How long should we spend at Mendenhall?

Herfnerd

Booked the Glacier and Whale Watch tour - we were told we would be dropped off at Mendenhall first and then picked up at a time of our choosing to head to the boats for the whale watch. We have a 1:30pm time slot on 9/4

Just curious what everyone thinks is a good time to spend? We know we want to hike to Nugget Falls and the photo point and wonder if 2 hours will do it any justice......

It's been a few years since we were there but if the weather is nice there will be a lot of people. One and a half to two hour should be sufficient for hiking to the falls and taking plenty of pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your admission includes the Visitor Center. What time is your whale watch? There isn't much to do at the marinas, so, I'd choose to only be about a half hour waiting to board the whale watch and the rest of the time at Mendenhall, at least there, you have some benches nice scenery and multiple trails to wander. What marina are you at? Dolphin's for example is a congested parking lot.

Your admission includes the Visitor Center. What time is your whale watch? There isn't much to do at the marinas, so, I'd choose to only be about a half hour waiting to board the whale watch and the rest of the time at Mendenhall, at least there, you have some benches nice scenery and multiple trails to wander. What marina are you at? Dolphin's for example is a congested parking lot.

We chose the 1:30 pick up and they drop us off at Mendenhall and pick us up at the time of our choosing. I had seen that they pick up at half hour intervals so was planning on a 4pm pick up to the whale watch boat - it's a 2 hour boat trip and I see that sunset is 7pm. Hope to get back to take the tram up Mt Roberts around sunset - weather permitting

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2 hours is perfect on a sunny day. You might only need 20 minutes if it's a downpour.

Not everyone changes their touring plans based on the weather. If you are only there for a day, and it happens to be raining that day, it would be a shame to miss out on the things you wanted to do. Considering how much it rains in Alaska, you'd miss a lot if you skipped things just because it was raining!