Questions regarding cruise out of SJ

Mntbiker2008

Hey all,

First time poster, but have been lurking for a good while now. My fiance' and I have our cruise booked for our honeymoon with Carnival. We leave on a sunday and get back early sunday morning. We have the Intercontinental booked for 2 days but we cannot check in there until 4. We are wanting to check out Old San Juan before getting a taxi up to the hotel so is there a place that we can store our luggage while we walk around? I thought I had read of a place that will at one point but cannot find it anymore.

Thanks!

Just a thought ,but most hotels will let you check your bags with the bell captain. On several occasions we checked in early and left the bags with the bell captain returning @ the suggested check-in time . This might be a consideration and you'd be free to go off to OSJ.

According to the Barrachina's website, they might have exactly what you need. http://www.barrachina.com/#servicios

Special service offer to all cruise passengers having late flight out of San Juan.

-Free luggage storage service offer from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm everyday.

-Taxi stand one building away from us.

-Free wireless service.

Thank you all so much! The hotel will let us drop the bags there. My only issue with that is we woyld have to get a taxi ride back up there (it is right next to the airport) and then get back down to old san juan, then back again. At $20 each way, that's jusnt not financially reasonable. I'm going to try to go with that restaurant and take it from there!

Thanks again!

Thank you all so much! The hotel will let us drop the bags there. My only issue with that is we woyld have to get a taxi ride back up there (it is right next to the airport) and then get back down to old san juan, then back again. At $20 each way, that's jusnt not financially reasonable. I'm going to try to go with that restaurant and take it from there!

Thanks again!

Hi The hotel you are staying in Isla Verde (next to the airport) all you need to do is go to the hotel leave your baggage, and outside the hotel you will find the bus stop that will take you to old SJ for 1.00 have quarters, on your way back you can take the same bus or take a taxi. One bus will take you thru Condado the other one thru the city. There are two buses that take you to old SJ ask the hotel the numbers it been a while and I know the numbers has changed

Hi The hotel you are staying in Isla Verde (next to the airport) all you need to do is go to the hotel leave your baggage, and outside the hotel you will find the bus stop that will take you to old SJ for 1.00 have quarters, on your way back you can take the same bus or take a taxi. One bus will take you thru Condado the other one thru the city. There are two buses that take you to old SJ ask the hotel the numbers it been a while and I know the numbers has changed

Awesome! I didn't know about the bus system. That will save a lot of hassle.

On another note,

Any restaurant recommendations in San Juan? I have seen a lot of people raving about El Hambuguer and Lupis Mexican Grill. Any other places we must eat at?

• 1 month later...

Perhaps someone can give me some suggestions regarding a hotel. The beach is not important to us in San Juan. We'll be having plenty of beach time on the cruise. We really just want to explore Old San Juan. We would like a place to stay that's clean and well kept and convenient for visiting OSJ. Price is defintely a consideration since we would rather spend our money on experiences than a bed and a shower. That being said though, we don't want to stay in a dump. We are planning on coming in 2 days before our cruise and we will have our teenaged son with us. Do we HAVE to stay in OSJ to be able to enjoy sightseeing there? What other areas do you recommend? If we don't stay in OSJ, how bad is it getting there to tour the sights. And then of course, we'll need to get from our hotel to the port on cruise day. We don't plan on renting a car. What are our other transportation options? Thanks!

We stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Express and were very pleased with it. It has a nice pool and close to the beach, free breakfast, within walking distance of places to eat. It is not OSJ, but maybe you could check on the bus line. It was about $20 taxi from port to hotel.

Perhaps someone can give me some suggestions regarding a hotel. The beach is not important to us in San Juan. We'll be having plenty of beach time on the cruise. We really just want to explore Old San Juan. We would like a place to stay that's clean and well kept and convenient for visiting OSJ. Price is defintely a consideration since we would rather spend our money on experiences than a bed and a shower. That being said though, we don't want to stay in a dump. We are planning on coming in 2 days before our cruise and we will have our teenaged son with us. Do we HAVE to stay in OSJ to be able to enjoy sightseeing there? What other areas do you recommend? If we don't stay in OSJ, how bad is it getting there to tour the sights. And then of course, we'll need to get from our hotel to the port on cruise day. We don't plan on renting a car. What are our other transportation options? Thanks!

Have you tried pricing the Sheraton in Old San Juan...we stayed here 2 nights pre-cruise...great location.

Thanks, but "price is definitely a consideration", and $300 per night is not worth considering. That's several shore excursions!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Wasn't sure of your time frame that always makes a big difference. Best of luck as San Juan can be pricey during certain months.

You might want to check the Decanter Hotel in OSJ. It is right across from the Cathedral, centrally located, and was recently renovated. It has gotten mostly excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. We are booked there post cruise in November, and it cost us $141 for one night, and that was for a Superior Queen, a larger room with a veranda; there were less expensive rooms that were a little smaller. It is a little botique hotel, with something like 20 rooms if I remember correctly, but it sounds like a good choice if it is in your price range. Hope this helps.

We usually stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan, but last time, we didn't like the price and got a reasonable price at the Caribe Hilton through Hotwire.

From there, we walked into Old San Juan for the day. I can't tell you distance, but we like to walk and it was very do-able.

We ate at El Hamburger (mentioned above) both nights. It was maybe 15 min or so from the hotel on the way into Old San Juan.

We usually stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan, but last time, we didn't like the price and got a reasonable price at the Caribe Hilton through Hotwire.

From there, we walked into Old San Juan for the day. I can't tell you distance, but we like to walk and it was very do-able.

We ate at El Hamburger (mentioned above) both nights. It was maybe 15 min or so from the hotel on the way into Old San Juan.

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton last time. I really liked the beach and the proximity to Old San Juan.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, but "price is definitely a consideration", and $300 per night is not worth considering. That's several shore excursions!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Depending on when you will be there, you can get the Sheraton Old San Juan on Hotwire for around $150 a night. We have stayed at Casablanca and El Convento on OSJ before. Enjoyed both. Never tried to walk to OSJ from the Condado area. Don't think that I am that adventurous.

- Kristi

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check out VRBO and airbnb, I use them frequently. We don't rent hotels anymore, the homes are so much cheaper to rent and fun because of authenticity of the place you're staying! We have a place rented in Old San Juan for April, prices better than a hotel and you can each have a bedroom! Good luck. :cool:

Hey all,

First time poster, but have been lurking for a good while now. My fiance' and I have our cruise booked for our honeymoon with Carnival. We leave on a sunday and get back early sunday morning. We have the Intercontinental booked for 2 days but we cannot check in there until 4. We are wanting to check out Old San Juan before getting a taxi up to the hotel so is there a place that we can store our luggage while we walk around? I thought I had read of a place that will at one point but cannot find it anymore.

Thanks!

It would require some back and forth but we got off of the Advenure of the Seas at the Pan American pier a few weeks ago. We had 2 rooms booked at the El San Juan Hotel in Isla Verde not far from the Intercontinental. We took a taxi over to the hotel, arriving around 7:45AM and our rooms were ready.

Even if your room is not available, as has been mentioned, the hotel will store your stuff. If you do go over to the hotel. I would suggest you take Uber back from the hotel to Old San Juan. You just have to walk down to street away from the hotel entrance to meet your driver.