Question for those who have been on the Getaway.

Has anyone who has been on the Getaway ever boarded the ship with no reservations and no excursions booked? I'm looking over all this information and I'm getting overwhelmed. I wouldn't even know for what time or date I would book this stuff. Is there availability while we are on the ship? I'm tempted to just get on the Getaway and hope for the best. Thoughts?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has anyone who has been on the Getaway ever boarded the ship with no reservations and no excursions booked? I'm looking over all this information and I'm getting overwhelmed. I wouldn't even know for what time or date I would book this stuff. Is there availability while we are on the ship? I'm tempted to just get on the Getaway and hope for the best. Thoughts?

TIA

Welcome! Getaway is a fun ship, and I'm sure you'll have an awesome time. The first thing you want to do is set up your "MyNCL" account. The link to it is in the upper right corner of the website. Then you'll link to your reservation if it doesn't do so automatically.

Ninety days before your sailing, it will become possible to make dinner and show reservations. The big signature shows are usually offered on two nights each cruise. I would recommend you make your specialty dining reservations before you set sail, and also book the nights you want to see the two big shows: Million Dollar Quartet and Burn the Floor. If you're not doing specialty dining--that is, you plan on eating in the main dining room (MDR) every night--you don't need to book restaurant reservations.

That's it. It only seems daunting at first because there are so many choices, but you'll be fine just booking one show each night and any specialty restaurants you choose to visit. Everything else you can plan as you go.

Happy sailing.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never pre book anything on the Getaway. I have had 11 cruises on The Getaway including one over Thanksgiving and one over Christmas. There are touch screens on board ship plus the television in your cabin to make dinner reservations. The Shore Excursion Desk is off to one side of the lobby. Go talk to them when you board. They save spaces on excursions for onboard bookings. I would not wait very long once you are on board however. Find the Roll Call for your cruise, in the Roll Call Section of this forum and ask your questions there.

Enjoy The Getaway is a great ship with a wonderful staff.

Mandy

Has anyone who has been on the Getaway ever boarded the ship with no reservations and no excursions booked? I'm looking over all this information and I'm getting overwhelmed. I wouldn't even know for what time or date I would book this stuff. Is there availability while we are on the ship? I'm tempted to just get on the Getaway and hope for the best. Thoughts? TIA Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can board with nothing. And end up with stressing (or not stressing) over it once you are onboard.

You won't know the show times until 90 days prior to your cruise and log on to see when the shows are being offered. Ignore any advice or other information on Cruise Critics.

If you want specialty dining during prime time (5:30 pm - 8:00 pm) you either have to book exactly 90 days prior to your cruise or on embarkation day. NCL holds tables for both days. Once you get very far into your cruise, you will have a tough time booking early dinners.

You can go standby to shows. If the show is sold out, you will be allowed to enter 10 minutes before show time and take whatever seats are left over (i.e. less than good seats). Or just skip the big shows. I would recommend seeing the Million Dollar Quartet.

Welcome! Getaway is a fun ship, and I'm sure you'll have an awesome time. The first thing you want to do is set up your "MyNCL" account. The link to it is in the upper right corner of the website. Then you'll link to your reservation if it doesn't do so automatically.

Ninety days before your sailing, it will become possible to make dinner and show reservations. The big signature shows are usually offered on two nights each cruise. I would recommend you make your specialty dining reservations before you set sail, and also book the nights you want to see the two big shows: Million Dollar Quartet and Burn the Floor. If you're not doing specialty dining--that is, you plan on eating in the main dining room (MDR) every night--you don't need to book restaurant reservations.

That's it. It only seems daunting at first because there are so many choices, but you'll be fine just booking one show each night and any specialty restaurants you choose to visit. Everything else you can plan as you go.

Happy sailing.

Thank you for that info! I feel better about it. I'm coming off of three Disney cruises and while you have to book things ahead of time, there aren't a ZILLION things that need to be booked. (There also isn't a ton of things to do compared to NCL... WOW there's A LOT to do!!!) Would you recommend any of the restaurants as MUST DO? Same with the shows. I think I'll worry about the ports later.

You can board with nothing. And end up with stressing (or not stressing) over it once you are onboard.

You won't know the show times until 90 days prior to your cruise and log on to see when the shows are being offered. Ignore any advice or other information on Cruise Critics.

If you want specialty dining during prime time (5:30 pm - 8:00 pm) you either have to book exactly 90 days prior to your cruise or on embarkation day. NCL holds tables for both days. Once you get very far into your cruise, you will have a tough time booking early dinners.

You can go standby to shows. If the show is sold out, you will be allowed to enter 10 minutes before show time and take whatever seats are left over (i.e. less than good seats). Or just skip the big shows. I would recommend seeing the Million Dollar Quartet.

Great! Thank you.. I was looking for recommendations as to shows. I saw some stuff on youtube and decided that I would like to see the dance show. Slight dilemma is that my pretty large family (15 of us) will be on the cruise too and so I'm wary about trying to make plans for my little family of three)

When the Getaway is on western itinerary can someone please advise which side of the ship faces land when you arrive at the various ports. We are trying to decide which side of the ship we want our cabin on as we like to face land if possible!