MdDS New Zealand

Hi I'm new to Cruise Critic and i am a MdDS sufferer for 14 months. I have it 24/7 and chronic. I can't scroll thru other posts as this makes me very sick. I have come onto this site to see if i can make contact with anyone else in New Zealand who also suffers with this. My hospital and GP have never heard of this and i'm at my wits end trying to find help in NZ. I feel like i'm on my own and would like to meet up or converse with other New Zealanders. Thanks

I recall there was a discussion on this a while back so I searched the thread for you. Here it is: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2288150&highlight=mal+de+debarquement

I hope you are able to get the help you need.

This might be useful too. http://www.nzord.org.nz/support_groups

There is a support group in NZ and the contact details are listed there.

Thanks OzKiwiJJ, i read thru the thread you sent me but unfortunately its not quite what i'm after. I'm looking for people who have had this syndrome for a long time. I have had it continually for over a year and it hasn't abated at anytime and recently it has worsened without any travelling. I have read that if you have it for 12 months you have it for life. My doctor can't help me any more and i feel like i am on my own to deal with this and would love to meet up or correspond with someone in New Zealand who has had it long term as myself. There is no cure or medication i can take and would like to know how other long term sufferers are dealing with this. Cheers

That's probably the most comprehensive info that I've seen posted here on MdDS in the past three years, so I suspect you won't find anyone here that has been affected the same way you have.

Try contacting the support group in the second link I posted. There's an email address and a Palmerston North postal address. Hopefully they will be able to put you in touch with others.

My bad i should have said i had contacted the support group over 10 months ago and the lady was unable to help me as she was extremely ill with the syndrome at the time and said there wasn't any info she could give me that i didn't already know. I will contact them again encase the situation has changed. Thanks for your input will now look at other possible forums. Cheers

Thanks OzKiwiJJ, i read thru the thread you sent me but unfortunately its not quite what i'm after. I'm looking for people who have had this syndrome for a long time. I have had it continually for over a year and it hasn't abated at anytime and recently it has worsened without any travelling. I have read that if you have it for 12 months you have it for life. My doctor can't help me any more and i feel like i am on my own to deal with this and would love to meet up or correspond with someone in New Zealand who has had it long term as myself. There is no cure or medication i can take and would like to know how other long term sufferers are dealing with this. Cheers

As I am not in NZ, I hope you don't mind me replying to your post.

So far, we have been on 5 cruises with No. 6 coming up in August. I experienced this after the 1st one, but it only lasted 3 weeks. The subsequent cruises were not too bad, until the last one, to NZ. That was 16 months ago and I still have the rocking motion. I have had physiotherapy for this, but it still stays with me. There was some problem with the vestibular function in my left ear, after undergoing a series of tests.My GP doesn't have any answers either, except to say the next cruise will probably make it worse,or no better, but I am prepared to take the risk. Apparently flying causes the same affects.

I feel for you and know what you are experiencing.

Luckily mine does not include nausea or spinning, as Vertigo sufferers experience.

I'm happy to keep in touch with you, but not sure if I should put my email address on here.

Kerry

My bad i should have said i had contacted the support group over 10 months ago and the lady was unable to help me as she was extremely ill with the syndrome at the time and said there wasn't any info she could give me that i didn't already know. I will contact them again encase the situation has changed. Thanks for your input will now look at other possible forums. Cheers

You might like to post on the Ask a Cruise Question forum, which tends to be read by more CC members all over the world. There may be someone in the US or elsewhere that is having similar issues.