Train First or Second for Skagway Yukon Tour?

FamilyAdventurers09

Hi, Everyone!

My family and I are first time cruisers heading to AK this summer on The Disney Wonder. We are so very excited to see what cruising is all about.

I've put a lot of research into our excursions, but have a question about the Skagway Yukon rail/bus tour we're booking through Chilkoot. There are options to ride the train first, then make the return trip by van, or vice versa. My question? Are there any pros/cons I'm not seeing to either option besides departure time? Is fog an issue earlier, so views from the train might be impaired? Our ship shows an arrival time of 7:15, with Chilkoot wanting us to meet them at 7:20 for the train first tour. Tight window, but from what I've read, the ships usually let passengers off starting around 7?

Thank you so much for any insight you can provide!

I've been to Skagway twice..... both cases the weather was clearer in the afternoon. Glad I was on the late afternoon train.

Another idea.... why not call Chilkoot.... they may be able to share which has better weather in the morning vs afternoon.

This might sound silly. But we went train first and bus return on the basis that the WOW factor would be better from the train. So seeing it first from a train would be better.

Also, we have booked the 12/1pm train. Hopefully quieter as I think the cruise booked passengers will be on the early train.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm doing the train/van combo on my cruise next month. I'm doing the van portion first, as recommended by Chilkoot. I would strongly recommend that you contact them. Even though your disembarkment time may be 8:15 AM, it could take you 20 minutes or more to get off of the ship if there is a line of guests waiting to do the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been to Skagway three times over the years, all mid June. I personally prefer the train ride up the mountain versus down. As previously mentioned, the WOW factor seems better going uphill.

I ride in the last car so that i can get on the rear platform for photos looking down the canyon towards the water. I have had better luck with am weather than pm, clear in the morning with afternoon cumulus clouds. Others are experiencing the opposite, so clearly there are no guarantees. Have a great time.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Forums mobile app

We are leaving in two weeks on the Pearl for Alaska. I originally booked the 8:30 a.m. tour (train first) and then after researching further decided to switch to the 7:30 a.m. tour (bus first) for exactly the reason you mentioned.....fog. Chilkoot assured me that we would be fine with the tight time frame. They won't leave without you!

It is a myth of only "fog in the morning". I have had it in the afternoon as well. IF there is fog in the morning, then your journey is going to impacted no matter how you travel White Pass. I have experienced this multiple times. No way to predict. I instead suggest, schedule where it fits your time best. With an afternoon train- then your road trip is going to be on a tighter schedule- a disadvantage, as example, if there is a lot of wildlife along the way. I've had one trip where bears were seen three different times, as example, I was driving, (rare, yes, but, I have seen bears multiple times and always enjoy spotting the mountain goats at the "Yukon" sign),

It is a myth of only "fog in the morning". I have had it in the afternoon as well. IF there is fog in the morning, then your journey is going to impacted no matter how you travel White Pass. I have experienced this multiple times. No way to predict. I instead suggest, schedule where it fits your time best. With an afternoon train- then your road trip is going to be on a tighter schedule- a disadvantage, as example, if there is a lot of wildlife along the way. I've had one trip where bears were seen three different times, as example, I was driving, (rare, yes, but, I have seen bears multiple times and always enjoy spotting the mountain goats at the "Yukon" sign),

Thank you so much! Excellent points!

We are leaving in two weeks on the Pearl for Alaska. I originally booked the 8:30 a.m. tour (train first) and then after researching further decided to switch to the 7:30 a.m. tour (bus first) for exactly the reason you mentioned.....fog. Chilkoot assured me that we would be fine with the tight time frame. They won't leave without you!

Thanks so much! Have a great adventure!

I've been to Skagway twice..... both cases the weather was clearer in the afternoon. Glad I was on the late afternoon train.

Another idea.... why not call Chilkoot.... they may be able to share which has better weather in the morning vs afternoon.

Great advice! I contacted them to get their input!

I've been to Skagway three times over the years, all mid June. I personally prefer the train ride up the mountain versus down. As previously mentioned, the WOW factor seems better going uphill.

I ride in the last car so that i can get on the rear platform for photos looking down the canyon towards the water. I have had better luck with am weather than pm, clear in the morning with afternoon cumulus clouds. Others are experiencing the opposite, so clearly there are no guarantees. Have a great time.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much! I can totally understand that wow factor heading up!

This might sound silly. But we went train first and bus return on the basis that the WOW factor would be better from the train. So seeing it first from a train would be better.

Also, we have booked the 12/1pm train. Hopefully quieter as I think the cruise booked passengers will be on the early train.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not silly at all! That makes total sense. Thanks for your input!

We did the train first at the end of last June through Chillkoot and the weather was perfect. Really no way to predict, but going up was amazing and I would not hesitate to do it again that way. I have pics if you want to check out my trip review, the link is below in my signature.