Oceanview (OB) upgrade to Balcony (BD category) for $50 - worth it?

oceanfun77

I called expedia asking for any upgrade possibility because the price o my cruise dropped so much. I am currently in Oceanview (OB) category on Deck 5 and they offered me an upgrade to Balcony (BD category) for $50 for both persons. Is this worth it?

I checked NCL website and OB category is currently selling for $999, and Balcony BD Category is only selling for $949 though.

Thanks!

Is the $50 actually going to NCL or is it a change fee?

How many days is the cruise? Personally, assuming it's 7 days, $25 per person would be worth it to me to get a balcony and a slightly larger cabin and a higher deck (but I would want to choose the room).

If know if you look at the current prices it seems like they should be paying you to take an upgrade. But that's never going to happen, and thinking about it too much can only make you unhappy. :)

All things being equal, it'd be a no brainer for me. But, it may depend on the ship -- some ships have some cabins that are very noisy or very small, etc. I would also need to know what cabin it was before I said yes. If I couldn't know the actual cabin number, I'd search the BD category on the ship to find out if there are any problem cabins in that category. If there are some deal breaker problem cabins (depending on what your deal breaker might be) in the BD category, I'd think very hard about it and assume I'll get stuck with the worst one, and then decide if I could live with that or not.

A balcony is nice -- I book them, but we don't really use it that much. Some people do like to sit outside quite a lot, read, have breakfast out there, etc. If you think you would do that, then you might get a ton of value from a balcony cabin and a cabin size or disco noise trade off might be worth it to you.

In general though, $50 to upgrade to a balcony cabin is a smoking deal I think.