Star Princess Alaska Cruise - what can I expect.?

anjoliza

I have sailed once on Princess back in 2000 on the old Pacific Princess (The Love Boat:)) Since then I have mainly cruised Carnival. I don't want to start a discussion on which cruiseline is better, I just am looking for information on how Princess operates.

So far I have noticed that they still have the internet plans based on minutes. I'm hoping that will change to an unlimited package before I cruise (September 2018).

Are we allowed to take any alcohol on board? i.e. 1 bottle of wine?

Do they have a drinks package? and does everyone in the cabin have to buy it?

Do they have a wine package?

and any other type of information you can give me on embarkation/debarkation.

Also any info on the Star Princess would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Each adult in the cabin can bring one bottle of wine for cabin consumption at no charge. Bottles beyond that limit, or any bottle consumed in the dining room, are subject to a $15 charge.

The All-Inclusive Beverage Package does not have to be purchased by all adults. It is $49/day plus 15% gratuity and covers all pours up to and including $10. It also provides for a 40% discount on bottles of wine under $100, which can be shared with those not on the package. There are VERY few beverages not included in the plan - search around some.

There have been trials of non-time-metered internet packages. Do not hold your breath.

Star is doing Vancouver, IIRC. If there are three ships scheduled in Vancouver on either or both your embarkation or disembarkation day, plan for delays that can postpone sailaway or slow getting to the airport for a flight before 11:30. You'll be able to determine this by looking at the Vancouver cruise ship schedule after the first of the year.

I have sailed once on Princess back in 2000 on the old Pacific Princess (The Love Boat:)) Since then I have mainly cruised Carnival. I don't want to start a discussion on which cruiseline is better, I just am looking for information on how Princess operates.

So far I have noticed that they still have the internet plans based on minutes. I'm hoping that will change to an unlimited package before I cruise (September 2018).

No one knows, but there has not been any announcements or speculation. Plan on the mins.

Are we allowed to take any alcohol on board? i.e. 1 bottle of wine?

1 x 750ml bottle of wine for use per person of drinking age, for use in your cabin, can be carried on without charge at embarkation. Additional bottles can be carried on but will incur a corkage charge of $15/bot. These bottles will be marked and can be used anywhere on the ship. If the "free" bottle is carried to a public area it will be subject to the corkage fee. No beer or spirits are allowed to be carried on. You can carry on as many soft drinks as you like.

Do they have a drinks package? and does everyone in the cabin have to buy it?

Yes, $57.35/pp includes the gratuity. Good for any alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverage menu priced $10 and under. Package excludes room service. Package includes 40% off bottles of wine priced up to $100. No, everyone in the cabin is not required to purchase the package. No sharing. If caught sharing the the package will be revoked without refund. Bottles of wine can be shared.

Do they have a wine package?

Maybe. On cruises under 10 days normally no. On cruises 10 days or more normally yes.

and any other type of information you can give me on embarkation/debarkation.

No faster to the fun on Princess. When you board you go directly to your cabin. In exchange everyone is asked to leave their cabin by 8am on disembarkation day. Boarding normally begins around noon.

Also any info on the Star Princess would be appreciated.

I like the Star. Have been on it for 90 days. Here is some information regarding dining.

No charge Dining

MDR's open each day for breakfast and dinner and for lunch on sea days.

Buffet - Open from 5am until 11pm, never closes during that time, serving breakfast. lunch, dinner, snacks

International Cafe, open 24/7 serving danish and other breakfast items, then paninis, salads and soup until late evening, then snack items. Believe you can request a panini overnight even though it isn't in the showcase.

Trident Grill, Prego Pizza and Sundaes by the Lido Pool open 11am to late evening.

Pub Lunch in the Crown Grill on some sea days, serving fish & Chips and other British pub food.

Surcharge Restaurants - Reservations recommended

Crown Grill - $29/pp Steak & Chop house

Sabatini's - $25/pp, Italian

Crab Shack - $29/pp held some evenings in a closed off seating area of the buffet.

Thanks!

See above