Anyone have packing down to a manageable science?

Aliann

Well I have not been on my frist cruise but would like to think I know how to back. When I got married back in 2005 we went to Australia for our honeymoon we were there for 3 weeks I made it in a backpack it is actually a hiking backpack that has wheel, had a smaller bag that can be attached it actually could be carried on by the standards at that time. My husband used alittle bigger hiking backpack as well. We did do laundry halfway though but I still had all the clothes I wanted to wear and on top of everthing I only took 2 pairs of shoes the ones I wore and a pair of dressy sandals for our meals at night. Now for the cruise it is going to be slightly differnt because I have to bring 2 formals dressy clothes for dinner but thats ok it will all be in one bag and then I will have my carry on for essetials. Happy packing to everyone.

When I travel for extended periods of time, I'm pretty good at packing, but on my cruises, I don't want to rough it! I want to change 7 times a day and wear what I want when I want. I hate wearing the same things on a cruise. When I do the backpacking thing, fine, I wear the same thing 5 times, but that is not going to happen on my cruise. I'll probably get dressed for breakfast, change to go on shore, change for the time between shore and dinner, change for dinner, and change after dinner. But hey, it's my vacation adn I'm driving to the pier so I don't have airline limits to worry about!

I'm actually good at making a lot of things fit in one suitcase, I'll have just one medium bag for myself, and then take my beach bag as a carry on where I'll have a change of clothes and extra underwear just in case my suitcase disappears. But if you roll your clothes, you get more to fit in there. Underwear and bras are laid flat in the inside zip compartment, and I don't take too many socks since I usually just wear flip flops or sandals all day.

• 3 weeks later...
Now I just need to find seersucker blouses for MYSELF! Also, I need shirts with sleeves that are large enough for my bulky arms!

bjdamascus - try Roamans.com or womanwithin.com They both carry seersucker tops and blouses. Size 14 and up - I buy a lot of my clothes there. bricked - Christa

Now I just need to find seersucker blouses for MYSELF! Also, I need shirts with sleeves that are large enough for my bulky arms!

bjdamascus - try roamans.com or womanwithin.com. They both carry seersucker - tops, shorts, and pants. They carry size 14 and up. I buy a lot of my clothes from them - including seersucker!

bricked -- Christa

Badell, I share your idea of the packing list. I have a document called 'Travel/Packing List' on the computer. It starts with a check list of basic things that need to be done before you travel - Tickets, Passport, Drivers license, Make arrangements for dog, Stop mail, Paper pickup, Lawn care, etc...... Don't forget to add 'Snacks', 'Reading Material' for the car or plane ride. From there is a list of things to pack in Catagories: "Clothes", "Electronics" (camera, phone, video, chargers etc, "Misc", "Camping" and such. I make a copy for myself and one for my husband and and we work together to be sure that everything is checked off as it is packed. This list is updated each time we travel to keep it current. For example it reminds me to take binoculars when we are going on a hiking/camping trip, or a night light for the room because they are on the list. Before we pull out of the driveway we double check each other that we have tickets, pasport, and drivers licence.

It will take you a few trips to completely cover everything and develope the list according to your travel. As Badell says, jot down what you need to add for next time. Eventually, everything will be included and you can get in the car with confidence.

The other thing I could suggest is - I always keep a packed make-up bag available. This is something I can grab if I'm going for a quick last-minute overnight, or on a week's vacation. I take it out the day before (or the morning I leave), and apply my makeup from the bag. I can replace cleanser, moisturizer, add an eyebrow brush, etc. and that way I know I have everything I need. I very seldom take shampoo as most places provide it, but if I do, I only take a small travel size bottle. In fact, everything in my make-up bag is in the smallest container I can find - it's amazing what you can find from some of the 'sample' bottles or jars from the make-up counters. After I have applied my makeup that morning, and I'm ready to close my suitcase (roller bags, I agree), I check off my make-up bag on the list and throw it on top.

