LIVE! First time on the Allure of the Seas - May 7, 2017 Eastern Caribbean

Where should I start? The fact that I've been on 30+ cruises and just sailed an Oasis class ship now after all this time? It's interesting, because I also waited about 5 years to try Freedom class..... I guess when you get used to something?!? So I promised you my final thoughts, observations and opinion on the Allure, so here goes....

I think the question most people want answered is, would I book this class of ship again? The answer is slightly complicated. Yes I would, when I sail with my DH and DD, and probably not when I sail on my annual girls cruise or any other time. Here's the thing.... I really like the Allure, she is a marvel at sea, but at the end of the day, I find myself missing the intimacy of the smaller ship (I know, Freedom class is not THAT small!) the connection with the crew was missing this time. There was no one greeting you as you entered the WJ, and we never saw the same server twice. I really enjoy seeing familiar faces [emoji16]. I think the common areas and spaces on the Allure are outstanding, and many times I stood in the middle of Central Park or the Boardwalk and looked around in wonderment. Allure gets the point for outdoor seating at the specialty restaurants [emoji106]. I didn't feel the quality of the food at either Chops or Giovanni's was as good as the Freedom, but food is just so subjective and it doesn't make or break my cruise. I absolutely loved the Park Cafe and ate lunch there every day. I think Royal should up the ante on ships with a cafe promenade and expand the menu, as well as give out free potato chips!!!

I'm not going to comment much more on food, it isn't really an issue for me one way or another.

As you know, there are 3 of us in our D (superior ocean view with balcony) cabin. Allure wins hands down for a more modern interior, slightly bigger bathroom, and way more comfortable beds ( I did get the egg crate, but even before they put it on, the mattress felt pretty good). One thing I found odd was the size of the safe, it's really small!! Barely fit a full size wallet and a jewelry case?

Unless you read it somewhere, you'd never know who the captain is [emoji853]He made one announcement dismissing everyone from muster and that was it the whole week. Call me a weirdo, but I really enjoy the Noon Report on most other ships.

Mitch, the CD was great. He was visible around the ship and was a great host for all the shows and activities I went to.

Ocean Aria is a must see - it was truly amazing as was Mamma Mia. We missed our reservation for the comedy show as it conflicted with dinner one evening.

The pool deck is where I spend most of my time during the day. There are lots of seats and loungers even on sea days - which is unheard of on other ships. I glanced around at 2pm on each sea day and could spot many empty chairs. Don't be mislead, the chair hogs were out in full force at 7:45AM when my DH went out to enjoy an early morning coffee and wait for me. The deck patrol as far as I could tell, never enforced the 30 minute rule, and I didn't see any signs that referenced the 30 minute rule? The pools were insanely crowded, but they are on any ship...especially on a sea day.

I really really missed the Solarium!!! No question that I love the Solarium on the Freedom class much better than the Allure. I did give my opinion on the Allure's Solarium in another post, but I will say it again, Royal really missed the mark on this one. Hotter than heck because it's mostly enclosed, and the pool is, well, not really a pool [emoji15][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also didn't realize that the freshwater pool was waaay warmer than the salt water pool - I found out today, and spent most of time in the much cooler beach pool.

FYI - checking out towels is serious business around here. They know exactly how many you have at any one time [emoji15] It was a joke on Freedom, even the towel attendant said the machine to scan your seapass wasn't connected to anything!

The sheer amount of things to do at any one time is amazing! I'm not really an active person on a cruise, preferring instead to lounge around reading my book or writing Live reviews!!! [emoji6] My DD loved the zip line (went 3 times while her mom freaked out!)

ef5c0c6f065a6d62bd8521f3568e2c9e.jpg

Allure wins for the variety of activities for sure.

Do I feel like I saw, and did everything I wanted? I think so. This may come as a shock to some of you, but I did very little research about the ship before I boarded. I had an idea of what to expect, but not fully. It truly WAS a brand new experience!

So back to my opening thoughts... I'll sail this class of ship again, and I'll love it again, but if it's just me deciding, I'm going to pick Freedom class. For me, the Allure is just too big, and simply put, I prefer something a bit smaller. I should also point out that when I cruise, I LIKE to feel the ship moving....most of the time this week I could have been anywhere .... there was no motion at all. Having said that, we had very calm seas, so in all fairness, I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

It's after midnight now, and I have typed this entire final review with one finger, on my trusty iPhone [emoji15]lol!

