Going, going, finally gone sale

Everybody wants to know when to buy the cheapest balcony. I was wondering if the GGG Sale produced that price. Surprise! It didn't.

As a single sailing data point I decided to track prices from the April 11 GGG Sale flyer to see if prices dropped AFTER "exclusive" Crown and Anchor early access. I chose the May 28 Allure 7-night sailing, as it has plenty of cabins they would want to GGG sell.

These are anonymous prices for Balcony D3 cabins, no other discounts applied. Prices are per person, of course.

Thanks for posting the URL to their weekly flyer, Bob. (My first "Thanks Bob!) It's usually updated Thursday afternoon.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Here are my unscientific results:

GOING, GOING, GONE! WEEKLY SALES EVENT

Exclusive early access for Crown & Anchor

ALLURE OF THE SEAS

Itinerary

7 NIGHT EASTERN CARIBBEAN CRUISE

Fort Lauderdale

5/28/17

Balcony D3

APRIL 11 $1429 - GGG Sale price

April 20 $1189

April 28 $1419

May 4 $1762

May 8 sold out 2 guest balcony cabins 3/4 Balconies still available

$1500 pp for 3/4 guest cabin

I have no idea what the price for this cruise was 60 days out or even 360 days out. Just wanted to check if GGG flyer release was a good time to get a good last minute price.

The best time to purchase a cruise is when the price is what you are willing to pay. Ships are really full these days. Like airlines or hotels even. No more "last minute" deals. Since you can reserve early and get price decreases prior to final sailing, why not just book as early as possible and see what happens? Seems the earlier you book the lower the price. Yes, you could miss that "new bookings only" sale, but I am willing to risk it. I have 3 cruises booked. The prices have been fluctuating since I booked them last year. Prices are only going up as the ship fills up. So the best time to book a cruise, is when you see a rate you are willing to pay. Then just watch the rates as time goes on. People get too wrapped up in "sales." Sales are a marketing scheme to attract customers. But just because the rate you paid 6 months ago is less than the current "sale" rate, isn't deception. What was the price the day before the sale? That's what you have to look at.