Cash on room card

8228gl

Hi,

Firstly I apologise if this has already been asked. We are due on the Norwegian star on the 11/06/17.

As this will be our first ever cruise I am slightly confused regarding putting cash on our room card.

We don't want to give a credit card upon embarkation and instead if we elect to buy anything on the ship we would like to pay cash.

I know that you can't buy anything using cash, but am I right in saying that as everything is priced in US dollars then we need to arrive with dollars and have them put on our room card.

If we haven't spent all the money on our room card do we get it back as dollars or pounds as we are in the UK.

You can probably arrive with either dollars or pounds, but I would recommend dollars. You will most likely be refunded in dollars. A credit card is really the easiest way to manage it. Whether you use cash or a credit card, you have to give someone some money at some point. Whatever you do, do NOT use a debit card!

No matter where the ship departs from or arrives to, the currency on all NCL ships is US dollar so you'd get dollars back too. You can exchange dollars to pounds onboard but the fees are really, really high (fixed fee per transaction combined with very bad fx rates).

If you have not done so, prepay your gratuities through MyNCL. Otherwise, they will get added to your onboard account daily, and you don't want to have to go to Customer Service every day to cover the charge (now $13.99 pp pd).