Juneau Whale Watch-current reliable company for 2017

gma rae

We cruised Alaska with Princess last month and booked their "Whale Watching and Wildlife Quest" excursion in Juneau. The company that actually conducted the excursion was "Allen Marine Tours" http://allenmarinetours.com/juneau/whale-watching/ The Captain, the Naturalist, and the rest of the crew were very professional, yet very open and friendly. Their love and respect for the animals and environment is evident, and they're all anxious to share this experience.

Our boat was spacious, wheelchair accessible, and I remember seeing youngsters onboard. Binoculars, Coffee, Hot Cocoa, and Doughnut Holes were provided! Clean restrooms onboard too!)

I'm sure there are other capable and caring touring companies in the area, but we haven't toured with them and can't make comparisons. But I can, without hesitation or reservation, recommend Allen Marine Tours. Absolutely the highlight of our trip. We couldn't have had a better day.

Can someone tell me what Jayleen's company is called? We're going August 2018 and I have saved Harv and Marv info, but would like to look at her website also.

Jayleen's company is called: Jayleen's Alaska.

I'm looking for a recommendation of a company other than Harv and Marv - I'd love to use them based on all the awesome reviews but their policy won't allow my 12 & 10 year old kids on their tours so I need to book something else. Has anyone used these companies or can make a recommendation of another that they've used? Going in August so I want to book soon.

http://www.juneauadventures.com/reservations.php

http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/tour/mendenhall-glacier-whale-watching/AKJNDOLWHLGL

Many thanks,

Elissa

This company is ranked #1 on TripAdvisor so it may work for you.

http://www.juneauwhalewatch.com/

I'm looking for a recommendation of a company other than Harv and Marv - I'd love to use them based on all the awesome reviews but their policy won't allow my 12 & 10 year old kids on their tours so I need to book something else. Has anyone used these companies or can make a recommendation of another that they've used? Going in August so I want to book soon.

http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/tour/mendenhall-glacier-whale-watching/AKJNDOLWHLGL

Many thanks,

Elissa

What is their policy that prohibits 12 and 10 year olds?

We just returned from Alaska and went on a whale watching tour with Harv and Marv. The captain was Captain Brent in a small boat (6 people tops) and he was amazing! We thoroughly enjoyed our excursion and saw several whales! It was educational and exciting at the same time. He was also funny. We would go back and request this same Captain sailing on the "Obi One" boat. He was "our only hope".[emoji16][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Many thanks,

Elissa

Have you checked on your roll call to see if maybe 2 people who are okay with pre teens might go in with you to get the 6 needed for a "private" tour.

Just a thought.

Have you checked on your roll call to see if maybe 2 people who are okay with pre teens might go in with you to get the 6 needed for a "private" tour.

Just a thought.

That's not a bad thought - thanks for the idea.! I'll look into it.

Elissa

We just returned from Alaska and went on a whale watching tour with Harv and Marv. The captain was Captain Brent in a small boat (6 people tops) and he was amazing! We thoroughly enjoyed our excursion and saw several whales! It was educational and exciting at the same time. He was also funny. We would go back and request this same Captain sailing on the "Obi One" boat. He was "our only hope".[emoji16][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Same. He was GREAT!

We went with Jayleen last week when we were in Juneau on the Ruby Princess. We loved Jayleen and her helper, Emily. Our tour was fabulous and I'd say it only could have been better if we'd been lucky enough to see bubble net feeding, which I believe it pretty rare! We were a party of 6, my parents in their 70's, myself, and daughter, son, and daughter in law. They are 25 and 30. She was knowledgeable and had a boat that was the perfect size for just the 6 of us. 8 is the most she will take. We saw quite a few whales, lots of tails, a lot of fins. One of them did a roll thing and showed her dorsal fins. She then proceeded to breach for us, all the way out of the water. We saw lots of sea lions, and even a few seals at the harbor. Jayleen's boat, the Alaska Girl, was comfortable and equipped with binoculars for all of us. She also had blankets in case we got cold, ever thought the boat cabin was heated. She had treats, granola bars, and drinks, too.

I actually spoke with her about her one bad review. She totally knows it's out there and owns it. If you are familiar with boats...hers is not big at all. She got out with her tour and the winds picked up to 80 knots. She admitted that she could have done some things better, but that to this day she's very happy she off loaded her passengers. She made it back, but a huge wave went over the top of her boat and cracked the top so that water was coming in. She felt she was putting the safety of the passengers first and said she would do the same thing again. It was a class trip all the way and I will write up reviews and give her 5 stars on Trip Advisor. She knows her stuff and we wouldn't hesitate to go with her again!

• 1 month later...
I would be really interested to hear how you get on with your trips with Jayleen in July :)

As promised, I am reporting back about our experience with Jayleen. Please have patience with me as I write a detailed report with pictures (hopefully) of our three weeks of Alaska cruises (B2B Princess immediately followed by a HAL cruise).

For now, I will tell you that we did have a good time during our two whale (northbound and southbound) watching tours with Jayleen. We enjoyed our experience so much that we have booked with her for northbound and southbound 2018.

More details to follow when I get my review posted.

As promised, I am reporting back about our experience with Jayleen. Please have patience with me as I write a detailed report with pictures (hopefully) of our three weeks of Alaska cruises (B2B Princess immediately followed by a HAL cruise).

For now, I will tell you that we did have a good time during our two whale (northbound and southbound) watching tours with Jayleen. We enjoyed our experience so much that we have booked with her for northbound and southbound 2018.

More details to follow when I get my review posted.

Thank you so much for getting back to me, that is great to hear. I will look forward to reading your review - thank you for taking to write one :)