I keep my check list with my suitcase as I pack and before I zip it up, double check what has not been checked off (you may not have to take everything for that trip). I have to say it's been pretty fool-proof. Happy traveling!

DH and I used to travel alot for work, so I've got packing down to a science, i take exactly 3 days worth of clothes, plus extra underwear, I use the laundry service daily. I buy a couple of the j crew "beach dresses" every year and a couple of cashmere cardigans, they can be worn for for everything, shore excursions, dressed up for dinner, and they are seersucker, so they pack beautifully. each outfit is packed in "sweater bags" that I buy from walmart- they are see thru plastic on one side, with breathable mesh on the other, they have a real zipper, each bag gets its own label with name, address etc. and its own lavender sachet, this way if tsa needs to look thru my stuff, everything stays perfect and folded, unpacking is a breeze too. I have a permanently packed overnight bag for each of us, it has all of our favorite toiletries packed in zip locks, night lights, flash lights etc. the same kind of dryer, rollers, hair brushes that I would use at home, everything ready so I don't ever have to look at it, when we come home I immediately replace any used item. Shoes go in cloth shoe bags, Nothing is loose in the suitcases. One odd thing is that I usually pack way ahead, it just makes me feel better to be done several weeks ahead so that we aren't stressed before we go. And yes, I realize that I am slightly anal:D

OK...we try to pack light and mostly succeed but this time we have several extra challenges....

Cruise departs from Miami (where temps will be in 80's) but ends up in Ireland and England (temps in mid 50's likely rain). 12 nights followed by three in London. Aer Lingus flight home as severe weight restrictions...both per bag (70lb max) and total (2 bags not to total more than 80lbs together). Even the one carry-on has a 13lb limit. On top of this all DW won't be able to help haul it. If we go light enough it also opens up cheaper transportation options from port to London.

Obviously all the above tips will be very handy and we will be using many other resources. Strategies we ar thinking of so far....

1. One fair sized wheeled suitcase each plus one carry on.

2. I think I will leave the laptop at home this time. Memory cards for cameras are small & light.

3. Small, pocket sized digital cameras & smallest video cam we can find

4. As suggested above we will take as much as we can that is "ejectable" along the way.

5. Minimal books...buy & discard along the way and use ship library

6. MP3 player instead of CD player (and disks) or PSP with extra memory sticks pre-loaded with music

7. Tennis shoes for going to pool instead of sandals or flip/flops

8. Toiletries...disposable everything. Nothing comes home. Deoderant, toothpaste, shampoo, disposable razors, OTC meds, etc...

9. Sleepwear...one set (for her, me none)..shower before bed and in morning, wash sleepwear in sink if needed

10. Underwear/socks....4 days only...wash in sink as we go

11. Formal...me one suit, one shirt, 3 ties. She..one dress, one skirt, 2 tops.

12. Shoes one really cheap pair dress shoes each...disposable. Shoes are heavy. One pair tennis shoes wear most of the time.

13. One swimsuit each. Live with wet. Take oldest one if possible & dispose.

14. Several cheap pocket T-shirts & shorts for 1st 3 warm days. Use for sleeping then dispose.

15. Limit smuggled booze and carried pop/water

16. Cheap disposable coffee travel mugs &/or drink bottles

17. Very cheap lightweight disposible rain jackets to wear over one packed sweater/sweatshirt

18. Lightweight, cheap, disposible umbrella

19. One Mini-binoculars instead of two full size

20. Disposable hats/sun visors

21. One cell phone instead of both (the lightest one). Fully charged & no charger. Turned off except for emergency.

22. Charger and just enough rechargable AA batteries. Buy disposable as needed.

This leaves the rest of the clothing. Lightweight and interchangable. Especially limit jeans. Re-wear, mix, wash up, laundry...try to keep it to 4 of each item and stretch for 7 days. I think we can probably squeek under the limits if wife decides not to bring that sink.

