Confusion in the air

LabloverinCa

This will be our first cruise where we have needed to fly somewhere before leaving the dock (Orange County to Houston). The times and destinations we have to deal with before arriving at our point of departure for the cruise are rather interesting. I was wondering if most people book their air fare on their own or thru the cruise package ? Seems like we were charged a lot for the plane tickets, have to leave at the crack of dawn, have LONG layovers and even fly the opposite direction than we are headed for part of the trip !

The one time we booked through the cruiseline was back in '94. When I opened the package from the TA, I got on the phone to my bf (now hubby) and was telling him the info when I realized we were booked on a red eye flight and would be getting into Miami in the am. As Carnival's brochure said, we should have a hotel room. I guess it would save them money if people had a hotel room for just a few hours before the shuttle to the port as opposed to for the night. I got on the phone to the TA and demanded that we get a flight that would get us in Miami the night before.

From that time on, we booked our own travel. That way, we can control which airlines and flight (or in the last case, train) and arrival time.

It really depends on where you are flying from and where you are going. From my area, cruise air is usually less expensive than if I booked on my own and they don't have a lot of choices of flights to put us on, so they don't have a big chance of screwing up. I say usually because for my upcoming cruise out of Galveston I was able to find less expensive airfare on Southwest, but that is the first time that has happened for me - you can't get from Little Rock to Ft. Lauderdale on Southwest. From where you are coming from, you probably have a lot more flight options and might be able to find something a lot better on your own.

I think your best bet is to look around. Unless you are certain you can get less expensive fares AND better flights, book first with cruise air. Then search for better flights and less costly fares. If you find them before final payment, then cancel the cruise air (make sure to cancel it before final payment is due). If you don't you can usually (but not always) pay a small deviation fee and choose your own flights, even through cruise air. It does depend on your cruise line though.

We always book our own air. Only exception would be a transatlantic one way which would be less expensive probably with the cruise line. You should probably be able to get good flights on your own out of John Wayne to Houston probably non stop, if it is possible to cancel the cruise air you might check out your own airfare and see how it works out for you. Just don't cancel your air till you have a confirmation for new tickets :) Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Cori

Thanks for the ideas. Next time (it's too late now, we leave in two weeks) I will be sure to check around for better, less expensive flights. It just seemed strange to me that we are flying from Houston all the way to Atlanta when we want to go California to get home after the cruise !

Although you give up some things if you take the cruise line's air travel arrangements (like control over flights, times, etc.), you gain other things. One which is important for many people is that the cruise line takes the risk of making alternative arrangements if there is a major problem with your flights. If you organised your own air travel, you'd assume the risk of something going wrong - and many people therefore fly in the day before to minimise the risk. So it's a case of swings and roundabouts.

If you're not on a non-stop flight, you have to change aircraft somewhere. In that case, the point at which you change is dictated more by the operational patterns of the airline you've been put on than the logical sense of the route. If you're changing in Atlanta, the chances are that you're flying Delta, whose base and biggest hub is Atlanta. Not for nothing is it sometimes said that even if you were going to Hell, you'd still have to change in Atlanta ...

Regardless of who assumes the risk, I would still fly a day ahead. Even if the cruise line is going to be responsible to catch me up to the ship because the flights they booked me on screwed up, I don't want that hassle. I booked a cruise for x number of days, and the first few days of that are not going to be spent sitting around wherever waiting for them to get me to the next port of call to meet the ship.

I still haven't found out anything definitve about what the cruise line's obligations are to you in that situation. Do they fly you on the next available flight to that port and put you up in a resort there, and pay for meals etc, or do they stick you in a Comfort Inn at Miami Airport and say "OK, your flight leaves on Tueday morning for St Maarten. Enjoy the next few days here".

Going the day ahead obviously first and foremost is to make sure I make it to the ship in time. It also allows some time for any luggage errors to get fixed. My inlaws cruised last month, and they were booked to fly out of Toronto 5 hours before the cruise left Miami. One of their suitcases got caught on a conveyor in Toronto, and destroyed. So, they show up in Miami with 2 hours to sailaway with no luggage. The remnants of their suitcase met them in Jamaica 3 days later.

But the biggest benefit to me is to get the travel out of the way so we can board the ship at a decent time, and be relaxed and ready for vacation. Our first cruise, we flew the day of. So, we drive to Toronto the night before. Set the wake-up call for 4am to be at the airport by 530 when US Immigration opens for our 7am flight. Land in FLL at 10. Because we are part of a group, they decide we should go to a mall downtown to kill a few hours, since it's too early to board. They finally take us to the ship at 1. Many people in our group go take a nap. We are too excited, but man were we whipped by the time dinner was over. No more of that if I can help it. I much prefer flying down on an afternoon flight, having the evening in the port city, and getting a good night's sleep. Then a leisurly breakfast and off to the ship.

We have always done our own air. If we had to make connections to where we are going we fly out the day prior and stay at a hotel (never can tell if those will make it or get stuck someplace). If its on a non stop to where it is and we can make it in at least 5 hours before needing to be at the port we leave that day. (not much can happen on the non stops to mess you up unless they only have one flight a day to there and it breaks down--in this case day prior again). Never take a chance on anything going smooth. Always found the cruise lines change way more for the same flights so we alwasy do our own.

The thing is you are taking it into your hands if something happens, where as if they do your stuff they ahve to help get you to the chip if something happens. Just something to think about before doing your own air.

Hi. We booked our own flights because (1 we are arriving in Galveston 4 nights early to take in sights and 2) I had air miles. I, however, would not book flights with cruiseline because of not having choice of times, layovers, etc. Guess I am kind of a control freak like that - same reason I am pouring over excursion boards about best rates, etc.

christine

Archived