Poseidon anyone?

Robin7

Did any of you watch "The Poseidon Adventure"? My teenagers were watching it last night (they recorded it) and my daughter said, "Is that how big your room is on a cruise ship, Mom?" I had to laugh. I wish! We of the almost-always-inside-cabin usually barely have room to turn around! The staterooms depicted were HUGE. Maybe that's how large suites are???

Plus the kids were fascinated by the acrobats in the dining room. I told them the closest thing I'd seen to acrobatics there was the juggling act the stewards did with the covered dishes as they bring out each course. Heh.

Robin

I saw it. I was flipping back and forth between Poseidon and Desperate Housewives. Frankly, I liked the old one with Shelly Winters, et al., better - JMO. The suites were amazingly spacious - I wish my apartment had that much room! :D I thought the acrobatics in the dining room were quite amusing. I can just picture them swinging through the dining room on a "high seas" evening and landing in some poor passenger's soup! Ha!

Some movies just don't do well when remade and even though this was a "made for TV" specail this one didn't do well. In fact, I actually thought it was horridly acted.....got about 15 minutes of our viewing time and I went back to the office to get on CC! :D

I didn`t really care for ir either....the original one was much better. The size of all of the cabins, plus the glitz everywhere kind of reminded me of "Love boat" and all of its glitz. There were some good visuals and other special effects though...........jean:cool:

Very seldom can a remake pass muster. We're just too burned in with the original. That's why Donna Reed couldn't swing it as Miss Ellie on "Dallas" and they had to get Barbara Bel Geddes back. Remember that?

Apparently this ship was part of the Circus-Circus fleet (acrobats overhead.) :rolleyes:

I watched every last minute of it.

It was almost a virtual cruise there for a while!:) I watched most of it, except when I was coaxing the little kids into bed.

Did you notice that even though it was a formal night, the kid wasn't dressed up??? (Ha!)

And I never knew the massage gals had such nice quarters. I assumed they were all in 4-person cabins. :D

I did think the terrorism angle for capsizing the boat was much more realistic than the original 'tidal wave from nowhere' idea.

Robin

Did you notice that even though it was a formal night, the kid wasn't dressed up??? (Ha!)

He stuck out like a very sore thumb. It was supposed to be New Year's Eve! And his mother was supposed to be quite well off financially. You'd think she could have bought him a suit. And made him take his cap off.

And I never knew the massage gals had such nice quarters. I assumed they were all in 4-person cabins. :D

I thought two in their cabins, but I agree that her set-up was unrealistic.

I did think the terrorism angle for capsizing the boat was much more realistic than the original 'tidal wave from nowhere' idea.

I've heard of rogue waves; don't know that they could actually capsize a ship, but they do come out of nowhere.

I did like the use of the new technology that didn't exist when the original movie came out---that was realistic.

Anyone who has never taken a cruise, watched this and believes this was realistic, and now sails is going to be in for a very big shock.

I started a thread over on C@, a running commentary as the movie was playing. You can get our real-time comments. I alternated my viewing between "TPA" and two hours of "Sports Disasters" on TLC.

the things that come to mind are

the way supplies were wheeled onto the ship--- no forkllifts

i thought the captain had 4 stripes not 3

the size of the mausseus (sp) cabin --bigger then my s cabin

the cook cutting carrots looked like i cut them at home not professionally

celebrity did start circque de solil entertainment on some cruises but not in the dining room

how did the agent shorten down the suspect llist just by looking at the crew manifest

messages sent and cameras that work underwater and while the ship is upside down

I thought two in their cabins, but I agree that her set-up was unrealistic.]

From what I understand it is two per cabin, at least on Princess. They gave us a virtual tour of the crew areas via the shipboard tv channel and regular crew people have a small cabin with bunk beds for two. There is also a sink in the cabin, but no toilet or shower. They use a shared bathroom ... shared with another like cabin ... with two more people in it.

The cabins are also TINY. You could literally stand in the middle and put your hands out and practically touch the two walls. In fact the cruise director did just that on the video. He had maybe a couple of inches clearance and he would have been touching both walls.

Of course, officers have it much better, as well as certain higher level staff members ... but this is how the average crew person lives. My hat's off to them. I could never do it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The first one was implausible but at least it was an entertaining film. I fail to see why they did the remake. Except for the use of technology by those NOT on the ship, there was very little that I could buy or be entertained by in this one at all -- and no creativity or interest in the trip through the ship -- nothing new -- just a re-do of the old trip "up" through the ship.

Would not a ship with a big hole in its hull sink rather than flip? Would not the fires consume the oxygen that was there, and since heat rises, make the trip across the upside down catwalk in the engine room totally scorching assuming one had something to breathe? If the ship had capsized no new air was coming in.

They had the chance to update a mediocre film that had become classic -- I could buy into the improbable story once, if nothing else to just exercise my mind over the possibilities of their inverted predicament -- but one would think that if someone was going to spend the money to do a remake that it should have something new to offer.

Thumbs down on the new Poseidon adventure.

I was told on my last cruise that people like the internet rep and the Steiners do not live like the other crew members who share "efficient" (to describe it nicely) quarters that are often below the water line. The company they work for buys them space on A deck or there are also some cabins on the upper decks that are in crew areas but very similar to how we live in a regular inside or outside cabin. I may be wrong about this however.

I do not dispute at all the way the average 700 or so individuals who work most of their waking hours just to make us comfortable live.....in fact I often worry about how tiny and spartan their quarters are. Flew home sitting next to a bar waitress on a Carnival ship who had just completed her contract and she described how she lived on board to us. The Princess description above was very similar to what she described. She said she had about 2 cubic feet of storage space in her cabin for her personal items. She, however, loved her job and intended to return to Carnival after her vacation to her home in Eastern Europe.

Archived