EQUINOX DEUX - 11 Night Ultimate Caribbean - PV Trip Report 3/13/17

FRMPEI

Sorry for the delay! Your wish is my command! :)

Just like food in a fine dining room it takes extra time to prepare your food. Same with the Trip Report.:hearteyes:

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Yipeeeeee....you are back! We all missed you!

Looking forward to hearing more about The Whisky House at the Lawn Club. This may be a game changer for me when I'm aboard on July 16. Hoping most of the options will be included in the Premium package. But, also might be cool to try some really high end Whisky and pay the $ difference.

Kevin,

You are so right about not ignoring chest pains. My DH attributed his to other things until he had his heart attack and emergency catheterization and 2 stents followed up by a third one 2 weeks later. He had no history of heart disease. Fortunately, he made a full recovery with no heart damage.

We did the equinox 10 day eastern a few years ago. A nice change of weather from a cold December in the north

We were on the Silhouette last October and ate in the lawn grill. Was very good. We were on the Eclipse recently and while the glass show is interesting, I would have preferred a dinner in the lawn grill.

Always enjoy your reports.

Gail

Hi Kevin!

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip & the cruise ship Equinox. My husband & I will be sailing on the Equinox in December. It will be his first time on Celebrity. I sailed last November with my sister. I love it & the martini bar :).

I will be checking out your other cruise trips.

Carol Ann

Hi Carol Ann,

Thanks for joining in on the Trip Report. I would love to cruise around the Holiday season but it is so darn expensive. I think the "ice" Martini Bar has been one of the most novel ideas at sea maybe even more so than the lawn club. Be sure to add a comment on my other Trip reports.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Yipeeeeee....you are back! We all missed you!

With the last photo set posted it exhausted the photos that I had uploaded to SmugMug. Last night I choose and uploaded the next set and it took forever for them to upload. Our high speed is not so high speed but, we pay the same price as people with high speed. A big thumbs down to one of Canada's largest corporations ... Bell.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Looking forward to hearing more about The Whisky House at the Lawn Club. This may be a game changer for me when I'm aboard on July 16. Hoping most of the options will be included in the Premium package. But, also might be cool to try some really high end Whisky and pay the $ difference.

Hi Summerlin,

Sorry to disappoint but, I am not a alcohol drinker and really can't tell you much more about the new Whiskey House. Please give us an update here when you return from your July 16 cruise.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin,

You are so right about not ignoring chest pains. My DH attributed his to other things until he had his heart attack and emergency catheterization and 2 stents followed up by a third one 2 weeks later. He had no history of heart disease. Fortunately, he made a full recovery with no heart damage.

We did the equinox 10 day eastern a few years ago. A nice change of weather from a cold December in the north

We were on the Silhouette last October and ate in the lawn grill. Was very good. We were on the Eclipse recently and while the glass show is interesting, I would have preferred a dinner in the lawn grill.

Always enjoy your reports.

Gail

Hi Gail

Thanks for sharing your story with me. I recently completed a Cardiac Rehab Program and it has helped me greatly not only from a physical standpoint but also mentally. I would highly recommend that your husband also seek out this type of program in your area. For me the history of heart disease was all around me but I only saw it/realized it in hindsight.

Re: Lawn Club Grill vs. Hot Glass Show Agree! I love the Lawn Club Grill and can't wait to get back to it next March. Personally I wish Celebrity would say bye bye to the Hot Glass Show!

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 1 - FLL - SAIL AWAY

Seriously! You really know your cruise is under way when you look down at the dock and you see that space between your ship and the dock widen to see water. This captain is right on time and is pulling away from the pier at 4:00 PM sharp. Since 2014 we like to experience sail away from our own stateroom's balcony rather than in open public spaces. Since 2014 I have sent a "wave request" to the Port Everglades Webcam and they have captured our wave for our families to see back home. I did not have much time to set up my cameras (yes that is cameras plural) to capture our sail away. I already knew where I wanted to set them up before hand and had to rush because the captain was already underway.

Cameras are set up capture the sail way from four different perspectives. I have an idea to use this in my next video I will share.

GoPro #1 fixed to the top of our patio door with a Joby Action Clamp Suction Cup.

