Ireland and Iceland on the Eclipse - this time last year ...

MrsNorman

We are so blessed to have these wonderful holidays and their memories, and this time last year we were on the Eclipse on our way to Iceland. Today last year we were in St Peter Port, our first stop, in Guernsey. We were delayed going ashore because of the sea fog as we were tendered there, but once it cleared we seemed to be going ashore very quickly. It was quite well organised with first come first served tickets issued to avoid a stampede when the fog cleared. The people on excursions would have got off first. The weather ashore was overcast, but remained dry, and Mr Norman and I walked around the harbour to the Castle Cornet and from the turrets we could see, as the fog cleared, the other channel islands emerging from the mist. It seemed like a lovely place to visit ourselves for longer, and use St Peter Port as a base for seeing the island.

I wrote a review last year called "Beautiful Iceland, Beautiful Eclipse" which somebody might like to read if they are interested, but I believe that one of the Iceland stops has been withdrawn this year and an additional stop in Dublin has been added - I think that they are actually in Dublin today. I would like to be there and await the reviews from that cruise when they come!

The Eclipse is a beautiful ship, and we are sorry that she is not going to be sailing from Southampton as from next year, but we look forward to travelling on the Silhouette next May when we go on our next cruise. Happy cruising, everyone! :)

We had booked this year's Iceland/Ireland sailing for May 7, 2017 when if first opened up. But then they announced it was going to be the President's Cruise and then they took away a port in Iceland and replaced it with Dublin. I assume that was done because next year Celebrity will home port a ship in Dublin. They also shortened one of the stops in Iceland. After all that we decided to cancel because we really booked the cruise for Iceland as our son has been begging us to go since he was in high school (he's 27 now).

Glad that you have such wonderful memories and a great trip.

We were also some of the lucky ones who did that cruise and had the additional stop in Iceland - and magical it was.

Our review is here: http://travellove.one/Our-Trips/Eclipse-Iceland-1/eclipse-iceland-1.html

Iceland was just beautiful!!!!

Thank you so much for giving us this link to your wonderful review! I am going to take it on holiday with me tomorrow - a holiday nearer home this time - and digest it properly. I am sure my husband will love it too. :D

I was also on the same cruise and wrote a review, http://thepreismans.com/iceland_Ire_1.htm . It was a wonderful cruise and we were blessed with great weather. Which of the Iceland ports are they skipping, so they could add Dublin? I would hate to have missed any of them. They were all so special and unique.

Which of the Iceland ports are they skipping, so they could add Dublin? I would hate to have missed any of them. They were all so special and unique.

Isafjordur.

We were to have 4 straight days in Iceland: Akureyri, Isafjordur then Reykjavik overnight and they shortened ports. 9 am - 7 pm in Akureyri was changed from 8 am - 4:30 pm; Reykjavik was 9 am - 3 pm (the next day) now 11 am - 3 pm (the next day). So luckily they made all these changes well before final payment so we canceled.

Isafjordur.

We were to have 4 straight days in Iceland: Akureyri, Isafjordur then Reykjavik overnight and they shortened ports. 9 am - 7 pm in Akureyri was changed from 8 am - 4:30 pm; Reykjavik was 9 am - 3 pm (the next day) now 11 am - 3 pm (the next day). So luckily they made all these changes well before final payment so we canceled.

That is a terrible change to the itinerary. The Iceland ports were the main reason for going on the cruise. Taking out Isafjordur and reducing the time in port really seems to downgraded the Iceland experience. I hope they go back to the previous itinerary for you in future years, since it is a winner. I am so glad I went last year. Four days really gave us a good taste of the amazing country.

I was also on the same cruise and wrote a review, http://thepreismans.com/iceland_Ire_1.htm . It was a wonderful cruise and we were blessed with great weather. Which of the Iceland ports are they skipping, so they could add Dublin? I would hate to have missed any of them. They were all so special and unique.

Many thanks for sharing your review. It is wonderful to be able to revisit Iceland from a different viewpoint and your photographs are wonderful :D

Many thanks for sharing your review. It is wonderful to be able to revisit Iceland from a different viewpoint and your photographs are wonderful :D

I always enjoy seeing other peoples reviews from a cruise I was on, like Miaminice's. It is interesting to see the different experiences people can have when they are on the same ship and stopping at the same ports. Vive la difference!