Accessible cabin / Cabin Upgrade question - 6002

gibbetygibb

Hi Everyone,

My partner and I are doing our first Cunard cruise on May 24th on the QM2 and are very excited to try it, as we usually sail Celebrity / Princess. We sail from Southampton to New York and then after disembarking are traveling to Washington, NYC and Niagara Falls for 9 days :).

We were not going to do a holiday in the first half of this year as our summer holiday is rather steep, but I saw this cruise at a bargain of a price for an Oceanview Guarantee so I saw no harm in trying a last minute cheapie. We haven't not had a balcony before but for 7 days I figured it was doable, especially on a TA crossing. In the least pretentious way possible, we usually go for a reasonably sized suite on Celebrity, and so I knew this was going to be a bit of a reality dose, but was confident the cabins would still be lovely.

We were allocated our cabin yesterday and sadly it appears to be an accessible / handicap cabin - 6002. The advantage of this is the greater amount of space which I'm of course grateful for, but it has a very small porthole window, and I'm really not fond of the handicap bathrooms / location of the cabin on the ship (right at the front almost within the bow). I personally don't like the rooms being modified in this way and often find they are the last to be updated as well. I also feel quite guilty having a handicap room.

I wondered if anyone had any feedback about this cabin? I think I may call up and see the cost of upgrading, but I have also heard it may be worth going to the Pursers Office onboard and seeing if we can swap out of a handicap room? Does anyone have any experience of changing cabins once onboard? Or paying onboard to upgrade?

Many thanks for your time!

Adam

Exactly the same happened to us in 2015, when on a back to back. We had only booked balcony cabins before but the deal at the time was excellent for guarantee ocean view and out of our price range for balconies.

We were firstly given 2 different cabins for each leg, so we were very pleased to find they had changed this and given us 4001 for the whole trip. We were thrilled when we arrived in our cabin as it was so big. The window is not a porthole, it is a square window and gave plenty of light and views. To be honest, apart from the extra handrails etc in the enormous bathroom there isn't much to notice. For us the space was luxurious and we felt very lucky. I'm sure Cunard would not allocate this cabin if it was needed.

We had no problem with the forward position as QM2 is a very stable ship.

Edited by Koukla-mou

Hi Everyone,

My partner and I are doing our first Cunard cruise on May 24th on the QM2 and are very excited to try it, as we usually sail Celebrity / Princess. We sail from Southampton to New York and then after disembarking are traveling to Washington, NYC and Niagara Falls for 9 days :).

We were not going to do a holiday in the first half of this year as our summer holiday is rather steep, but I saw this cruise at a bargain of a price for an Oceanview Guarantee so I saw no harm in trying a last minute cheapie. We haven't not had a balcony before but for 7 days I figured it was doable, especially on a TA crossing. In the least pretentious way possible, we usually go for a reasonably sized suite on Celebrity, and so I knew this was going to be a bit of a reality dose, but was confident the cabins would still be lovely.

We were allocated our cabin yesterday and sadly it appears to be an accessible / handicap cabin - 6002. The advantage of this is the greater amount of space which I'm of course grateful for, but it has a very small porthole window, and I'm really not fond of the handicap bathrooms / location of the cabin on the ship (right at the front almost within the bow). I personally don't like the rooms being modified in this way and often find they are the last to be updated as well. I also feel quite guilty having a handicap room.

I wondered if anyone had any feedback about this cabin? I think I may call up and see the cost of upgrading, but I have also heard it may be worth going to the Pursers Office onboard and seeing if we can swap out of a handicap room? Does anyone have any experience of changing cabins once onboard? Or paying onboard to upgrade?

Many thanks for your time!

Adam

Hi Adam, I had this cabin on the world cruise in 2013, it was an upgrade from a normal ocean view.

It was fabulous, the extra space was great, from solo it was like being in a palace, the only minus was the amount of wardrobe space which strangely was less than normal staterooms.

You can always try the hotel manager once you are on board and ask the cost of an upgrade, it has to be referred back to shoreside but if they have availability you might have some luck.

Incidentally Carnival works on their ships sailing as close to 100 % full, so if its that important to you best not to leave it to chance

.best of luck... Roscoe