Thanks again for joining me this week, I have loved all of your comments! [emoji4]I will be happy to answer any questions so feel free to ask.

Next up is the Adventure in November [emoji106]Until then, happy cruising everyone!!!

One more question, I read somewhere that on the boardwalk they had cotton candy, did you see any?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought they did too, but sadly, no cotton candy (at least not this week anyways!)

Thanks for taking us along....we sail on Allure in November for our 2nd sailing on her. Who has been your Activity Manager on this sailing? Super Thanks!

I actually have no idea ... sorry!

Thank you for taking the time to do this live review Robyn. It was wonderful and very informative. I'm going on my first RC cruise on the Allure on June 11. I hope to do a live review while I'm on. Kind of pay it forward.

Thanks again and get home safe.

Thank you so much for your review. Your final thoughts were what I am thinking what I will be feeling after my cruise. I have put off booking an Oasis class ship for so long, but the price was too good to pass up. Looking forward to trying it though. Thank you again for taking the time to give us a look at your cruise.

Thank you for another great review. There is nice weather waiting for you when you get home. We have only done 2 cruises, so far. First Oasis, then Freedom. We enjoyed both but loved Freedom. There was just something better about the atmosphere.

Thank you for taking the time, Robyn. I know you enjoy doing the reviews, as much as I enjoy reading them. Will look forward to your next Adventure!!! lolol....

You are most welcome [emoji4] I appreciate everyone who followed along this week!

Awesome review. We did Allure in 2012, & Oasis this year. Enjoyed the experience but this class is just too big for us now.

Safe travel home.

Thank you! [emoji16]

Thank you for taking the time to do this live review Robyn. It was wonderful and very informative. I'm going on my first RC cruise on the Allure on June 11. I hope to do a live review while I'm on. Kind of pay it forward.

Thanks again and get home safe.

Yes! You should definitely do a Live review! I'll be watching for it [emoji106]

Thanks for your kind comments!

Thank you so much for your review. Your final thoughts were what I am thinking what I will be feeling after my cruise. I have put off booking an Oasis class ship for so long, but the price was too good to pass up. Looking forward to trying it though. Thank you again for taking the time to give us a look at your cruise.

Honestly, go in with an open mind. I'm glad I didn't research everything like crazy before I sailed. You will have a fantastic cruise on a wonderful ship, enjoy! [emoji4]

Thank you for another great review. There is nice weather waiting for you when you get home. We have only done 2 cruises, so far. First Oasis, then Freedom. We enjoyed both but loved Freedom. There was just something better about the atmosphere.

I'm with you about the Freedom [emoji106]

Thanks for following along this week [emoji41]

Good morning [emoji4]

Wow, this is the first non-sunny day we've had!! Makes going home a little easier lol

7d3ef472f355cd061c129cc0c21f2822.jpg

I think is probably my least favorite view.....

I forgot to mention that the Internet ( I pre paid for Voom Surf and Stream) was outstanding the entire week. No lost connection, no need to re-enter passwords, it was just perfect. Uploading pictures all week was a breeze.

We have the last luggage tags as we have a late flight back to Toronto (6:30 PM) and prefer to hang around the ship for as long as we can, instead of the airport. We have to disembark at 10:50AM.

Very much enjoyed the review and especially the final thoughts, for which I'm in total agreement. I'm impressed you typed the whole review on a touchscreen, I would not have had the patience. However, somehow I missed that photo of you on the flowrider.

Very much enjoyed the review and especially the final thoughts, for which I'm in total agreement. I'm impressed you typed the whole review on a touchscreen, I would not have had the patience. However, somehow I missed that photo of you on the flowrider.

Haha! The elusive Flowrider picture!!

Yes, I have used my iPhone this time exclusively. It was fine up until last night when I was posting my final thoughts and couldn't see what I had already said [emoji15]lol!

Thanks for following me this week, and as always for your support [emoji4]

What a great daily review and the pictures were top notch.

Not once did you let me down.

I knew I could find a great update on this thread.

I can understand your mixed emotions comparing the Freedom class to the Oasis class.

We sailed Freedom class twice and now Oasis class 4 times, with the 5th coming this summer.

Us on the other hand I guess are addicted to the Oasis class since it is the current attention getter.

But when DD no longer wants to travels with the parental units I can see the DH and I returning to the Freedom.

Thanks again

Safe travels home.