DSC09267-XL.jpg

GoPro #2 Mounted at the top of the open Veranda divider also fixed with a Joby Action ClampDSC09265-XL.jpg

Camera #3 - The Sony HX50V mounted on the rail with a Joby Gorilla Pod which is pointed aft. I just noticed that this photo lines up almost perfectly with the above picture which is kinda of cool.

DSC09266-XL.jpg

Camera # 4 - Sony GW77 also mounted on the rail with a Joby Gorilla Pod. This camera was pointed to the front but, I had already turned it around to capture/Zoom in on the pilot being picked up.

DSC09268-XL.jpg

Equinox completely pulled away from the dock. Later in the cruise we will see many more of these huge container port cranes.

DSC09167-XL.jpg

Spinning our bow towards the opening to the Atlantic Ocean.

DSC09168-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hi Gail

Thanks for sharing your story with me. I recently completed a Cardiac Rehab Program and it has helped me greatly not only from a physical standpoint but also mentally. I would highly recommend that your husband also seek out this type of program in your area. For me the history of heart disease was all around me but I only saw it/realized it in hindsight.

Re: Lawn Club Grill vs. Hot Glass Show Agree! I love the Lawn Club Grill and can't wait to get back to it next March. Personally I wish Celebrity would say bye bye to the Hot Glass Show!

Regards,

Kevin Reid

He did complete the cardiac rehab and found it to be beneficial.

The next two Cruises we have happen to be on the Eclipse so won't have the opportunity for the Lawn Grill.

Gail

DAY 1 - FLL - SAIL AWAY - cont'd

Pier used by Princess and the one closest to the 17th Street Bridge.

DSC09174-XL.jpg

My favourite viewing and photo taking spot over the last three days 17th Street Bridge.

IMG_3749-XL.jpg

Donna with colourful waving device in hand to be noticed by Port Everglades webcam.

DSC09171-XL.jpg

During a post cruise excursion of Fort Lauderdale we were told that this sandy beach area you see in this photo below was created overnight in the early 2000's during a hurricane.

DSC09179-XL.jpg

IMG_3752-XL.jpg

DSC09204-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

He did complete the cardiac rehab and found it to be beneficial.

The next two Cruises we have happen to be on the Eclipse so won't have the opportunity for the Lawn Grill.

Gail

Grab a steak from the Oceanview buffet and take it out on the Lawn Club and pretend. :D

Regards,

Kevin Reid

When I win the lottery maybe I can convince one of these homeowners to sell to me?

DSC09182-XL.jpg

DSC09192-XL.jpg

The house in the middle of this picture not only has a gorgeous pool in the backyard but, to the right side their very own personal Flow Rider surf simulator.

DSC09196-XL.jpg

DSC09199-XL.jpg

DSC09188-XL.jpg

DSC09191-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DSC09214-XL.jpg

DSC09207-XL.jpg

Third floor second balcony from the ground far left... Home of the Port Everglades Webcam. I so much would love to cut down the palm tree in the right of this photo because it block my view when watching from home.

DSC09215-XL.jpg

DSC09225-XL.jpg

DSC09237-XL.jpg

DSC09228-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

The wave pay off - Success! Captured from our son's, Adam, iPhone. (PEI provincial flag on right) Huge prize to anyone who can explain significance of four oak trees? (if you live or from PEI you are disqualified).

IMG_9976-XL.png

The Webcam Tips & Tricks - How to get noticed!

1) Send an e-mail to Port Everglades Webcam requesting a wave.

2) Have something that they can recognize you right away. Flags are best! Two Flags are even better one.

3) Take a small roll of packaging tape with you to tape your flag to the inside of veranda glass not the outside.

4) Don't try to lean over the rail holding your flag the wind always wins or you may fall overboard! Ouch! Cruise over!

5) Use something colourful to wave to draw the attention of the camera.

6) Have someone at home to tell you when your are coming into the camera's focus.

7) Pack your flags and tape in carry-on just in case your luggage does not get delivered in time

Couple of pictures of the beautiful beach. Well maybe not as beautiful as my beaches.

DSC09235-XL.jpg

DSC09241-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DSC09240-XL.jpg

Pilot's boat rushing toward Equinox to pick them up.

DSC09245-XL.jpg

DSC09253-XL.jpg

Lets inch this thing in as close as possible.

