NCL Newbie with dining questions

Hi All, long time cruiser venturing onto NCL for the first time, 7 day on Breakaway this summer! A couple questions about dining:

1. I know "freestyle" means go when you want, but with a party of six do you suggest reservations? If so, when do they open up for dining reservations?

2. With regard to the specialty options, how is the on board availability (more likely just two people)? Or if I'm interested, should I book in advance?

3. If I book specialty dining in advance and decide to cancel, what's the deal with the prepaid fee? Or, now that I think of it, are the specialty dining options flat fee or a-la-carte?

So many questions!!!!

We are a family of 7, have never made reservations in the MDR's, but it depends on when you want to eat, you might have to wait at popular times.

Definitely make specialty restaurant reservations in advance, so many people have the free promotion. If it's not a la carte, you will have to pay in advance.

I wouldn't bother with reservations for MDR's. Travelled with a party of ten twice and never waited longer than 20 mins for a MDR table

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you have the dining package then you don't need to pay upfront for the fixed fee restaurants (as long as you make sure that's one of the first ones you book).

There is no upfront charge for the a la carte restaurants.

Hi All, long time cruiser venturing onto NCL for the first time, 7 day on Breakaway this summer! A couple questions about dining:

1. I know "freestyle" means go when you want, but with a party of six do you suggest reservations? If so, when do they open up for dining reservations?

2. With regard to the specialty options, how is the on board availability (more likely just two people)? Or if I'm interested, should I book in advance?

3. If I book specialty dining in advance and decide to cancel, what's the deal with the prepaid fee? Or, now that I think of it, are the specialty dining options flat fee or a-la-carte?

So many questions!!!!

Flat fee versus a-la-carte: Teppanyaki and Moderno are flat fee. Whether you use the dining package or not. Le Bistro, Sushi, Cagney's and La Cucina are a-la-carte. But if you are using the dining package for them (and don't order two entrees each or something), it just counts as a meal against the dining package.

In advance and cancel: I prepaid at Moderno on my last cruise (4/17) and was refunded the money as a cruise credit when I changed the dinner. It wasn't an issue.

I have control issues :), so I like to book everything in advance. I think the "party line" is that reservations open for booking 90 days in advance of sailing for Haven folks, and 60 days for us lesser folks. I have found inconsistencies in that (opening later than my understanding) but somehow have dealt with it.

My opinion, not that you asked, is that Cagney's and Le Bistro are always pretty super. Teppanyaki is fun and the food is good. Being a glutton, Moderno is a pretty good place for me. I haven't been in the main dining rooms for quite a while after some mediocre experiences there...Garden Cafe (buffet) hasn't let me down.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Mike D.

I would agree with not bothering with reservations. I never do and I've never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes (only at peak times!)

I have written about my experiences with NCL's freestyle dining here, I won't bore you all by writing it out again but I do hope that this helps! http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2017/01/18/ncls-freestyle-dining-explained/

Cruise ship dining can be confusing and a little over whelming when you try a new cruise line, but NCL is definitely the most 'like land'. You shouldn't have any problems at all :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have control issues :), so I like to book everything in advance. I think the "party line" is that reservations open for booking 90 days in advance of sailing for Haven folks, and 60 days for us lesser folks. I have found inconsistencies in that (opening later than my understanding) but somehow have dealt with it.

You've got your numbers off. It's 100 days for Haven and 90 days for the rest of us. I haven't sailed in Haven, but on each NCL sailing, I've been able to book specialty restaurants at 9:00 p.m. Pacific time on day 91. Every time. :D

For suites guest, 100 days prior to sailing. 90 days for all other guests. It never hurts to have reservations for the MDR. You must have reservations for any specialty dining rooms. For best times, book EXACTLY 90 days before your cruise.

Popular restaurants will sell out of prime time dining reservations quickly. Teppanyaki is the most popular. Cagney's the second.

Most restaurant are a la carte with no booking fees. Teppanyaki, Monderno, entertainment-based dinner shows are all flat fees that you pay in advance. They convert to On Board Credit if you cancel, in advance, on the ship. You can cancel prior to sailing for a refund.

So many questions!!!!

Enjoy free style cursing in the MDR. Never have to rush to make an assigned dining time. You can go to a steak house or Japanese BBQ any time back home. No real reason to spend extra money on the ship.

Enjoy free style cursing in the MDR. Never have to rush to make an assigned dining time. You can go to a steak house or Japanese BBQ any time back home. No real reason to spend extra money on the ship.

Conversely, I have not eaten in an MDR since a terrible experience on the Spirit years ago. I get the specialties as a perk and enjoy them very much. I also do a few nights in the buffet or o'Sheehan's for lighter meals. Everyone has their own preference. I don't go on vacation to save money.

Conversely, I have not eaten in an MDR since a terrible experience on the Spirit years ago. I get the specialties as a perk and enjoy them very much. I also do a few nights in the buffet or o'Sheehan's for lighter meals. Everyone has their own preference. I don't go on vacation to save money.

Is that not a bit short sighted, you have one bad experience so you avoid all MDR's on all ships forever?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just returned from the breakaway and they require reservations for the MDR for large parties over 6-8. I myself and other small parties had long waits (20-40 min)! Maybe it was due to the last night but even during the week large parties needed reservations. I ate at Moderno, Tepp and Ocean Blue to experience it this time. I even adjusted my plan from a three to four dining on the same night to enjoy another one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk