Anyone have packing down to a manageable science?

Aliann

Okay, I've always said one of these days I'm going to have my packing down to a manageable science... hasn't happened yet. You know, the one suitcase with enough clothes for the week and more, the shoes, the toiletries, etc. etc. etc. - why do I always feel I need a tractor trailer to haul my STUFF. All my electronic chargers, camera stuff, underwater camera, film takes up one suitcase alone.

Anyone have a list? And not one with the duct tape and kitchen sink, just a week's worth of stuff and you look great to boot. I always just seem to have an over abundance of STUFF that's out of control.

Imagine me, packing for myself and my 5 children (my husband packs his own stuff). We travel alot and frequently so #1 - have to pack light; #2 - have to do it quickly. So for cruising, I have found that sticking to no-iron, basic colors (I stick to black, white and cream) work for me. So, for a 1-week cruise let's say, 2 pairs of shorts: my Old Navy light khaki shorts and my jean shorts. My black capris. My white flare-leg boat pants. This pair of black crepe flared-leg pants that I can wear every night with a different top. Then a Gap print skirt. Then as for tops, a black boat-neck short sleeved T-shirt and the identical one in white, a sleeveless black top and the same in white (can be dressed up or down); several fancy evening tops. Once gown. Matching bag and sandals. Then my flat sandals and my sneakers. A swetashirt jacket or everyday sweater. A fancy sweater. What else... pj's, lingerie. A belt. Umm.... my toiletries. I don't know, I have it down to a science. If I can't dress something up or down or if it can't go with everything, I don't pack it. My jewelry makes the same day outfit a night outfit. Does this help? Maybe it doesn't. I leave today for a cruise and it took me 2 hourts to pack 6 people. And we only have 3 small roller-type bags between the 6 of us. Have fun! OH - and whatever you put on your bed before it goes in your suitcase-- take half of it and put it back in your closet.

It sounds like I'll have to do a practice one on this one. I have all those things in my closet, I'm going to try them on, get my outfits, pack and leave my suitcase set.

2 hours to pack 6 people? It takes me 6 months to pack for 2 people. Actually, did do a quick trip once when I didn't have time to pack, just grabbed a suitcase from a previous trip I hadn't unpacked from and rushed to the airport. Got to destination and had no undies! Thank God for mega discount stores and I didn't have to spend $30.00 a pair from some small tourist boutique.

Yes, your post helped and I'm seriously going to be taking all the notes I can and coming up with my 'travel' suitcase.

Have fun! So jealous you leave today!

I pack the suitcase, we are a cabin of four including a 2 year old and 5 year old....wait a couple of days and then take about 1/2 or 1/3 out. Gone are the days when I had an entire bag devoted to shoes.

Norwegian Dawn was the best for our situation as both times we had cabins right outside the free laundry room.

ok you are going to laugh, but this works for me. First of all I draw my cartoon drawings of my clothes that I want to take. I keep this in my handbag so when I go shopping for the clothes for the trip, I have it handy. They might look silly, but I know which pieces of clothes they represent. I even corlor themn in. Once I have my wardrobe & the new pieces I bought to go in it, I lay them out on my bed and even have the shoes and accessories out. Now I make decisions on what I need to take and what doesn't really have to go. I also make a day by day schedule of what I will be doing and see how it fits into the wardrobe. For example, Saturday--board the ship, need clothes for dinner, pjs to sleep in. Ok, now that I have my schedule worked out, I write down which pieces in my wardrobe I will wear each day and call them outfit 1, 2, 3, etc. with optional changes to become a different outfit. Ok, once I know exactly what I'm taking, I put the clothes in space bags that roll the air out. If you pack carefully your clothes came come out "pressed" and not wrinkled. We fly a lot here lately and space is at a premium. Our carry on bag has one outfit in it each.

Instead of packing a bunch of tops & short,etc. I plan out each day's outfit.

Morning outfit for the day. What I'll wear to dinner that night, for each day of the cruise. (mix & match when possible).

Then I pack my bathing suits & cover ups & beach sandles.

Then my shoes, sneakers, 1 pr fat sandles for day time, high sandles for night time. (maybe two pairs, I like shoes! . . if it fits in the suitcase I'm taking anyway, I bring it!)

Then I always make sure I have a sweater for the evenings, and a light zip sweatshirt for daytime. Even in the summer, air conditioning is cold.

Don't forget your underthings!! And socks! Nylons if you wear them.

I pack two work out outfits.

I try to keep my toiletries small & simple in one of those bags sold for that purpose.

Dressy dress for formal night, 2 if 7 day cruise.

I wear very little jewelry, but what I wear is usually it for the whole cruise, day to night.

I ususally end up with one regular size rolling bag that I check, and one small carry on roller bag that I keep with me on the plane. My pocketbook is always tiny, and fits inside of my larger "pocketbook" carry on.(or backpack). I try to put one bathing suit, and one short set, and one pr of capries for dinner in the carry on, just in case my suitcase doesn't make the ship! Also, I take my hair dryer & brushes in that bag. Toiletries I don't worry about, you can always get those on the ship in an emergency.

The luggage isn't too bad, 2 suitcases & a backpack, and I have everything I need and then some.

Enjoy, and don't worry too much about it, just pack and enjoy!:)

Like others said, I plan outfits (for travel in general, even). You can do laundry midway through so that cuts suitcase space in half. I pack a good sweater, something that goes with everything, in case it's colder than anticipated.

You really only need a few pairs of shoes - a pair of nice shoes, a pair of sandals and/or water shoes, and a pair of sneakers. One of these will be on your feet when you leave (wear the pair that would take up the most room if packed), so that's only two in the luggage. Most everyone who packs more shoes than this has said they didn't end up needing or wearing most of the shoes.

For everything else, I like to make lists where I break down everything into categories, ie Electronics (camera etc), First Aid (aloe etc), beach things (snorkel & mask, etc); you get the idea. Then I can easily go through and think about what really needs to come with, and what can stay at home. Find out what is available on the ship like soap and beach towels, and don't bring those items unless you need to have your own kind. Little things add up!

First, I can't imagine those that have posted packing for so many, I applaud you, I have a hard enough time packing for me. Hubby packs his own and sometimes he's worse than I am. I am trying to get it down to a 'manageable science' because I'm always miserable dragging so much stuff to hotels, ports, etc. During past cruises, I've made a list of those things that I've worn and felt very comfortable in etc. Sometimes we can have the best new outfits, only to find when we where them for the first time on a cruise they're uncomfortable, pants ride up, shirt blows up, shirt sleeves too tight etc. - so I do have a running list of outfits that work perfectly so I can narrow it down the next time I pack.

I also find that if I take too much, it only makes it that much worse to decide what to wear because I have so many options and can't make up my mind. If I don't have so much, and stick to things that work together, will make it less time consuming to get ready.

I like the black, white, tan color scheme. Maybe a few 'fun' tops thrown in. I'll get it one day.

All the tips have been great and if we keep this thing going we'll all be happier and healthier travelers (I think I'm getting back problems from lugging all my suitcases).

I have been on a "light packing" mission for years. The first time I researched travel lists on Google, I just typed in "packing" and up popped a gazillion websites on guns! It cracked me up! I eventually found a gazillion other sites that I wanted by adding the word "travel" to my search. There are lists for everything from McGyver-like backpackers who take one bag for six months and never check anything, to the more extended long term travelers who will attend 10 formal events with the same people, thus requiring a variety of gowns or cummerbunds and charges for overweight suitcases.

Here's what I did -- I looked at the sites, did a cut and paste into one Excel spreadsheet on everything that I thought might be needed in every situation - summer/winter/water/mountain/jungle/city... I call it my "Master Travel List." From that, using the cut and paste method, I create a new list for the specific trip I'm taking. Each column lists day/date and some idea of what I will be doing that day. Each row represents an item of clothing. Even if you don't know the specific night for formal nights on cruises, you will know that there are at least 2 for a 7-day cruise and that's pretty separate from planning your daywear/sleepwear/beachware. The trick is the pre-planning, whether it's lists or pictures.

So I start with the travel days, planning the clothing that I wear to travel to my destination will be the same clothing that I will wear to return. This allows for time to launder it, if necessary. I choose dark colored, neutral bottoms in a twill and simple, solid colored tops for my travel days. My preference is a short-sleeve crew-neck t-shirt with a long-sleeve button-front shirt over it. If it's warm, you can remove the button-front shirt. If it's chilly, you can button it up. I always carry a good sized, neutral shawl or pashmina to add warmth but taking up little packing room.

The travel day pants can probably be used on 2 other days, perhaps as part of a less formal evening outfit but this is where I introduce a more colorful, maybe multi-colored print top. If the long-sleeve button-front shirt survives travel and meals, it can be used again with a different colored t-shirt later in the trip or by itself. The t-shirts can also be worn by itself if the weather permits. The new shirts with the wrinkle-free material can be washed in the sink and hung on a hanger to dry overnight. The pashmina can be a cover for evening outfits, too.

Then I add the next pair of pants, trying to alternate their use so that I avoid wearing the same pair from day into the evening (except on travel days) or consecutive days. Tops that work with neutral pants are great (red top with black, navy or khaki pants). I have one top that is red/black/camel striped. It works with my black and khaki pants and adds some color to the neutral mix. You get the idea. For really casual wear, add some neutral shorts that will work with your tops.

For one week, I now have only packed one pair of long pants as an alternate to the ones I'm wearing for travel and maybe a couple of pairs of shorts. Nice silk or satin trimmed t-shirts can be dressed up a little for evening dinners and I add a washable silk or satin shirt that can be worn over the t-shirt or by itself. I often toss in a lurex tank in gold or silver. Pack a little laundry detergent and the tops can be rinsed out and hung to dry overnight. Of course, you can always send them out, too.

These items get me through the day to casual dress evening activities. I add sneakers/walking shoes (I usually wear these to travel) for sightseeing and hanging out and a nicer, neutral casual shoe for the more informal evenings (usually with a small heel). I also like to carry a pair of lightweight sandals to serve both beach/pool and as slippers

I try to choose my formal wear so that the same purse and shoes will work with each outfit. I own black, gold and silver shoes and purse. Depending on the dresses I choose, I will only take one dress shoe and purse combination. So I may take a black dress that can be worn alone the first night. I can add to that a gold-sequined short jacket another night. The third night, I may choose to wear the gold lurex top with a pair of gold satin palazzo pants. This way, I am open to only carrying the gold shoes and purse OR the black shoes and purse. Jewelry doesn't take up that much space so I like to take a few choices there.

I always take 2 bathing suits because I don't like to put on a wet suit. I also like to take 2 caftans that coordinate with my bathing suits. I use them as swimsuit cover and sleepwear.

Once you've made your master list and planned your clothing for each event, be sure to add plenty of socks/footcovering, underwear, etc. The last week-long trip I took was to the mountains of Colorado so I needed warm clothing. I had 2 carryons and came home with 2 tops that I never wore.

There is an entire section of my list that never changes -makeup, toothbrush/toothpaste, brush/comb, medicines, etc.

Lastly, I print off my list, check each item as I pack, and take the list with me. It helps me remember what I have and how I planned to wear it. If I discover that I've forgotten something, I scribble it on the list. When I come home, I add it to my master list for the next time.

Hope this helps. After having done this for a while, these lists are pretty stable. Each trip gets easier.

I think we've found the winner who has it down to a manageable science, I vote for badell! You've certainly got it down pat and I appreciate the posting, won't take me as long to master as it did you to come up with it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just remember----use luggage on wheels! Our carry-on bag is on wheels, our big suitcase is on wheels. My husband's golf travel bag is on wheels. Don't take anything that will wear your back out. What kind of vacation will you have if your back is killing you?

