Does Anyone know when Century is to be Stretched!!

jezzdogg

When we were on the Summit last year in July, the restaurant Manager, who we had been on previous cruises with, told us that in app. 2 years that Century was defintely going to be stretched to add an alternative restaurant ( ala Normandy) , and other public room and some cabins, so that she would app. the same size as her sister M class. If successful plans could inclue Mercury and Galaxy. He told us he had seen some of the plans-- Has anyone heard anything about this-- is she scheduled for drydock in 2005??

norm

Yikes icon_eek.gificon_frown.gif no no no...please no....

Century is perfect the way she is.....tell me this is just another rumor.

I was told by one of the Head Bar Managers on Mercury (in March) that there were discussions for what you have said, but he was told it was a no-go...that she isn't being stretched.

I hope he is correct. I hope they leave her as is...the perfect ship to me.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

I talked to the Captains Club today and the Century is going into drydock on April 30, 2005, but only for a two-week period. I was told it was for refurbishing carpeting, draperies and bed spreads, where necessary, and nothing more extensive. I guess they have realized that the Century is a great ship just as it is and stretching it would just annoy its loyal following.

Carol

We were on the Century in November and the rumors were rampant. We were told by several staffers that it was just rumor and that they had no immediate plans to stretch her. I hope that they leave her size as is, she's just fine. The refreshing will be welcomed.

I'm with Lois on this one, Century is a beautiful ship and the perfect size just as she is. I would absolutely hate to see her stretched!

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess - 3/05

Valor - 10/05

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

Hi Terriicon_smile.gif I hope everyone on this weeks sailing is having a wonderful time icon_biggrin.gif

You will be on her the same week I am on the Horizon.....I am sure you will be finding out more current information then too icon_wink.gif.

I am all for "refreshing her interiors," but please don't strech her. I love the sense of intimacy on that ship. She is a jewel as is!

Galaxy 5/23/05~~honeymoon!

Century 5/24/03

Majesty of the Seas 6/3/02

Chandris Victoria Summer 1984

SS Poseidon: New Year's Eve 1972 (haha)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;5;23;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500 till I cruise for my honeymoon!!

When we were on the Century in December 2003, our waiter told us the following. He said Celebrity had plans to stretch this ship so it could have specialty restaurants, etc. However, it was determined that the structural integrity of the Century would be compromised if it was stretched so Celebrity decided not to do so.

"Leonardo da Vinci" to West Indies, March 1976

"Sovereign of the Seas" to Bahamas, December 1999

"Destiny" to Canada, August 2000

"Infinity" to Alaska, August 2001

"Millennium" to Eastern Carribean, December 2002

"Century" to Western Carribean, December 2003

"Mercury" to Mexican Riviera, January/February 2005

Hi BrigdeMavenicon_smile.gif Never heard a word about it...and I was on her a month after you icon_eek.gif

Not sure how a specialty restaurant could be added without the structure being changed.

Also, I always wonder how the waiters find out about these things. Not doubting what you were told mind you, just wonder how the wait staff knows what is true and and what is rumor.

First, while it's nice to speculate, generally your waiter will not be in on the latest corporate planning. If the Captain or Hotel Manager tells you something, I'd be more likely to believe it. If the waiter or cabin steward tells you something, it's probably just an internal rumor which, like any other rumor, may or may not be true.

At any rate from what I've heard (not from a waiter or cabin steward but from someone who knows a lot of people inside Celebrity and generally knows what's going on), the plans have been scrapped, or at least postponed indefinitely. I have no idea why, though I suspect it isn't structural integrity; I'm no naval architect but GALAXY and MERCURY are basically stretched versions of CENTURY. It seems to me more likely that they simply decided against spending the money. As for whether a specialty restaurant will be added, I do think it would be physically possible - maybe in the Sky Room? HORIZON and ZENITH are supposedly having them added, and HAL has added them to virtually all of their ships without stretching any... So a stretch is not necessarily a prerequisite for adding something.

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Hi Doug icon_smile.gif the bearer of GREAT NEWS icon_biggrin.gif she might need drydock as some have said...carpet, etc...but (In my opinion)she is PERFECT....size and style icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again for the educated update icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

The plans may have been dropped since we were on Summit last year, but this WAS told to us by a reliable person on the ship. As for me I would have welcome the stretching of her. Diffferent strokes for different folks

norm

Hi Lois - I'm so looking forward to our cruise in September. One day I"m going to try another Celebrity ship, but for now it's back to Century for me. I don't care why they decided not to stretch her, I'm just glad they're not going to. I'm wanting to book her for next year, but the prices aren't out yet. Probably go in September again since I'm taking my daughter and son in law and I'll have to get two cabins. Prices are generally pretty good at that time.

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess - 3/05

Valor - 10/05

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

Archived