DSC09259-XL.jpg

Pilot picked up and headed back to Port Everglades.

DSC09269-XL.jpg

With the sail away over Donna applies some Spa Treatment to Norma Jean. I hope Norma Jean left a good tip?

DSC09273-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Up next! Silk Harvest & Edge Extravaganza. You won't want to miss it!

Thank you for writing taking the time to write this review! I am considering a Celebrity cruise for 2018 on the Summit, so I am on the Boards reading through some reviews to get a feel as to what Celebrity is all about. I am also still trying to plan my days in Cozumel and Grand Cayman on my upcoming MSC Divina cruise, so I am excited to read your trip report. Quick question: What camera and editing tools do you use? You have some AMAZING shots! :D

Just a quick tip! Divina uses lifeboats to tender in Grand Cayman. It is quite a step down and up into them! Just keep that in mind if you have any mobility issue at all. I was in a cast walking and I didn't realize how big of an issue it was until I was practically falling into one last summer. I literally had to be lifted out of it when we got back to the ship at the end of the day. The one good thing was they filled up quite quickly go back and forth. We were in Yacht Club so our butler walked us right to the front of a line for one, but coming back we waited maybe 5 minutes. We did 7 Mile Beach and it as wonderful, clear water, nice beach chairs at an affordable price, and clean bathrooms. Right next to Calico Jacks at the public beach. Can't wait to go back this summer not in a cast to really enjoy it and be able to walk around a bit!

Royal's sister ship Regal will be up on the third day of our stay in Fort Lauderdale. I think they are both beautiful looking ships. Donna and I believe that it will be Princess that could potentially sway us away from Celebrity.

Thanks for joining in and adding your comments.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

If there is anything I love more than Celebrity is Regal Princess. Its kinda like picking which child is your favorite so I can't make the call but its very very close!

When I win the lottery maybe I can convince one of these homeowners to sell to me?

The house in the middle of this picture not only has a gorgeous pool in the backyard but, to the right side their very own personal Flow Rider surf simulator.

DSC09196-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

If you want this one, it had better be Powerball. I don't think Lotto Max is going to cut it :D

Hey, Kevin! So glad I found this new trip review! You do such an amazing job with the editing of you videos. Sure would be nice to see you guys on a ship again. Was Beth the person to actually call you Frumpy?

Just a quick tip! Divina uses lifeboats to tender in Grand Cayman. It is quite a step down and up into them! Just keep that in mind if you have any mobility issue at all. I was in a cast walking and I didn't realize how big of an issue it was until I was practically falling into one last summer. I literally had to be lifted out of it when we got back to the ship at the end of the day. The one good thing was they filled up quite quickly go back and forth. We were in Yacht Club so our butler walked us right to the front of a line for one, but coming back we waited maybe 5 minutes. We did 7 Mile Beach and it as wonderful, clear water, nice beach chairs at an affordable price, and clean bathrooms. Right next to Calico Jacks at the public beach. Can't wait to go back this summer not in a cast to really enjoy it and be able to walk around a bit!

Hi musik07,

The Grand Cayman tender situation I can't figure out. Why do cruise companies continue to flock to this port when they have to tender rather than dock. Grand Cayman is the further thing away from a third world country like some Caribbean stops. The pressure by the cruise companies should be hard to push for a non tendered port. The cruise ship industry I am sure brings in millions to the local economy of Grand Cayman. Something drastic will have to happen to force Grand Cayman's hand. Take for example St. Maartens my first trip there was 2005 tenders then back in 2010 and they have one fabulous non tender port. With thousands of passengers/day during cruise ship season.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

If there is anything I love more than Celebrity is Regal Princess. Its kinda like picking which child is your favorite so I can't make the call but its very very close!

Hi pirategirl007,

The new Princess twins look rather sweet. The only negative I can see from YouTube videos is that the veranda/balcony looks tiny when compared to a "S" class Celebrity ships.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

This is so interesting! We took this cruise on the Eclipse last year. This year we were on the Equinox in May and will go again in October. Can't wait!

Hi GordonJasmine,

Thanks for dropping by and adding your comment. I though Eclipse only did the two weeks cruise out of Miami?

Regards,

Kevin Reid