What does a Man need to pack, Memorial weekend

Baddabing

Most packing posts have been for women. What does a man need to dress Memorial weekend going to Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka and Ketchikan. For dinning long or short sleeves? Polo or button down shirts? I'm coming from Florida would i use a pair of shorts? Dress shoes, sneakers and waterproof hiking shoes or boots for Juneau going whale watching, Mendenhall Glacier excursion and Salmon bake . Cruise starts 5/27 out of Seattle for 7 days. I have waterproof she'll jacket, a fleece hoodie, under armour long sleeves and T-shirts. I was also considering bringing 1 suit for the gala nights

Unless you are a very cold-weather-adjusted Floridian, leave the shorts at home. Long sleeved shirts across the board for me - whether it's cold or sunny they're better than short (even when cold there's a chance of sunburn due to all the water and ice around). Despite walking to the pier so luggage isn't an issue I've downsized from full highland regalia to a suit to a sport coat and now just to a tie on formal nights, with a nice shirt and a pair of khakis, on Alaskan cruises.

I'd say that even now I'm comfortably in the middle of the pack for 'best-dressed' - the proportion of guys who go up to a tux or even a suit is definitely lower than warm-water cruises, with IMO Joe Average in a sport coat and slacks rather than a suit even on formal night, and regular evenings there are plenty of people in a sweater/button-down/polo and jeans (Princess - NCL runs even less formal).

Sounds like your layering for warmth is pretty sensible already - but I'd add a pair of longjohns, a beanie/toque, scarf and gloves. If you're on deck watching glaciers with the wind whistling up your pants legs you'll be very glad of an extra layer, and extremities will be the first bits to notice the chill. All of these roll up really small and are cheaply acquired.

I'm a Florida native transplanted to Wyoming. I agree with Martin, your chances of having a need for shorts in May is really, really small. (My kids will probably be in shorts, but here, 60 is bikini weather.) I also suspect Martin is right that you will find less need for T-shirts and more need for long-sleeved, warmer shirts. At least bring a couple of long-sleeved flannel shirts that you can wear over the T-shirts (layering again).

It also depends on how cold-tolerant you are. My SIL lives in Houston, and even there she has to run a little foot heater in her office sometimes. She is bringing multiples of everything warm and may be layered up like a hoagie sandwich. lol

Most packing posts have been for women. What does a man need to dress Memorial weekend going to Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka and Ketchikan. For dinning long or short sleeves? Polo or button down shirts? I'm coming from Florida would i use a pair of shorts? Dress shoes, sneakers and waterproof hiking shoes or boots for Juneau going whale watching, Mendenhall Glacier excursion and Salmon bake . Cruise starts 5/27 out of Seattle for 7 days. I have waterproof she'll jacket, a fleece hoodie, under armour long sleeves and T-shirts. I was also considering bringing 1 suit for the gala nights

What you listed sounds fine. Take a few pair of your favorite pants and you'll be all set. If I were you I'd take some shorts too - you never know when you'll be able to wear them but you most likely will. In Ketchikan we did the zipline and it was a very nice and almost warm day (almost 80, I think - mid-May) - I wore shorts & t-shirt. I don't think I took my jacket (rain) but I may have left it locked with my other things I couldn't take on the zipline. I had a pair of waterproof shoes on most days but zipline day I wore my regular sneakers. I'm personally hot natured and I didn't like hauling around a lot of extra stuff "just in case", but that is just me - it would have to be pretty darn cold (below 30) for me to get too excited. I had an umbrella in my bag with some camera equipment and wore my fleece jacket most days - no problems. I always wear a ballcap so my head was covered. I know it can all be unpredictable but, unless you're hiking far from everything, you're never too far from someplace to duck into if it's too cold or too wet or both.

Good Luck!

May is my favorite time in Alaska on Holland America so my packing list is well established. Note that I pack clothing for three days and use the $49/week unlimited laundry service. The luggage space you save can be used for souvenirs from Tongass Trading Company in Ketchikan.

Sport jacket for Gala Nights (leave dress shoes and suit at home), two polo shirts for Gala Nights, Under Armour Basic 1.0 lightweight long underwear (for high speed whale-watching and dog sledding excursions), full-zip fleece (really cheap now online), HAL slippers, two long-sleeved shirts (shirts), two pair convertible pants, gloves, sweatshirt, hat, rain poncho, hiking shoes (2 pair) (no need for hiking boots unless going off trail), small backpack for excursions to carry removed clothing layers, water, snacks, ran poncho), pajamas, socks, and underwear.

I wear my sport jacket to dinner every evening and could leave it at home since Gala Night requires only a collared shirt (polo is fine). Convertible pants can become shorts if the weather permits. Bring a bathing suit if you want to swim or use the free hot tubs.

May is my favorite time in Alaska on Holland America so my packing list is well established.

Sport jacket for Gala Nights (leave dress shoes and suit at home), two polo shirts for Gala Nights,

I wear my sport jacket to dinner every evening and could leave it at home since Gala Night requires only a collared shirt (polo is fine). .

What type pf shoes if you don't bring dress shoes? Do you bring a tie?

Thanks everyone for all the info so far.

What type pf shoes if you don't bring dress shoes? Do you bring a tie?

Thanks everyone for all the info so far.

Since my feet cannot tolerate dress shoes for long periods, I wear my hiking shoes (Merrell MOAB - my backup nearly new ones) on Gala Night and have for years. You will see sneakers worn with suits by some. A tie is in my luggage but I usually don't wear it. So my Gala Night attire is slacks, shirt, sport jacket, and hiking shoes.

I made a special effort, as well as asked my MDR waiters for their input, as to male attire in the MDR. At early fixed dining, we counted 12 tuxedos, about 20% suits, another 30% sport jackets, and half with just collared shirts. From my observation, many suit wearers change them immediately after dinner but the tux wearers hold out the entire evening. I must add that I have never seen a suit/tux in the movie theater on Gala Nights.

Ok, shorts are no longer being packed. When going to diner in the MDR do men wear long sleeves short sleeves or both?

Long or short sleeves are fine. If you are going outside after dinner in Alaska, long sleeves might be a good idea to avoid chilly breezes.