The last few cruises what I do is, I lay my clothes out a few weeks ahead of time, then I start going through them and remove several outfits. Remember, you very rarely wear something for the whole day or night. Mix and match tops and bottoms.

Best thing we do is before we leave we make a list of everything we take(like 12 tops, 15 t-shirts etc)and then when we get home is make a list of everything we didn't wear. you would be surprised, how many things you didn't need to bring. Keep it for the next time.

I remember our first cruise in 1982, 7 days to Bermuda, had 5 pieces of luggage now we do 10+days with 2 pieces and a carry on.

As Captn crunch said "Take half the clothes and twice the money you think you will need":D

• 3 weeks later...

TWO WORDS...Plastic bags! When I first joined these boards, I learned this packing trick that has worked wonders! Place your clothing in plastic bags! It is amazing what you can fit into one bag. I recall 2 pairs of jeans, two pair of capris, three pair of shorts, a few tank tops and a few pairs of undies to fill into one 2 gallon press-n-seal bag! The 2-gallon size can be found at most Target stores. Use variable sizes for different things. Always bring extras, too. Press-n-seal (zipper) seals out (and keeps out) most of the air compared to ziploc bags, but they work, too. I have showed this trick to a few friends of mine and they were awed at what I packed! And as an added benefit, it does help prevent wrinkles.

Happy packing!

It is strange, but I learned the plastic bag trick years ago....during a 2 week business trip. And, yet...I didn't practice it on my first cruise.

But, I learned...and I've used it on my subsequent two cruises....

Actually, I refined it a bit and picked up some Travel version of the Space Bag.....finally a trip where I have more room in my suitcase than I did when I left.

The Dreamer.

I too learned of the plastic bag trip for my first cruise 2 years ago. I love it and still do it. It really did make a huge difference in my suitcase. Also helps if someone has to look thru your suitcase (not touching your intimates) You can also smuggle a drink or two in the middle of the clothes.

We are eight in our family. I help most of the kids pack and my dh packs himself. Last cruise, each person took one suitcase, size according to age. The girls all packed their clothes in ziplock bags and dated the bags for dates to wear what they took. It worked out fine and we are doing that again. In addition, we took one dress/suit bag and an extra bag to carry things to the beach and then used it for souvenirs on the way home. Going down, we had nine suitcases and one suitbag and coming home, eleven checked items. The plastic bags really help.

I too, plan out each days attire instead of just picking out certain things. I take one "day" outfit per day (shorts, capris, tops, whatever) a "night" outfit for dinner (pants that I try to wear with whatever shirts I've taken for the day) and then my formal wear and undergarments. I overpacked for my first cruise and since then I can honestly say that I have gotten it down to a science, if I ever take extra stuff I never use it. I usually take 2 extra tops and an extra bottom and that is it. (I'm a messy eater so you never know when you'll need to change your clothes LOL) As far as toilitries go, I take body wash and a pouf, shampoo, conditoner (full sizes) a hair dryer and my flat iron (or curling iron or whatever I'm using at the time) I also take at least a little of every kind of medicine you might need (fever reducer, cough supressant, sore throat, headache, stuffy nose, upset stomach, motion sickness) because honestly I've never been on a trip when we didn't need at least one of them. Plus all my makeup. Our cameras and books for entertainment and that is about it. My DH and I can go on a 7 night cruise and pack one large suitcase, a small one and our carry ons and have room to bring things back so I do pretty good.

Our packing is normally dictated to by the whims and wishes of Air Line, and Custom restrictions, not necessarily in that order! I advise the use of a tape messure, and the bathroom scales. Now this is scientific! john

• 3 weeks later...

I pretty much pack like several of the other posters. However, the plastic bag idea reminded me of years ago when our now 25 year old son would go to camp. He is color blind and some of the outfits he would put together - Eeeeew!!! So I would put a pair of shorts and a matching shirt in a zip lock bag for him. He had outfits for every day he was at camp each in a plastic bag. Worked great. Works great for cruising, too. TG23

Archived