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies:

For a 7 day Caribbean itinerary

I've gotten mine down to one 22" rollaboard and a smaller overnighter (I promise) :) plus a large totebag/beachbag which I carry aboard)

Here's what i do - Bring things that do double duty, make sure everything goes together, and stick with things that don't wrinkle easily.

Here's a typical list for me:

2 multicolored "broomstick" skirts (twist and tie for packing)

2 pairs solid-color capris (white, denim, or khaki)) - (roll or interfold for packing)

Several tank tops/ fitted tees to match the colors in the skirts - they take up little room so you can bring several (I have found that the rib knit does not wrinkle as much as the flat knit) (Roll for packing)

A couple of short sleeve button-down shirts (camp shirts) in solid colors that will match with the skirts (to wear over tanks with skirts or capris) - i usually bring an eyelet one and one other (interfold for packing )

White lightweight cotton sweater

2 or 3 bathing suits (I like to always have a dry one)

2 or 3 oversize T-shirts (Do double duty as bathing suit coverups and sleepwear)

Beige/nude panties (I bring a lot - You can stuff them anywhere) and bras (2 or 3) ; Black panties (2) and bra (1)

1 Dressy black slacks (or long skirt) & 1 dressy black top (Chicos Travellers are virtually un-wrinkleable) for formal nights

2 different shawls/wraps and 2 sets of fancy costume jewelry to change formal outfit

Fun costume jewelry for casual nights

Shoes: Comfortable walking sandals (I swear by Birkenstocks); White, low/medium heel sandals (for casual nights) ; Black or silver strappy sandals (for formal nights; Pool-beach shoes; Socks or Slippers for cabin

Toiletries - Use trial sizes or Put everything in travel size bottles & put everything in Ziplocks

Wear aboard - A boomstick skirt, tank & shirt or sweater & the white sandals; Have bathing suit, a Tee, and pool shoes in large tote bag with your documents, etc - that way if your luggage does not get to your room before dinner, you are set for the evening.

You will find the large tote bag comes in handy on excursions, etc. If flying, use as carry-on or personal item.

Of course your needs will vary from mine, but you get the idea - pack the basics and worry less about clothes and more about relaxing on your cruise.

Men -

You are on your own on this one, but my DH follows the same basic rules - Slacks/shorts and shirts that are interchangeable - 1 suit and 2 dress shirts.

Hope this is helpful.

THis is a tip not just for when taking cruises but when traveling at all with kids.I often with my husband and kids drive to mexico to visit my in laws and it is a long trip and we only have the space in our vehicle and of course there are always things my husband wants to take to his family so space is very valuable.I have been able to pack for three + weeks of kids clothes into two backpacks and this last year did this with my 5 yr old and 7 yr old.

I take gallon and qrt ziplock bags.

I put out about 4 to 5 pair of pants for each kid

and 2 pair of shorts(not usually hot there)

about 5 or 6 shirts for each kid that are short sleeve

and about 3 long sleeves and /or a pullover sweater or two( the weather where we go can get cool sometimes)

then I put out at least a week of socks and a week of underwear for both

then I pack at least 3 outfits in the gallon bags out of these items, like one shirt ,one pair of pants and 1 pair underwear then socks

then you sqeeze out all the air in the bag( then with a marker i put name of child and then warm or cool clothing)

This really compacts it and is easy to pick an outfit out in no time good for when you are in a hurry to get ready.Not that this would be to good for adults but for kids it really works, then if you are traveling with kids you don't have so many bags.It can also save room in case they want to pack a favorite toy and can probably be a carry on instead of checked luggage.

Try this....

Next cruise or vacation you go on, write down everything you wore or used. If you needed something you didn’t bring it, write that down too. It will surprise you how much stuff you brought that you really didn’t need!

