer cruise vacations now. Boss accepts I can't be reached at all while I'm on the ship, unlike if I go on vacation on land, I'm expected to have my phone on and be available for emergencies. Have had a few vacations ruined where I spent over half working because someone broke something.

I always found it fascinating that this subject was so polarizing. I doubt that many people that are so determined to be off the grid while cruising do so on vacations that are not cruises. There is no reason why someone can't go off the grid while traveling on vacations other than a cruise. Also not sure why so many people directly link being off the grid to vacation enjoyment, in all of my vacations (cruising and others) I can't remember a single time where having a cell phone was a detriment.
Agreed. It never fails, anytime someone asks questions about using phones on board, there's always some who come along with the "off the grid" argument, as if we're doing something wrong by using our phones. So you don't use your cell phone while cruising, good for you. If the question at hand is about using one, you're not helping with your tales of going off the grid. Now, if someone had their nose buried in a device the entire cruise and missed much of the fun a cruise has to offer, sure, I'd shake my head. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to keep in touch with folks back home now & again.

It's because my boss doesn't know I could be on the grid on a cruise ship because he hasn't taken a cruise in a while. I don't care to correct him on that. It's why I prefer cruise vacations now. Boss accepts I can't be reached at all while I'm on the ship, unlike if I go on vacation on land, I'm expected to have my phone on and be available for emergencies. Have had a few vacations ruined where I spent over half working because someone broke something.
If your boss has interrupted your personal vacation time so much that you now have to "hide" on cruise vacations just to avoid him, that's your own problem and doesn't have anything to do with people who want to keep in touch with friends and/or family back home. What happens when he finds out there are options available to contact you while on board? At some point you're probably going to have to have a discussion about the time you've earned for yourself away from work. Edited by Organized Chaos

If your boss has interrupted your personal vacation time so much that you now have to "hide" on cruise vacations just to avoid him, that's your own problem and doesn't have anything to do with people who want to keep in touch with friends and/or family back home. What happens when he finds out there are options available to contact you while on board? At some point you're probably going to have to have a discussion about the time you've earned for yourself away from work.

It's definitely my problem. To each their own. If you want to cruise and use your phone, you're welcome to. Doesn't bother me a bit. I don't care what anyone is doing unless you are affecting me somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival should rent a phone for the cruise.

Why? what's wrong with your own cell phone? I use the Hub, iMessage, iBooks, camera, radar app, sky watch app and any other fun cruise apps.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like AT&T's go-phone $45 & $65 plans include international roaming, calls, texts and data in Mexico and Canada. My son has one of these plans so I'm hoping to use this while in port for his friend that is going with us to contact his parents. May be something to look into!

All this talk about cell phones. I remember when a cell phone was used to talk to people and texting was used to send quick messages. Being off the grid, was simply being away from your house on vacation. People did survive this troubling times. Like how in the world would you find out if Uncle John died? (poster said this). Or if you feel comfortable enough to have Grandma baby sit, but must call a couple of times a day. Didn't happen, and kids survived.

But today, people don't have a cell phone, they have a smart phone, and honestly, it is a tool, used to combine so many items in your life, into one simple unit. Why carry a map when you have google maps? Camera? no problem. Need to translate something, ask for directions in another language? No problem. Maybe keep up with the local news? Is this a problem? You want to buy something, great, iPay to the rescue.

When I'm on vacation, I'm off the grid, but I still carry my iPhone with me, and use it daily. It is the swiss army knife of technology. For the record, I barely use it to talk. It's just another tool.

I worry about roaming and all of that ...but at 1.99 a minute it's the easiest thing to call home for a few minutes each day to check in...I budget about 10 bucks a day so I can call for a few minutes in the morning and a few at night to check in. Much easier than worrying about roaming and plans...I do have international calling ( Verizon) but would only use in a dire emergency!