Classic cars

Kb273

This is for anyone who has already been to Havana. I am going on Royal Caribbean in September, my question is are the classic cars that can hired anywhere near the port that you can hire the day you arrive or does it need to be scheduled ahead of time

Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

The rumor I've heard is they are all lined up there waiting for the cruise passengers. One thing I've heard is to agree upon a price and a length of time before you get in.

Let me see if I can find where I've read this.

The rumor I've heard is they are all lined up there waiting for the cruise passengers. One thing I've heard is to agree upon a price and a length of time before you get in.

Let me see if I can find where I've read this.

Thank you, really looking forward to the adventure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

So glad to see it affirmed! I have 3 kids who would love to be crammed in one of those backseats! ;)

Those cars hold 5 adult passengers. No cramming required. :-)

They're all over the place, waiting for your business.

Enjoy.

Those cars hold 5 adult passengers. No cramming required. :-)

do not think I have ever seen 5 adults in the back seat of one of those cars since I was a teen & we were pile on top of each other :evilsmile:

do not think I have ever seen 5 adults in the back seat of one of those cars since I was a teen & we were pile on top of each other :evilsmile:

I did not use the words "back seat". I said the cars can hold 5 passengers.

And you're dating yourself. LOL

I guess I should ask a corollary question - there are five of us in my family. So I was hoping we could put the little guy in the middle of the front seat, and three larger people (myself and two kids) across the backseat? I know the big old american cars I grew up around had a funky little seat in the center. He's not too big. ;)

I guess I should ask a corollary question - there are five of us in my family. So I was hoping we could put the little guy in the middle of the front seat, and three larger people (myself and two kids) across the backseat? I know the big old american cars I grew up around had a funky little seat in the center. He's not too big. ;)

I have only seen bench seats, front and back.

And you are aware that hardly any of these classic cars have seat belts?

I think most of the fun with those cars is just cruising down the Malecon in Vedado, breeze in your hair, passing the Hotel Nacional where the rich and famous stayed in the day. (The history, if you are interested in dates and details, is good for a walking tour in Havana Vieja, the old city. Orientation for what monuments you may see in passing in the car is easily done with any guidebook.)

it is much nicer for some to have a guide explain what you are seeing guide books can work for some but I would rather hear about the sites from a local

YMMV

You can Google to see various companies and tours and lengths of time. Note that you will pay more if you arrange something ahead of time, rather than bargain once you get there. In general, around 50-60 CUC/hr, maybe, without bargaining.

oooops

50-60 CUC (not per hour, per ride about 2 hrs)

But do Google for specific companies' rates.

Or just find a car and ask. They're all over the old town. That way you are sure of the car you are getting; I've seen reports of those who booked ahead online getting another car, not the one they thought they'd be getting. Often it depends on how well the car is fixed up, too. Some of them are nicer than others; and afaik convertibles are more.

oooops

50-60 CUC (not per hour, per ride about 2 hrs)

But do Google for specific companies' rates.

Or just find a car and ask. They're all over the old town. That way you are sure of the car you are getting; I've seen reports of those who booked ahead online getting another car, not the one they thought they'd be getting. Often it depends on how well the car is fixed up, too. Some of them are nicer than others; and afaik convertibles are more.

OldCarTours is 60 for two hours. 20 more for an English-speaking guide.

• 2 weeks later...

What I gathered from my time there is the cars around the terminal are part of a fleet. A booker will approach you in the terminal. As you get away from the terminal and around the various squares, you will find many more cars and some or many are privately owned. One of my shipmates told me their driver said he was the third generation to have this car and selling rides was how he supported his family. I believe you are more likely to find an English speaking driver with a private car as this is their business and the drivers of fleet cars are most likely low-paid drivers.

• 2 months later...

I highly recommend Old Car Tours. Rodrigo is very good with quick response and the cars are GORGEOUS. The guides are an add on to the tour price, but SO worth it. I used this company in May. Nacho was my guide on day 1 and Yasser was my guide on day 2. Both treated me like a princess, they were SO knowledgeable, smart, funny and gallant. I was a solo female traveler/ passenger. Day 1, there were 3 men in the front seat, and I was alone in the back seat. All 3 men were great. The 3rd man was a new driver being trained. I did not mind, because I was a solo passenger.

We booked an all day tour through Tour Republic (which is out of Miami). 6 hours for about $150, two people, air condition car ('59 Impala), and a break for lunch. Saw a LOT.

Our driver was on time to the minute of the arranged time to meet at Plaza San Francisco.

One really nice thing about it is that we pre-payed- so that was something we didn't have to bring cash for.

As a side- IF you take a tour- any tour- you will see some of the ~75,000 pre-'59 American cars at every stop. It's like a tiny car show happening all over Havana.

I find it extremely ironic that tourists traveling to Cuba on a "people to people" or "support for the Cuban people" reason for travel are supporting or dealing through US agencies for tours or lodging when there are Cuban agencies to deal with directly and easily that provide the same services and whose profits go 100% to Cubans on the island.

(Btw, there are many destinations where carrying cash is a necessity, most radically less safe than very safe Cuba.)

I find it extremely ironic that tourists traveling to Cuba on a "people to people" or "support for the Cuban people" reason for travel are supporting or dealing through US agencies for tours or lodging when there are Cuban agencies to deal with directly and easily that provide the same services and whose profits go 100% to Cubans on the island.

(Btw, there are many destinations where carrying cash is a necessity, most radically less safe than very safe Cuba.)

I can deal with it. I don't like carrying big loads of cash in the US. So why would I want to do the same anywhere else, let alone Cuba?

Again, the idea is to present options to travelers so that they can work within their personal comfort zone. If you are ok with taking $2000 to Cuba or other countries, great. If not, there are options for you so that you don't have to. If you are someplace in between, there are also options.

I can deal with it. I don't like carrying big loads of cash in the US. So why would I want to do the same anywhere else, let alone Cuba?

Cuba is not "anywhere else". There is less crime, and less tourist crime, than probably anywhere else you have ever been, besides having a safe on board the ship.

It's $150, not one point five million, carried only when you leave the ship to get picked up by the car's driver./guide a few yards from the pier.

Any US passport holder on a land based trip carries cash in Cuba, enough for the whole trip, maybe weeks. No reports online of any robberies.

Why would you want to carry cash to pay a locally based tour company?

To be the least exploitative, and most supportive, of the Cuban people on the island as possible.

This is supposedly the reason given for your trip.