We travel a lot and used to pack way more stuff than we needed. What we found is that we usually wore the same shorts or jeans more than once. There has been a time or two when we had to pay to get something cleaned but that seldom happens.

Also consider upon your return, that you will have more stuff to put away. We always end up either washing or having things dry cleaned that we didn’t ware on the trip.

Resists that "maybe I’ll need it" urge!

Instead of throwing away clothes at home we retire them to a box before they look too used. We include as many of these items in our packing as appropriate and as we use them on the cruise they go into the waste basket. Here is an example: gym shoes need replacing at least twice a year...they look great on the outside but have lost most of their bounce. They go on the cruise to be used either in the gym or on shore...and they never return home (excellent for using when climbing Dunns River Falls or walking in the rain). This is true for t-shirts that won't be seen by the public or gym t-shirts that are just beginning to loose their brightness. Take them on a cruise and and toss them after wearing them...replace them with souvenier t-shirts and you have additional t-shirts to wear to the gym at home and to toss on the next cruise. A decent pair of khaki pants or shorts that would be replaced next season are taken and never return from the cruise. Socks are another good one...especially gym socks...retire them just before they loose their fresh look. We are taking sweat shirts and sweat pants (for layering under clothes) to Alaska this summer...won't see them return either as they are close to retirement. Almost all reading material is tossed as well as beach towels (if on a land trip). We've even carried our own canvas fold up chairs on a Star Clipper cruise (they go to more remote beaches) and gave them to the crew when we dis-embarked. When we fly to St.Martin each spring we wear cotton sweaters and when we arrive they are removed and tossed.

All of this may make it sound like we look a little ragged on a cruise, but not at all. We do stick with black, white, tan and make sure we don't carry things that would require brown shoes. We dress nicely and appropriately. Living in a beach town helps because we are always ready to replace some things by the end of summer that is perfect for a Caribbean or Med cruise. This isn't to say that we don't also carry nice clothes...we certainly do, but using this way of packing allows for purchased trip memories to have space for the return flight.

I'd rather pack light and bring it all home with me. The type of stuff you're talking about gets donated to those less fortunate. Sad that not everyone can afford to take wonderful trips like us.

Not a joke. I lay out everything day by day I think I'll need and then, with the exception of underwear, put half of it back. Have yet to run out of clothes. Sure sometimes something gets worn twice but as long as it doesn't smell, what difference does it make? Generally comes down to:

1 board short for water

2 or 3 pair cargo shorts

4 or 5 t shirts

couple of Hawaiian shirts

pair of sandals

pair of dress shoes

2 khakis/4 polos

1 suit w/ 2 white shirts & 1 tie

few other sundries to round it out

Fits into 1 suitcase and 1 hanging bag

We cruise quite a bit and I use to dread the unpacking process once luggage arrived on the ship. Not anymore! Now I'm unpacked in less than 10 minutes!

I take one large suitcase and one hang-up garment bag.

First step is to put everything that will go into drawers in the bottom layer of your suitcase. Stuff like undies, socks, bathing suits, make-up, hair stuff, bathroom supplies, meds, shoes, etc.

ALL clothes go on hangers, including shorts. Lay the clothes flat in the suitcase and gently fold the sleeves in. If you have big shirts, line the shoulders up with the corner of the suitcase and gently tap the hanger lower into the shirt (sort of like a turtle hiding his head in his shell). I usually put the long pants and tuxedo in the garment bag, along with a few other shirts just because there's room to do so.

When my luggage arrives, all I do is unzip the garment bag, grab everything (already on hangers) and hang it up. Done! Next, unzip the suitcase and grab all of the clothes first (already on hangers) and hang it up. Done! Next, grab the stuff for the drawers and the bathroom and up them all away.

It really takes less than 10 minutes to do the entire unpacking process! AND because everything is on hangers, I can see everything I have and it makes it easy to get ready. No digging through stuff.

I am soooo happy with this process! I hope it blesses somebody else too!

Donna

Archived